tak35bne

OzCardTrader
Real Name
Dave
eBay User
tack35
COMC User
tak35bne
My wife heard on the radio this morning that Israel Folau has opted to sign with the Melbourne Rebels playing rahrah..........................sad day indeed.

It seems like more of the same rumours flying around for the last couple of weeks. Can't find any confirmation on this. Which reliable news source did you hear it - B105 ?? :lol: :lol:

Todays paper says,

THE Brisbane Broncos are resigned to the fact Israel Folau will walk out on the club at season's end to take up a massive offer - believed to be close to $1 million a season - with the Melbourne Rebels.

Folau has until Friday to decide whether he will take up a two-year option to remain at the Broncos, but he would be sacrificing up to $500,000 a season to stay in rugby league.

Brisbane CEO Bruno Cullen admitted he was increasingly nervous about the club's prospects of retaining Folau as he weighs up the huge offer to join the fledgling Super rugby franchise.

"You are always nervous when they haven't signed and if the offer is anywhere near the vicinity of what is being speculated, we are obviously going to struggle," Cullen said last night. "It would be very disappointing to lose him. But we understand it is a substantial offer and what do you say to a young kid who has the chance to make quite extraordinary amounts of money at such an early stage of his career?

"He has told us he really loves rugby league and enjoys being at the Broncos.

"But this offer has come along in the past few days and it will be difficult for him to ignore."

The Rebels' offer is approaching $1 million a season, with the ARU's contribution to be propped up by third-party arrangements.

Following Karmichael Hunt's shock defection to join the new AFL side on the Gold Coast last year, the loss of Folau, who has scored six tries in five games this season, would rip a massive hole in the Broncos backline.

But Cullen said NRL clubs were powerless to fight back against the massive war chests propping up the AFL and rugby union expansion sides.

He also vehemently denied speculation sweeping the game yesterday that Folau's Broncos contract had been supplemented by a $200,000 "off the table" cash injection provided by high-profile supporters group The Thoroughbreds.

"From my position it is very disappointing to have those sorts of aspersions cast," Cullen said.

"When Israel came to us, even [then Storm CEO] Brian Waldron spruiked that he hadn't joined the Broncos for football reasons, but to be closer to his family. From my understanding he came for less than what the Storm had offered him to stay."

Stalwart Reds winger Peter Hynes yesterday said he could understand the Rebels' big-money play for Folau. "He's a big, powerful guy with unbelievable aerial work and he already has the profile in Melbourne."

I don't think the deal is 100% done yet but with that type of money being thrown around it would be pretty hard for him to say no.

I agree. It's no good to insist on protecting an even competition if the standard of the compeition continues to drop.... Folau, Hunt, Wing (not to mention all the blokes in England!)

Not confirmed as of yet - 30th April deadline on Folau contract with Broncos to activate leaving clause. It will be sad to see him go (If he does), but as they say money talks.

This is why the Salary Cap is stupid, i would sacrifice a fair comp to keep the superstars in our game

I personally believe the salary cap is a good thing, I understand it is irrelevant for those clubs like the Sharks who can't spend up to the cap at the moment, but 8 different premiers since 2000 (including Melb) is a great indicator to me it works and works well.

Granted it does need some serious revamping; a long service discount clause for those 1 club players so as to give the clubs an opportunity to retain the assets they have developed and also the players should have the opportunity for more 3rd party sponsorship deals would go a long way to stop the player drain to other codes and or perhaps NRL top up contracts to 2 marquee players per club.

I watch most games every week because just about anyone can win on the day, IMO attendances would drop, TV audiences would drop, hence revenue would drop if 1 or 2 teams monopolised the competition year in year out, it would be a case of the rich getting richer.

It is dissapointing Folau will likely leave but he is replaceable, I doubt even if the Bronco's could match the money that they would consider him worth $1,000,000 a season.

Ross

I agree with Hobo to an extent in that all teams need to be able to be able to spend up to the cap and remain competative. HOWEVER, with 100 Aus and Kiwis in the UK, other players moving to union in Aus, Japan, France etc and even AFL pinching players, THE CAP HAS TO BE RAISED. Talent and depth in clubs is being lost. The whole Melbourne thing is a real worry too because if they fold, NRL have nothing in AFL territory. Then 1 year later Sydney gets a second AFL team - a real coup for ARL!!!

I personally believe the salary cap is a good thing, I understand it is irrelevant for those clubs like the Sharks who can't spend up to the cap at the moment, but 8 different premiers since 2000 (including Melb) is a great indicator to me it works and works well.

Granted it does need some serious revamping; a long service discount clause for those 1 club players so as to give the clubs an opportunity to retain the assets they have developed and also the players should have the opportunity for more 3rd party sponsorship deals would go a long way to stop the player drain to other codes and or perhaps NRL top up contracts to 2 marquee players per club.

I watch most games every week because just about anyone can win on the day, IMO attendances would drop, TV audiences would drop, hence revenue would drop if 1 or 2 teams monopolised the competition year in year out, it would be a case of the rich getting richer.

It is dissapointing Folau will likely leave but he is replaceable, I doubt even if the Bronco's could match the money that they would consider him worth $1,000,000 a season.

Ross

But this is where the problem lies. As Ive mentioned before Im a storm supporter, I remember watching Folau's first game, remember watching his first origin, his first test and the continual specualtion and hype about how this kid, the youngest test representatvive in the history of the game could amount to anything. The freakish ability and skill he displayed meant he could command the big money and back it up, which not every young player can do.

Now, were in the situation three years down the track, facing the very real possibility, or inevitability, that he will never play league again after this season. Why?? Money, and fair enough more power to him. Matty Elliott said the other day that he cant believe the low amounts some of his players get paid. This is the problem that Gallop and his mob of over paid under performing cronies just dont want to have anything to do with. League is losing its best players becuase they wont budge on their salary cap stance.

The salary cap hasnt evened out the playing field it has done two things. It has punished the successful clubs, to ensure they cant go back to back, or have a dynasty (as proved in the storms case, you can do it, but illegally). Clubs cant get on a run these days because the ultimate punishment you will receive for winning is to have your best players farmed out to opposition clubs who are struggling. The second thing it has done is thinned out the talent in our league. Not thinned it out between all the teams, just thinned it out in general. How many players are in England who should still be here?? Craig Gower should have started his career in penrith and finished it in penrith, but the NRL was so appealing to him, he thought a second level union competition in the south of France was more attractive. Dont get me started on Mark Gasnier either, the man should be breaking all kinds of NSW records instead of sipping wine on the french riviera. And Japanese rugby?? Come on, apart from the live sumo battles and all the sushi you can eat, whats the attraction there. Oh I remember, $$$.

I mentioned in my post in the Storm thread that one of the biggest and easiest solutions to the NRL saying "we dont have the money to raise the salary cap" is the third party agreements, but theyre standing firm on not allowing that.

And yet what have the NRL done about the exodus of players to other codes and countries?? They have done, what we all expected of them.

Nothing.

But this is where the problem lies. As Ive mentioned before Im a storm supporter, I remember watching Folau's first game, remember watching his first origin, his first test and the continual specualtion and hype about how this kid, the youngest test representatvive in the history of the game could amount to anything. The freakish ability and skill he displayed meant he could command the big money and back it up, which not every young player can do.

Now, were in the situation three years down the track, facing the very real possibility, or inevitability, that he will never play league again after this season. Why?? Money, and fair enough more power to him. Matty Elliott said the other day that he cant believe the low amounts some of his players get paid. This is the problem that Gallop and his mob of over paid under performing cronies just dont want to have anything to do with. League is losing its best players becuase they wont budge on their salary cap stance.

The salary cap hasnt evened out the playing field it has done two things. It has punished the successful clubs, to ensure they cant go back to back, or have a dynasty (as proved in the storms case, you can do it, but illegally). Clubs cant get on a run these days because the ultimate punishment you will receive for winning is to have your best players farmed out to opposition clubs who are struggling. The second thing it has done is thinned out the talent in our league. Not thinned it out between all the teams, just thinned it out in general. How many players are in England who should still be here?? Craig Gower should have started his career in penrith and finished it in penrith, but the NRL was so appealing to him, he thought a second level union competition in the south of France was more attractive. Dont get me started on Mark Gasnier either, the man should be breaking all kinds of NSW records instead of sipping wine on the french riviera. And Japanese rugby?? Come on, apart from the live sumo battles and all the sushi you can eat, whats the attraction there. Oh I remember, $$$.

I mentioned in my post in the Storm thread that one of the biggest and easiest solutions to the NRL saying "we dont have the money to raise the salary cap" is the third party agreements, but theyre standing firm on not allowing that.

And yet what have the NRL done about the exodus of players to other codes and countries?? They have done, what we all expected of them.

Nothing.

Well said :D

Nothing.
craig gower left because the pantehrs board didnt support him in relation sex scandals with wayne pearces daughter. nothing to do with cap mate. i know that fr sure. other than that well said

Nothing.

Agree 100%! And it's not likely to change any time soon, unfortunately... I mean, what's the owner's motivation to raise the cap? It's just more money out of their pockets, something they're not likely to approve of. And with the balance of power the way it is, it'll stay that way.

But the thing is, as you mentioned, the money doesn't even HAVE to come from the owners! It can come from 3rd parties who benefit from players advertising their products/buisnesses. I really don't see how the NRL even CAN get involved in that kind of thing!

And as a result of this wage constraint (you may laugh and say you'd love to be constrained to those wages, but it's still wage constraint...) you have a solid flow of talent, including some of of most talented, preferring to move countries and/or sports, than to stay and play in the game/comp that they grew up in and most likely enjoy more than the alternative.

And referring to an earlier post about the salary cap "evening the playing field", WHY is that even important??? Small buisnesses who can't keep up are swallowed up all the time, and are replaced by new buisnesses. Why does sport have to be different? I feel sorry for fans of the Bears, Magpies, Steelers, Reds, etc, but if you look at it with detatched logic, they were weak buisnesses that couldn't stay afloat... As for Cronulla now, who are supposedly in financial trouble, and literally CAN'T spend up to the cap level, well maybe they're just another buisness that has become unviable. And they had the chance to move to the central coast and get money that way, but they refused. Which is nice for the local fans. But if you can't finance a team to a level where they're at LEAST in a position to COMPETE for a premiership, and are unwilling to take a life-line, then maybe you should sell to someone who IS in a position to do this...

Hobo:David Gallop :lol:

Soon we will be watching Park Footy.........and even those players will get pinched

:lol: :lol: Please don't compare me to Gallop...... :cry::cry:

There are some similarities but I differ considerably in my views if you read my posts. I have some ideas to change things and an expansion plan. ;)

The cap needs to be changed considerably as I said discounts for loyalty / more 3rd party agreements etc but in principle it should stay, it seems that you have all forgotten how the Super League wars almost ended rugby league all together and many of today's clubs are still burdened by the debt.....

I don't know if you watch much park footy, whilst the level is obviously lower the passion and pride for playing for your club far out ways the greed of the professional footy player and hence makes it a good watch.....tribalism at its best.

But this is where the problem lies. As Ive mentioned before Im a storm supporter,

I did respond in depth to your other post...all though it was with a few under my belt.

I remember watching Folau's first game, remember watching his first origin, his first test and the continual specualtion and hype about how this kid, the youngest test representatvive in the history of the game could amount to anything. The freakish ability and skill he displayed meant he could command the big money and back it up, which not every young player can do.

Now, were in the situation three years down the track, facing the very real possibility, or inevitability, that he will never play league again after this season. Why?? Money, and fair enough more power to him.

Even without a salary cap Brisbane could not / would not match that money.....he may be actually better suited to AFL as his core strength is jumping and catching....but that is a whole other debate.....Henjak is playing him on the wrong side of the field, when you step away from the opposition towards the sideline you are always less effective than if you can step into a sliding defence..........

Matty Elliott said the other day that he cant believe the low amounts some of his players get paid. This is the problem that Gallop and his mob of over paid under performing cronies just dont want to have anything to do with. League is losing its best players becuase they wont budge on their salary cap stance.

Raising the cap wont vastly improve the bottom rung of the ladder anyway as all businesses have a minimum wage level especially when there is always another to replace them, the money will go to the talent not the fodder.

The salary cap hasnt evened out the playing field it has done two things. It has punished the successful clubs, to ensure they cant go back to back, or have a dynasty (as proved in the storms case, you can do it, but illegally). Clubs cant get on a run these days because the ultimate punishment you will receive for winning is to have your best players farmed out to opposition clubs who are struggling.

I agree there should be the opportunity for dynasties, not bought because you are rich but earned because of loyalty and subsidies. As i have said constantly....reward the loyal players that the club has invested time and money into and this will allow a dynasty.

The second thing it has done is thinned out the talent in our league. Not thinned it out between all the teams, just thinned it out in general. How many players are in England who should still be here??

Off the top of my head 2 or 3 only King, Orford and Buderus maybe Hodgson but not as many as you think, yes there are plenty playing but no current superstars.... I can't think of many more, correct me though and I reckon Manly have a better halves combo now anyway......

Craig Gower should have started his career in penrith and finished it in penrith, but the NRL was so appealing to him, he thought a second level union competition in the south of France was more attractive. Dont get me started on Mark Gasnier either, the man should be breaking all kinds of NSW records instead of sipping wine on the french riviera. And Japanese rugby?? Come on, apart from the live sumo battles and all the sushi you can eat, whats the attraction there. Oh I remember, $$$.

Gower left because he was a tosser and kept making a fool of himself when he drank and basically left in disgrace. Gasnier because the so called 3rd party sponsorships were reneged upon......it pains me greatly also as a Dragons man.

I agree although as shown in the Gasnier case maybe that money isn't so readily available......NRL top up contracts for 2 Marquee players at each club...

Nothing.

It is certainly time for them to do something more proactive. :thumbsup:

:lol: :lol: Please don't compare me to Gallop...... :cry::cry:

There are some similarities but I differ considerably in my views if you read my posts. I have some ideas to change things and an expansion plan. ;)

The cap needs to be changed considerably as I said discounts for loyalty / more 3rd party agreements etc but in principle it should stay, it seems that you have all forgotten how the Super League wars almost ended rugby league all together and many of today's clubs are still burdened by the debt.....

I don't know if you watch much park footy, whilst the level is obviously lower the passion and pride for playing for your club far out ways the greed of the professional footy player and hence makes it a good watch.....tribalism at its best.

I did respond in depth to your other post...all though it was with a few under my belt.

Even without a salary cap Brisbane could not / would not match that money.....he may be actually better suited to AFL as his core strength is jumping and catching....but that is a whole other debate.....Henjak is playing him on the wrong side of the field, when you step away from the opposition towards the sideline you are always less effective than if you can step into a sliding defence..........

Raising the cap wont vastly improve the bottom rung of the ladder anyway as all businesses have a minimum wage level especially when there is always another to replace them, the money will go to the talent not the fodder.

I agree there should be the opportunity for dynasties, not bought because you are rich but earned because of loyalty and subsidies. As i have said constantly....reward the loyal players that the club has invested time and money into and this will allow a dynasty.

Off the top of my head 2 or 3 only King, Orford and Buderus maybe Hodgson but not as many as you think, yes there are plenty playing but no current superstars.... I can't think of many more, correct me though and I reckon Manly have a better halves combo now anyway......

Gower left because he was a tosser and kept making a fool of himself when he drank and basically left in disgrace. Gasnier because the so called 3rd party sponsorships were reneged upon......it pains me greatly also as a Dragons man.

I agree although as shown in the Gasnier case maybe that money isn't so readily available......NRL top up contracts for 2 Marquee players at each club...

It is certainly time for them to do something more proactive. :thumbsup:

Yes, I do like the idea of a "loyalty clause", something like a percentage of a player's contract doesn't count against the cap, once he's been with the club "X" ammount of years, maybe up to 50% for players who have been at a club for 10 years. Also, something that encourages juniors to stay with the club that brought them up through the ranks. As for the 3rd party agreements, I'd get rid of the restrictions entirely. If a player can organize a promotion/patronage deal with a company/restaurant/service, why should that be any buisness of the NRL's?

Back
Top Bottom