Dominance 2020 (series 2) discussion thread

It’s funny how all the sellers on eBay that have shoved the price up 90% of them have less then 20 feedback

My interest was already dropping due to the ridiculous prices for multiple unsigned/non-guernsey cards making it impossible to chase every Collingwood card. Now that boxes are crazy too I can't even hope to hit one of these over-valued cards or a nice signature via a box.

Edit: You just have to look at how many hilite cards are on ebay and the massive increase in the total of each card sold/produced (from 100-150 to 200-280) to see that people are becoming more and more interested in making a profit than collecting.

Last edited:
It's hard as a collector we bought a box because it was fun to open and if you were lucky you would get a rare hit.
I've been collecting for over 30 years and the hardest part is seeing the hobby you love being taken over by investors.
The whole sports card industry is being taken over by investors and driven by influencers such as Gary vernichuck.
Now people such as Grayson from cherry say this is amazing and although card values are high I collect for fun and nostalgia.
And the love of my teams.
It's just not fun when they want you to pay ridiculous prices for a box of cards.
And risk your family for a hobby no matter how much we love it.

Sold listings unbelievable

8514A148-320E-459F-925A-B7464D6B4423.png

Odds of finding $570 value in an average box is highly unlikely. Unless you hit a captain Sig or Influential. Doubt netting a dominance or High Flyer would give you that value unless you hit a big team.

Crazy times.

Odds of finding $570 value in an average box is highly unlikely. Unless you hit a captain Sig or Influential. Doubt netting a dominance or High Flyer would give you that value unless you hit a big team.

Crazy times.

The vast majority of boxes won’t have anywhere near $245 of value in them either. Typical breakdown of many boxes will be:

Medal winner - $25-30
Players Ink - $30-40
Premiership commemorative - $25-30
Rookies x3 - $10-20 each
On the rise x4 - $5-7 each?
Holo parallels x12 - $2-5 each

From the look of it, 3 boxes per case won’t even have the medal winner card.

yeah pretty much no value unless you hit a monster, even at $245 a box, that's half the risk/thrill of the bust i guess

but the ones buying those boxers would be a breaker, knowing they'll get the money back + change

True. But a break spot for a box of that price would be $35 minimum once postage is taken into account. $35 is with no profit for breaker.

Breakers wont make their money back if you don't go in it. Nothing special about the set anyway. Will stay away from Select cards now and just concentrate on the old Scanlens.

The vast majority of boxes won’t have anywhere near $245 of value in them either. Typical breakdown of many boxes will be:

Medal winner - $25-30
Players Ink - $30-40
Premiership commemorative - $25-30
Rookies x3 - $10-20 each
On the rise x4 - $5-7 each?
Holo parallels x12 - $2-5 each

From the look of it, 3 boxes per case won’t even have the medal winner card.
I think the medal winners will be worth a little more than that, I feel a card that is only found 1 in every 108 packs might get a better price. But the rest I think could be pretty accurate. Obviously if you hit the more sought after names you’ll get more, but that seems like a decent average guess for most of those.

I think the medal winners will be worth a little more than that, I feel a card that is only found 1 in every 108 packs might get a better price. But the rest I think could be pretty accurate. Obviously if you hit the more sought after names you’ll get more, but that seems like a decent average guess for most of those.

I agree medal winners should sell for more but historically they don't. Even last year's Dominance set had medal winners of the two most collectable clubs (Riewoldt and Stephenson - Tigers and Pies) that could be found for under $30. In fact I checked eBay just now and you could pick up a Riewoldt Coleman Winners card from last year's set for $25 delivered.

To get the $4k bounty back, it would seem influentials and captain sigs will need to sit at the $1k+ mark.

$1k is not uncommon for the 2001 captain sigs, but will people pay $1k for a non sig card in Aus? Time will tell.

I agree medal winners should sell for more but historically they don't. Even last year's Dominance set had medal winners of the two most collectable clubs (Riewoldt and Stephenson - Tigers and Pies) that could be found for under $30. In fact I checked eBay just now and you could pick up a Riewoldt Coleman Winners card from last year's set for $25 delivered.
Yeah that’s actually pretty crazy.
We will have to wait and see what this new found “hype” to the hobby does for card prices. Think people will start valuing rookie cards more since that’s what a lot of other sports value. It’s an interesting time.

To get the $4k bounty back, it would seem influentials and captain sigs will need to sit at the $1k+ mark.

$1k is not uncommon for the 2001 captain sigs, but will people pay $1k for a non sig card in Aus? Time will tell.
yes they will mate...the Dusty show stopper went for $1000+ multiple times just this year
same with the De Goey show stopper
years ago, no way going at 1k. but we live it different times now..

Breakers wont make their money back if you don't go in it. Nothing special about the set anyway. Will stay away from Select cards now and just concentrate on the old Scanlens.
each to there own, but plenty of special cards in this release
Capt signatures dont get released every year (and they are super special and high end)
the dominance and influential are fantastic and bound to be super tough to find in years to come
some great players signatures to chase
just my opinion... putting the negatives of yesterday aside, the release is very special.

A quest for money is the number one driver to this craziness. Within that there's two main types; investors who corner the market by hoarding cards to sell months/years later at prices they can then set and profiteers who buy in bulk to immediately flip (often on ebay) at highly inflated prices or to sell breaks. Both are as bad as each other and combined they just keep pushing the price out of the reach of the common collector.

I think the current environment also plays some part. Some people have more money than they otherwise would through government stimulus payments, others are desperate due to job losses and are looking to make a few bucks and people are spending much more time at home due to the restrictions.

Thankfully at the moment it only appears to be recent releases that are affected meaning I still have a few things I can chase. Things that I see as better value for money. I'm hoping that the current price bubble will eventually bust and I can buy some of these recent cards at much less inflated prices.

Back
Top Bottom