ScottE

Go Brock
Real Name
Scott
eBay User
scotteamy
Saw this on the foxsports web site.

Daniher to quit Melbourne

June 27, 2007 NEALE Daniher announced today he would quit as coach of the Melbourne Demons at the end of the 2007 season.

Daniher made the decision not to seek re-appointment this morning, adding that it would "stop a lot of this uncertainty" surrounding the club and the coaching position.

He made the shock announcement the day after the club revealed it was undertaking a full coaching review in the wake of last Friday's 49-point humiliation by Richmond.

"I was hoping to have a bit more time to think about it instead of going through this," Daniher said.

"It's best for the club, it's best for the players, I think it's best for me."

The 46-year-old Daniher said he planned to remain at the helm of the Demons for the remaining 10 rounds of 2007. And he said he intended to resume his coaching career at another club in the coming years.

Daniher took over from caretaker Greg Hutchison as Demons coach at the start of the 1998 season.

He led the club to six finals series, including the 2000 grand final which it lost to Essendon.

But after reaching the finals for the previous three years, Melbourne has slumped to second-last in 2007.

LOL jump before you are pushed? i still say he's gone by seasons end, might as well get someone new in since Daniher wont be there anyway

Well thank you Neale for your service, but I must agree that it is your time. I hope they don't do him the injustice of shunting him before seasons end. It's not going to do any good to have a caretaker in there instead of him anyhow so let him ride out the end of his 10 years with us.

Now who to coach? Voss would be good I reckon, great suggestion scott! Though I wonder if this will make Garry Lyon finally put his hand up and have a shot at coaching? (despite all the media money he'd be giving up).

Well thank you Neale for your service, but I must agree that it is your time. I hope they don't do him the injustice of shunting him before seasons end. It's not going to do any good to have a caretaker in there instead of him anyhow so let him ride out the end of his 10 years with us.

Now who to coach? Voss would be good I reckon, great suggestion scott! Though I wonder if this will make Garry Lyon finally put his hand up and have a shot at coaching? (despite all the media money he'd be giving up).

I think Lyon would be perfect but I doubt he will walk away from TV.

I think Lyon would be perfect but I doubt he will walk away from TV.

Agreed. He commanded such leadership and status on the field, I fail to see how he'd not command the same as a coach. But also agree that he most likely will not walk from tv...but it must be said, if he's going to, this would have to be the opportunity wouldn't it?

However as you suggested, Voss would be great if not Garry! Loved him as a player and like Clarkson is doing in Hawthorn, I reckon he'd instill some much needed grit, aggression and hardness into the guys. Too often this season I have left the game thinking, we didn;t even hit them hard...

Agreed. He commanded such leadership and status on the field, I fail to see how he'd not command the same as a coach. But also agree that he most likely will not walk from tv...but it must be said, if he's going to, this would have to be the opportunity wouldn't it?

However as you suggested, Voss would be great if not Garry! Loved him as a player and like Clarkson is doing in Hawthorn, I reckon he'd instill some much needed grit, aggression and hardness into the guys. Too often this season I have left the game thinking, we didn;t even hit them hard...

Great points, Melbourne has the list to be right up there they just need some toughness around the ball and some luck with injuries. And your right Voss would be the man to implement that.

Mark Harvey could be another to do those things. I would have loved to see him get the Essendon job after Sheeds but I don't think that will happen.

Who else is out there at the moment? How about these assistants and former senior coaches...

John Longmire, Gary Ayres, Dennis Pagan (?), Grant Thomas, Danny Frawley, Guy McKenna, Peter Sumich....

I wouldn't look twice at Longmire, or Sumich as first timers and Ayres and Pagan have had their day in my opinion (and didn;t Pagan just re-sign or some such?)
As for Thomas I wouldn't get him to caoch an under 10s team. How he did so poorly with the clear best roster in the league astounds me!
Frawley....hmmmm not my cup of tea.

McKenna I wouldn't mind I don't think.

Great players don't always make great coaches and at least Sumich and Longmire are already coaches ;-)

its certainly is a tough gig being a afl coach,i think daniher is a good coach,but its all luck in this game,and at the end of the day the coach cops it in the neck everytime,i say bring back ron barassi,malcom blight

dont think any club would risk throwing vossy in as a walk up start head coach would they,as much as he was a great leader,theres no coach experience there!

cheers

he has been a great servant for the demons over 10 years, been a great leader and been a great face in the media but it's because of the players ND's reign is about to end.
I personally say we take a punt and sign up Voss as Coach and McLean as coach. Remember he is a champion of the game who will not have any half ass players on his team which is something we have been known to have over the past decade. Voss will keep no pets under him and he is a great knowledge of the game and not to mention he captained possibly the greatest side in AFL history to three preimerships.

Look at it this way, one way or another Voss will be coaching. Melbourne can NOW start looking for head coachs so they are the frontrunners, but Pagan, Lyon and Connolly wont have their jobs by the end of the year. Voss is a touch agnorant and SURE of himself in the fact he doesnt need an apprenticeship first and i agree with him. He has been involved in the game for a long time and tasted success and been under Matthews who with Barrassi are 2 of the best players to ever play AFL football. Matthews came straight in so why not Voss.

I think today he said if the Melbourne Job came to him he would take it with both hands.

ND will be coaching again though mark my words and he should because he is a fantastic coach but didnt have the cattle to get him across the line.
My only criticism which has led to him resigning, is he couldnt get the best out of the players and didnt change it up when things were going bad.

A new face in Melbourne is going to do the world of good.
:thumbsup:

I wouldnt mind: Voss, Harvey, McKenna or Mark Williams even.

I think the front runners would be Longmire (has a great reputation), Grant Thomas will come up buy i doubt Melb would be interested. Vossy is a chance depends what Melb's view of him is a i guess... do they wanna try an untried coach...

Mark Harvey would certainly be up there. But the guy who i would like to see coach them is Gary Lyon. This guy has a great knowledge of the game and would certainly get the kids firing..

Mckenna, may go for the Freo job if Connolly goes, but you never know...

man ive heard rumours and not good ones too.

#1 - Conolley comes back to Melbourne Ahahahaha
#2 - Blues go after Voss and we get Pagan ahahah

we have to try something fresh and Michael Voss is a risk but one worth making. He has too big of a reputation to coach a team thaat wouldnt be a contender.

Hopefully we see a few delisting and even trades on our part at the end of the year.

It came as a big shock to see Danihers call it quits after he has been trying to hold onto his job for so long through good times and bad.

Back
Top Bottom