Early 90's sets

Allstar cards inc

"Got one more than Shaq!"
Real Name
Marcus
eBay User
allstar_cards_inc
As most of us started collecting in the early 90's.... I was wondering what people thought was the best set from the era 1990 to 1995 and why.
Of course I'm biased towards Fleer and I can't pick one set....both the 1992/93 and 1993/94 sets are my favs, for different reasons though.
The base set of 92/93 was average but the inserts are awesome and rare. I love the Allstar, Total D and Team Leaders inserts.....it's amazing how valuable some of these cards are!!
The 1993/94 set had a great looking base set let down by abbreviated stats on the back. This set also had great inserts....there is a distinct change in design though between the 1st and 2nd series.

What's your favourite set??

i'm biased too, but it has to be 93/94 Topps Finest

it was the prototype for super premium basketball cards

if it had failed would we have ever seen exquisite happen, or the miriad of other expensive releases (expensive relative to the early 90s norm)

I'm biased too with my pic. I started on 93-94 Upper Deck series 2. Skylights were the sought after thing along with RC's and Rookie Standouts. Rookie Standouts were amazing back in the day with there foil imprinted stamps! I never really new about Finest and I wasn't a fleer fan until later on when I bought a pack of 94-95 S2 and got the Hot Pack. Full of inserts! lol.

I like 93-94 Finest also, but my favourite is 92-93 Upper Deck.
I oike the Slam Dunk Cards, Game faces, Scoring Tandems and cool All Star Cards

I Like the Upper Deck 93-94... The color quality of the base cards are well ahead of the other ones. I dont remember seeing many bad centering from that set. And the Subsets are Cool plus the Rookie Standouts are nice...

I would agree, those skybox sets we very classy indeed.

Here is one of my fav cards from those sets.

I also liked the 1996 flair showcase...the first year with the legacy cards.

This was one of the nice inserts out of that set.

Cheers
Matt

Oh Yeah! Forgotten about those ones.... They are nice as well.... I probably just bought a lot of UD 93-94 Packs back in the days thats why I like them so much....

how did series 1 and 2 from fleer 93/94 differ?

I liked the skybox and upper deck 93/94 sets but didnt collect those. Fleer and Hoops were cheaper...Ive got the sets of em now though ehhe

You are probably right about the ZO! Bugger....

Both of the early flair sets were nice....The one with the Jordan #45 card and the year after!

Its a nice card anyway!

Cheers
Matt

What about the first Collector's Choice series?
94-95.
I remember my brother and I went down to the card shop (just a few footsteps from our Primary School!)back in the early days. He bought 2 packs of Jumbo Coll. Choice, the bastard pulled a Shaq Gold Sig (Tip offs? or ProFiles) and a Shaq Crash the Game card. That was a totally awesome back in the day

HAHAHA oh goodness... I was in Kmart, begged my mother to get me a collectors Trading card album that came with a bonus pack of fleer series 2 94/95... $10 for the folder and cards... got a hot pack... if I wasn't already hooked, I was by then!

Though I have to agree that Skybox premium were the coolest looking series from that 90-95 time frame.

But my most sought after card from that time frame is the Finest Refractor RC of Rider - which I will have my hands on very soon thanks to Lippo!

This forum has been a Godsend... thanks heaps to mavsman for the link!

how did series 1 and 2 from fleer 93/94 differ?

That was in reference to the inserts. Series one inserts seemed to follow the "lavender-metallic border" theme..."Allstars", "Internationals", "Rookie Sensations" and to a lesser extent the Clyde Drexler ones. Then in series 2 they're bolder, brighter and mostly full-bleed (except the 1st year phenoms).

I'll stick to 93-94 products... Due to financial reasons in the beginning I bought mainly a lot of 93-94 Fleer, Hoops and Skybox packs.

My first pack purchase was 93-94 Hoops and first box purchase came some months later - a 93-94 Hoops S1 box for $120 from my local newsagent(my savings and b'day $$ invested). I boasted about the bargain to all my mates, this was early 1994 The MOJO was a Malone/Mullin Face to Face, MJ/Miner or Shaq/DRob was what I wanted. Base was pretty average but a good player 5th Anni gold was always sweet. Most could afford Hoops, if not you got TOPPS or nothing I guess. LOL
Face to Face from S1 and Magic's All-Rookie Team from S2 = MOJO!
The sports shop in Karrinyup wanted to buy as many Webber Magics All Rookies for $60ea -- everyone knew they were a rip off and no-one would ever sell #-o

I also went through the 93-94 Skybox draft pick card faze where I tried to collect all 26 individually #-o eg commons $4-$5ea at the time, Webber $60+, Penny $50+. These cards are really NICE looking. I eventually finished the set some years later and went on to collect a second set. I would be willing to flip this if anyone is interested, just thought I'd mention as I see some of you like it too. The Thunder and Lightning are also really nice if you get them MINT. Shaq Talks annoy me and I collect him The base cards weren't anything great, the changing faces suck, but the art cards were good.

93-94 Fleer Ultra imo was the best set for mojo inserts, medium range priced too. All Defensive, Jam City, Scoring Kings, Power in the Key Don't tell me you collected 93-94 products and a MJ All Def or Scoring King wasn't high up on your wish list [-X 93-94 Fleer is covered well, I'll only say Tower of Powers from the jumbo packs were HOT and the All-Stars are very nice.

I could go on... :roll: I have most decent 92-94 inserts sets in my collection still. Time for dinner! =P~

Nice write up Just. Power in the key were great but not as cool as Tower of Power! Some great insert ideas but they started to run thing later on.

I pulled a Penny Hoops RC 5th ani and got stacks of trade value for it. I made out like a bandit LOL. Got full book and over seeing it was hot!