australia v india

Australia is cheating? What a laugh, unless their is a specific stipulation in the rules book then its not. You're just trying to get the best out of the situation.

Its just like Duncan Armstrong winning the gold medal at Barcelona. He swam right next to the really fast guy (not sure of his name) and sort of rode is current and then on the final lap had more energy and went past. Some may say that isn't in the spirit of the game or go further and call it cheating but unless its there in black and white its fair game.

On the not walking factor as well, quite a few players don't on the basis of previous bad decisions against them which I see nothing wrong with and its not being unsportsmanlike at all. Do you see all the NBA players putting their hands up to say they fouled a guy when the ref doesn't blow it? No, of course you don't.

Well for me - u ALWAYS know when u hit it, even a feather, that goes for gloves too - u feel the vibration.
As for if it carried - I'm all for staying at the crease till u know it carried - I wish there was an honour system where all players did as Ponting did the other day but as u said (I'm not disagreeing on much really here mate) sometimes u don't know - in that case - u just say 'I don't know' - Clarke doesn't do that and he should. He says I caught it then gets shown up later.

No drama, I haven't played enough to know for sure myself, I just imagined there would be times where you just weren't sure if you hit it.

I definately prefer the "I don't know" or "I'm not sure" method that certainly used to prevail in the "good old days" of cricket, I do really think that over-commercialization has alot to answer for.

I'll certainly agree that Clarke is a little prick.....and a shocking actor to boot. The "getting showed up" part would be a big part of implementing a technology backed honour system into the game.

I have to say Kumble has batted very well. I think he's saved this match for India and should be congratulated should his stand save the game.

Ooooh now its getting dangerous and tense.... Harbajahn out.... but I would rather it not be michael clarke getting the wicket cos I am unsure he could get anymore wickets... oh its tense..... Come on aussie!!!

EDIT - he's on a hat trick!!!!

And what do you say about THIS CHEATING/STALLING TACTIC??? deliberately comin out with two right gloves.... what a load of bulldust.... what do you say about that axeman?? how about THAT cheating?? Wasting time....

Ooooh nevermind.....

Game over well done Aussie and Michael Clarke who exceeded my expectations :)

This match reminds me of a game between NZ and Oz in 87-88 where Mike Whitney had to see off an over from Hadlee to save a game and win a series - the bastard did it too. Hadlee went up and shook his hand.

COP THAT

CARN THE AUSSIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And you call the Aussies cheats? Was that last Indian batsman not trying to delay time????

BWAHAHAHAHAHA COME ON AUSSIE COME ON, COME ON!!!!!!!

COP THAT

CARN THE AUSSIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And you call the Aussies cheats? Was that last Indian batsman not trying to delay time????

BWAHAHAHAHAHA COME ON AUSSIE COME ON, COME ON!!!!!!!

What he said!!

Also, it sickens me how anti-Australian every commentator seems to be.

Get over what, Matty? The Aussies cheating and getting away with it? That may be an acceptable way to win a match for you, but I prefer to win or LOSE depending purely on who plays BETTER! Guess sportsmanship comes second to winning in the average Aussie fan's mind now, it's a sad day...

your only looking at 1 test,its bound to happen ponting wasnt out,how is it cheating anyhow?umpires are there to make decisons wrong or right,and if australia cheating why did ponting say he never caught that catch that the rest of the team thought he did?

aussies to good,india crack under pressure!

go aussies!

Wow what a game, i must admit a fair bit of luck did seem to go australias way on this, but that is what the game is all about, without the human element the game becomes mechanical and i'd hate to see that.

I felt quite bad for kumble to, he really put in a captains knock there and i thought he was going to carry them through to a draw to really liven the series up. Even though Australia won, i must say i really respect the effort the indians put into this test, it made it very entertaining and i hope they hold their heads high and really put in over in WA.

As for cheating...im not sure if it was breaking RULES, but it does certainly break the ICC's code of conduct (im talking about appealing here) Either way, regarding whether a batsman is out or not. According to the Lawsim glad Australia won, and im also glad india put in a real fight.

I thought i'd just give some of you the heads up (although im sure you already know) what the laws/rules of the game regarding appealing are, so i have found this snippet and thought i would share it.

"In the sport of cricket, an appeal is the act of a player on the fielding team asking an umpire for a decision of Cricket, an umpire may not rule a batsman out unless the fielding side appeals. There have been occasions when a batsman has otherwise technically been out, but the fielding team neglected to appeal so the umpire did not declare them out. An appeal may be made at any point before the bowler starts his run-up for the next ball.

According to the Laws of Cricket, an appeal is a verbal query, usually in the form of, "How's that?" to an umpire. Since the taking of a wicket is an important event in the game, members of the fielding team often shout this phrase with great enthusiasm, and it has transmuted into the slightly abbreviated form, "Howzat?" often with a greatly extended final syllable. However, recently in international cricket cricketers even actually dance on the field as part of their appeal, urging the umpire to raise his finger, signalling the batsman out. Some players have established their own trademark appeals as well. Occasionally, when a bowler gets a batsman out, he may do the batsman's trademark appeal as a form of celebration but moreover a slight intimidation.

Although technically an appeal is required for the umpire to make a decision, in practice it is often obvious to all that a batsman is out, and the batsman may walk off the field without waiting for the decision of the umpire. This is invariably the case when a batsman is out bowled or to an obvious catch. However, the batsman is always entitled to stand his ground and wait for a decision from the umpire. In cases where he considers he might not be out, such as a catch taken low near the grass or where it is not clear if the ball hit the bat, batsmen will not take the walking option. It is then up to the fielding team to appeal for a decision. Sometimes a batsman will walk even when it is not clear to others that he is out, if in his own mind he is certain he was out; this is considered to be the epitome of sportsmanlike behaviour.

Some decisions, such as leg before wicket, always require an appeal and the umpire's decision, as no batsman will pre-empt the umpire on what requires fine judgment of several factors. Run-outs and stumpings are usually appealed and decided by an umpire, unless the batsman is clearly out of his ground and obviously out. Appealing differs vastly from sledging in the context that appealing is not supposed to be offensive or directly taunting to the other team, and more of a celebration to the appealing team. However, excessive appealing is against ICC's Code of Conduct:

Under the ICC Cricket Code of Conduct, it is considered unsportsmanlike to:

* appeal excessively;
* appeal in an intimidating manner towards an umpire; or
* appeal under the knowledge that the batsman is not out.

Any instances of such behaviour are punishable by fines or match bans, as adjudicated and imposed by the match referee. Australian Bowler Brett Lee was fined 25% of his match fee for excessive appealing during match two of the 2006-07 Ashes series at the Adelaide Oval when he believed English batsman Kevin Pietersen was out caught behind."

That being said, its been going on for years and as far as im concerned is part of the game. India and Sri Lanka are the main reasons the code of conduct came about, in the last 10 years they were well known for their excessive appealing...in fact i remember watching india v australia over in india (the time before last, when gavin robertson was playing for aus hehe) and the indians went up 4 out of 6 balls in the over. Its obviously done more as a pressure thing for the batsman, but occassionally they finger does get raised and to me... thats all part of the game.

Anyway, thats just my 22 and a half cents worth. Lets just hope the next game in WA brings as much excitment for us :thumbsup:

Symo will more than make up for it with his offies....this one will go right down to the line.:thumbsup:

Well I called it early....they don't get much closer than that!!!:D

All the debate about appealing is a mute point....both sides do it in equal amounts...watch a Kumble over for example. The only difference is how vocal the appeals are....the Aussies have mastered the art of the "confident" appeal (going back to the days of DK Lillee). These appeals put alot of pressure on the umpires and mistakes are bound to happen. That is the fantastic human element in cricket.
Sometimes a slo-mo replay can't even prove to be 100% decisive as to whether a batsman has knicked the ball, whether a ball has carried or whether it pitched in line with the stumps...it is a very big ask for an umpire to be 100% accurate after standing out in the middle for 5 days watching nearly 2700 deliveries being sent down....errors will always occur. And as Symo said after the first day these things tend to even themselves out over time.

Yeah ya called it all-star and I will admit (no one will believe me) that I was trying to influence out come constantly by saying they wouldn't win - cos I knew they'd prove me wrong LMAO

yeah good points all star and infectaside. What a fantastic game though. I am a bit disappointed that India did not draw it, because the next two games really could have been something special.

the game really had everything. great cricket, controversy, close calls, and issues that are bigger than the game.

I reckon just use more technology in the game and remove the umpires all together... humans are prone to pressure and errors whereas a machine does not lie... despite of how those commemtators and players are against because it slows down the game (even there's more than enough time between each ball to review the whole situation).... what's that shit about over-using of the third umpire during that trial back then... the fact that those umpires are calling for replay to "make sure" they got it right proves how incompetent they are, how unsure they are every time...

The best way to implement technology is not to allow umpires to call for them but give each team a number of appeals like tennis so they would not over-appeal... the umpires are only in the game these days because the union and the fact that gambling companies want them there to create unpredicatable outcomes... if not for all those terrible decision that could have been avoided by technolgy, India would have won the match...

I also sux for any team to come play in Australia because first of all the umpiring is totally biased (which is common even in NBA playoffs where the home team gets all the line calls)... I am not sure if the refs were told before the game to do that so the series can be longer and the NBA makes more money... secondly, whenever there's a good young player who bowls well, gets a few more wickets than expected, they are placed under investigation for "chucking"... and now all these racism claims

Back
Top Bottom