Dominance 2020 (series 2) discussion thread

each to there own, but plenty of special cards in this release
Capt signatures dont get released every year (and they are super special and high end)
the dominance and influential are fantastic and bound to be super tough to find in years to come
some great players signatures to chase
just my opinion... putting the negatives of yesterday aside, the release is very special.
As you say each to their own, but for mine besides the low production number there's nothing to make dominance and influential special. $500-$1000 for an unsigned card limited to 50-60 or $300-$500 for a signature card limited to 100 (early 2000s select). I know which one I'd value more.

Last edited:
lol ebay listings going crazy...... buy nows of $700+ come on!
surely no one is stupid enough to pay that.

Whats the solution. Select to print more boxes next year? lowering individual card values? same print run raise the box price and more to collectors?

Tough really

lol ebay listings going crazy...... buy nows of $700+ come on!
surely no one is stupid enough to pay that.

Whats the solution. Select to print more boxes next year? lowering individual card values? same print run raise the box price and more to collectors?

Tough really

Allow collectors to purchase the product would be the first step........

Tough really

The solution unfortunately is one of those two options...

The issue with Select cards now (outside of footy stars) is that the cards inside the box/case are worth more than than the price of the box/case

As a result you get the current demand for sealed product and the crazy mark ups on the secondary market because the sealed product is too cheap

Busting should be about the fun of the bust, the gamble of the bust or for set collectors.... It shouldnt be that you have an approx 75%+ chance to make a profit on a box (Dominance and Prestige) or guaranteed profit (Supremacy).... with a $100% chance to pretty much make a profit on a case of either of these three releases at RRP

As a result of this, the opportunists and investors are making it harder for the collectors to get access to product.... Not saying this is bad or good, just stating a fact....

Personally, I think Dominance should be around $330 a box and prestige should have been $200 on release and in future, I think if print runs remain the same, this is what we will see, as I would prefer this than a watered down product kept at the same price point....

While Select keep releasing product that basically guarantees a profit by at least the case level, we will see the flippers and "investors" getting in before the collectors as they are a lot more savvy about it then your average collector

Select arent stupid.. they have done this on purpose... it has given them a licence to raise prices on Prestige and Dominance next year without looking like the bad guy.... If they had come out of the gate this year with Dominance at $300+ they would have gotten crazy backlash.... Now, we all will be expecting it and eventually agreeing with it because of what happened at 10.30am Thursday the 31st of August 2020

An increase to 700 cases like Certified is possible next year if demand is still high.

Lets break down the case value of this set.

Influentials in 2017 were one per case, not one per nine boxes. Not all the stock hit the market because it took years to sell out. Luke Hodge was highest priced near $700 at the time, other players were available $500 or less. Half of them were between $100-$300. They also devalued footy's finest in series 2. Footy's finest fell from $200-$300 average down by at least $50 due to the extra influential card.
Captain signature prices have landed between $300-$500 from last year, even gen next has fallen to $500-$600, this years gen next may not be so popular as Collingwood. Most high flyers were available between $100-$200 last year although some famous names in this years set may be higher. Most of the Dominance were around $200 from memory, I think I picked up a gold coast for around $70. Half of the draft sigs haven't played for their teams yet and the major card is gold coast. Premiership commemorative will probably be worth the same or less on average then prem predictors with the remainder on par.

Average case breakdown values in my opinion. If you get lucky and hit major players or a few jumper or number #1, maybe the value goes above $4,000 but on average, I think it will be lower with many cards hard to move on after the initial rush.

Influential 1.3 per case $300 ($400)
Captain signature or gen next $400
Dominance $200
High Flyers x 2 $400
medal winners x 4 $100
aa sets x 3 $75
commons $50
players ink x 6 $200
dps x 6 $200
prem commemorative x 12 $300
rookies x 36 $500
on the rise x 48 $300
parallel x 144 $350
case card $60

The solution unfortunately is one of those two options...

The issue with Select cards now (outside of footy stars) is that the cards inside the box/case are worth more than than the price of the box/case

As a result you get the current demand for sealed product and the crazy mark ups on the secondary market because the sealed product is too cheap

Busting should be about the fun of the bust, the gamble of the bust or for set collectors.... It shouldnt be that you have an approx 75%+ chance to make a profit on a box (Dominance and Prestige) or guaranteed profit (Supremacy).... with a $100% chance to pretty much make a profit on a case of either of these three releases at RRP

As a result of this, the opportunists and investors are making it harder for the collectors to get access to product.... Not saying this is bad or good, just stating a fact....

Personally, I think Dominance should be around $330 a box and prestige should have been $200 on release and in future, I think if print runs remain the same, this is what we will see, as I would prefer this than a watered down product kept at the same price point....

While Select keep releasing product that basically guarantees a profit by at least the case level, we will see the flippers and "investors" getting in before the collectors as they are a lot more savvy about it then your average collector

Select arent stupid.. they have done this on purpose... it has given them a licence to raise prices on Prestige and Dominance next year without looking like the bad guy.... If they had come out of the gate this year with Dominance at $300+ they would have gotten crazy backlash.... Now, we all will be expecting it and eventually agreeing with it because of what happened at 10.30am Thursday the 31st of August 2020

i agree, id much rather see a price of $350 which would let more get through to collectors as many flippers wouldnt buy as many as the margin just isnt as big / worth it

But you bump the price that high and the risk of hitting dud teams is even greater. I like busting boxes, and at $245 i was willing to risk it and have a crack. But if the same boxes were available to collectors at $350 each I wouldn't touch them. Imagine paying $700 for 2 boxes and hitting nothing but Freo and Suns cards with no big hits. My suggestion would be Select just need to make this same product at the same price but make a lot more available to the collectors.

But you bump the price that high and the risk of hitting dud teams is even greater. I like busting boxes, and at $245 i was willing to risk it and have a crack. But if the same boxes were available to collectors at $350 each I wouldn't touch them. Imagine paying $700 for 2 boxes and hitting nothing but Freo and Suns cards with no big hits. My suggestion would be Select just need to make this same product at the same price but make a lot more available to the collectors.

meaning cards numbered higher? making individual cards less?

we cant really have it both ways. cheap boxes which flippers will buy lots of or higher prices and more chances at boxers

nothing should be a certain. sure you hit suns and Freo, or you could hit Richmond and collingwood. Its a gamble

But select have done that with this release, retailers got way less than they normally would so they could sell more through there website and it hasn’t worked

there are normally a couple in regional Victoria that do - Traralgon and Bendigo.

I am in Traralgon and seen the manager of AFL shop today, don't bother coming from other areas as he said he will not sell to strangers

meaning cards numbered higher? making individual cards less?

we cant really have it both ways. cheap boxes which flippers will buy lots of or higher prices and more chances at boxers

nothing should be a certain. sure you hit suns and Freo, or you could hit Richmond and collingwood. Its a gamble

No not cards numbers higher, same as this year and at same price, but more available for the average everyday collector. Limit pre sales to wholesale, limited box purchases to 2 per customer. That way more people like me get a chance at a bit of busting and trading fun. I am making these comments from my point of view only as i have been buying anywhere between 2-6 boxes of series 2 each year since 2006 and this is the first year that probably wont happen. I am aware it's a gamble to hit the unwanted clubs, but at $245 I am willing to take that chance, at $350 a box for the exact same stuff forget it.

I know what your saying mate and Id agree in a perfect world, but if everything stays the same we will just seen what has happened with Dominance 2 with every release. I wouldnt buy boxes at $350 either most likely, id just stick to singles.... but at least I wouldnt have hope that I could get it at $245 a box or $2800 a case only for it to be sold out in under a minute

have to keep the retailers happy as they are the ones that push and sell the not so popular series 1 etc

Back
Top Bottom