Brad Newley

Bendigo has the advatage of having a loyal fanbase and always has. It bears little though when we are talking about the big cities. Bendigo and Ballarat have always had good crowds and I enjoyed playing there. They always put up a good team but SEABL crowds are traditionally not NBL crowds though due to the travel time etc.

speaking of the state the NBL is in, anyone hear the great news today? the 36ers and lightning have been put up for sale, as well as the dinstinctive dome, our team could even relocate :mad:

pro basketball in oz in on life support atm, very depressing. it probably wont ever die completely, but i dont see much growth in its future, it will just stagnate. unless some rich guys get together and do what A-League did for soccer, kind of revamp it for a new generation.

Trey said:
and A league got a 120 mil boost from foxsports this week...while the NBL continues to get put aside...

That makes some sense and at the same time is very unfair. Fair enough for Foxsports to invest in the A-league competition...if soccer continues to grow as it is (and it will for a few years yet due to the World Cup) then they will get an excellent return for their money. On the other hand Foxsports should be investing (if they already don't) the same into basketball. Both sports have high participation levels - particularly at a junior level (parents like the non-contact element) and both sports have high profile Aussie players performing well on the biggest international stages. It is perhaps more a reflection on the fact that participation in basketball is declining.

It all comes back to exposure....basketball needs to be on free to air TV. Bloody lawn-bowls gets more coverage than basketball. We need to e-mail Les Murray at SBS and ask if they can look into putting on an at least NBA game every week...it'd give those guys who host the Superbowl something to do for the rest of the year!!!

thats not a bad idea!! is there some way to get a petition together online? if we had enough people sign it im sure SBS would at least look into it!

i dont know why ESPN dont cover more games....the NFL isplayed on tv more here than basketball which is strange coz participation in gridiron in australia is very low..

i dont know why ESPN dont cover more games....the NFL isplayed on tv more here than basketball which is strange coz participation in gridiron in australia is very low..

I'd say it probably comes down to a cost factor....NBA expensive...NFL cheap??? Although the NFL broadcast rights in the US went for $6 billion (I could be way off the mark with that)....compare that to the AFL $720 million.

Back
Top Bottom