ESPN Top 500 NBA Player Rankings

Rings have nothing to do with it ?
Who better Luc Longly or Patrick Ewing ?
If you were picking a team would you knock back Charles and Karl because they had no ring ?
Does it mean John Stockton couldn't find an open shooter ?
Stats is what you look at, which is why MJ will be number one for ever. I can't see anyone ever repeating the shear bulk of amazing stats. Never once did he fail to win a Finals MVP. Not many players can say their post season stats are better than their regulars, and have played 14 seasons of finals, that's every year. The gap back to second is huge.
But I believe that some of todays players have more talent, but that is to be expected. Jordan was before his time.

And who you play against. Duncan didn't have a Jordan lead Bulls to deal with all his carer. Also the PF depth is a lot weaker then it was in Malone's era.

I see your point, however you can't go comparing eras, otherwise where do you stop with the comparisons?

Rings have nothing to do with it ?
Who better Luc Longly or Patrick Ewing ?
If you were picking a team would you knock back Charles and Karl because they had no ring ?
Does it mean John Stockton couldn't find an open shooter ?
Stats is what you look at, which is why MJ will be number one for ever. I can't see anyone ever repeating the shear bulk of amazing stats. Never once did he fail to win a Finals MVP. Not many players can say their post season stats are better than their regulars, and have played 14 seasons of finals, that's every year. The gap back to second is huge.
But I believe that some of todays players have more talent, but that is to be expected. Jordan was before his time.

I'm not sure who you are replying to here as you start off asking like you are saying that of course rings have something to do with it and then you start talking about great players with no rings.

I think if were talking about who's a better PLAYER rings don't mean much. If were talking about greatest TEAMS then rings mean heaps.

Basketball is a team sport so talking about team championships when discussing about who's the better player doesn't really account for much.

It really depends on how much of an effect that player had on them winning, would that team still be able to win with them off it? I've always said replace Kobe in all his ring years with another similar quality player and they would have 5 rings too (that's why I said rings aren't the be all and end all), but Duncan was just such an important piece to his teams I don't know how you could replace him and they would still win.

It really depends on how much of an effect that player had on them winning, would that team still be able to win with them off it? I've always said replace Kobe in all his ring years with another similar quality player and they would have 5 rings too (that's why I said rings aren't the be all and end all), but Duncan was just such an important piece to his teams I don't know how you could replace him and they would still win.

Fair opinion mate but it also depends on the teammates the player has around them. Imagine if LeBron had good role players in 07, could LBJ get Cleveland that title if he had the right players around him?

Fair opinion mate but it also depends on the teammates the player has around them. Imagine if LeBron had good role players in 07, could LBJ get Cleveland that title if he had the right players around him?

Yeah...... that's what I said previously as well. That's why Kobe has been so successful, because he has always had great teammates (see how well they did when he didn't). Yes, TP and Ginobli (and DRob obviously when he was there) were important factors too, but without Duncan I don't see them winning any of those championships.

NBA Player Rankings 91-100 - ESPN
NBA Player Rankings 81-90 - ESPN
NBA Player Rankings 71-80 - ESPN

---------- Post added 03-10-2011 at 10:58 AM ----------

are they behind schedule or what, seems like it

Schedule
• Wednesday, Sept. 28: Players 91 to 100 announced
• Thursday, Sept. 29: Players 81 to 90 announced
• Friday, Sept. 30: Players 71 to 80 announced
• Monday, Oct. 1: Players 61 to 70 announced
• Tuesday, Oct. 2: Players 51 to 60 announced

Back