Brad Newley

mattyj

Multi-Player Collector
Real Name
Matty
just read this on draftexpress that Brad Newley has declared for the 2006 NBA Draft..WE might have another aussie running around in the NBA to join Bogut and Shenscher (or however his name is spelled)

The are predicting him to go in the 2nd round, hopefully he impresses at the pre-draft camps and moves into the 1st round :)

yeh i saw him play on ESPN a few times (cant remember what college hes at) but he looked good...havent seen his name pop up at all...anyone know what class he is? (junior, sophomore etc)??

he's going to be a Junior, after Freshman season was looking sharp, crap Sophomore season, has another 2 years to turn it around because he definately has 1st round potential.

I remember Bogut said that he would be the next guy to come over from Australia and play in the NBA.....im not sure if he will get picked though, i think he needs to put on a bit more muscle and have a bit more experience..i reckon he should spend a season in a euro league or something, but remember how they had the same talk about Sam McKinnon going to the NBA years ago...but i think Newley wil make it eventually...if he does get picked dont expect him to play many minutes in the NBA..bench warmer

newley is someone the NBL should be marketing and showing off the skills he has...but nooo...the NBL doesnt know what marketing means...

Exactly Trey. He is the type of player that should be a star here but just not good enough for the NBA.

The NBL has a few chances to turn it around this season and if they don't it will set it back for another 10 years or so I feel.

I dont think the NBL is that popular to be honest.......if you go up to a person here and say "do you watch the NBL?" not many people here would say "aw yeah"..cause its on austar and that...this country is more of a cricket and football (all codes) country when it comes to talking about sport honestly....in the USA..basketball is their # 1 played/watched sport....our basketball crowds really suck when you think about it.compared to the rest of the world

Do you guys remember Bogut when he was drafted? on Draft day he said "if you wanna go to the NBA you dont go through the NBL....its too much of a long process".......then like 2 months later he came back to Australia promoting the NBL lol..saying "aw its a great league" and becoming the NBL's # 1 fan..thats where he started talking about Newley saying he is the next guy to come over......Bogut must of changed his mind about the NBL in a hurry lol

I think basketball is huge in Australia but the game isn't marketed like Trey said. If it was and it was on free to air you would find 10,000 plus at games here in Melbourne each week.

Its been there before and no reason why it can't get there again.

The talent drain sucks a little but the punters turn out to support a team not analyse the game for the most part.

And in the US basketball is far from number one by a long way.

Its not even the most played sport.

MLB and NFL are lot more popular than the NBA.

Don't know how Nascar counts as sport though ;-) But you are right.

the NBL may be struggling but the Bendigo Braves in the SEABL managed to sell out a majority of their games last year.... but they had Shawn Redhage dominating for them and almost guaranteeing us the title...

the NBL was big back in the mid 90s (when channel 10 used to show games of a friday night) but has really dropped away...which is a shame as there is some talented aussie players and also some great overseas talent in the league

Back
Top Bottom