2nd round (or later) steals mailday!

skip20

The (un)official PC Showdown Special Comments Guy
Real Name
Skip
Had a look at some of my cards to be backscanned and realised some of these well known ballers weren't even drafted in the first round!

Prepare for another skip20 hoops history lesson....

Dennis Rodman - The Worm was drafted 27th overall but was still a second round pick back in the days when they had fewer teams. Championship rings with the Bulls and Pistons and the rest is history...one of the best defensive players and rebounders of the modern era. Drafted low as an undersized PF in SF's body...

Eddie Johnson - A high scoring SF and former 6th man of the year who slipped to the 2nd round and 29th overall selection.

Doug West - the hard working SG who lead those early (and crap) T-Wolves squads was drafted 38th overall in the second round. Love the early autographics, big on card autos and the old school embossing which made Skybox special.

Michael Cooper - Another Showtime Laker who was known for his lockdown defense. Former DPOY captured five championships and was taken in the 3rd round with the 60th overall pick.

Kurt Rambis - Drafted 58th overall in the 3rd round captured 4 titles with the showtime Lakers. Most importantly he made the goggle look his own! Go the goggs!

Avery Johnson - the Little General and Spurs playmaker wasn't even drafted! Steered them to a title in 1999. Great action pic, nicely designed and nice auto with the inscription he's made his own...

Draymond Green - another undersized PF who helped drive the Warriors to an NBA title was drafted 35th overall behind guys like Bernard James, Perry Jones, Arnett Moultrie, Miles Plumlee, Andrew Nicholson and Royce White. Notably the Warriors drafted him after giving guaranteed first round money to Festus Ezeli who they took at #30.

Anthony Mason - Part of the bruising New York Knicks squads lead by Pat Riley. Great defender and could play point forward at times. Was a great bargain in the 3rd round for the 53rd pick. Fantastic looking Court Kings autos too...

Michael Redd - Redd Hot was the Bucks southpaw franchise player for years and was stolen by the Bucks at #43. Guys taken ahead of him included Marko Jaric, Deshawn Stevenson, DeMarr Johnson and Courtney Alexander. Love this card - you might say it gave me a woody! hah hah

George Gervin - The HOF Iceman was one of the NBAs prime time scoring machines and was picked up in the 3rd round with the 40th pick. He did spend time in the ABA early on - but draft a HOF player in the 3d round is insane! Love both these designs, but those inscriptions are to die for!

History lesson over - pop quiz next week!

Thanks for looking and having a read, as always comments always appreciated.

Cheers
Skip

Cool cards and facts. A few surprises in that trivia. Thanks for sharing them :thumbsup:

Nice finish with the Ice Man himself the master of the finesse move #fingerroll

Had to finish with the finisher! Iceman was smooth as silk, errrr, I mean Ice!

That Bowmans auto is a beauty.
Thanks for the history lesson.

Love the look of those Franchise favourite cards, they have that nice Chromish finish to them too.... Bowman always made nice looking stuff.

Nice lesson Skip! That last iceman card is a ripper!

Finished it like Sub-Zero, cool way to finish with the Iceman! Always interesting to look back through NBA drafts that don't involve speculation about why MJ was drafted at #3....

Huge array of nice role player autos there skip.

...I won't tell Michael Redd and George Gervin that you called them role players... ;-) heh heh

Cool cards and facts. A few surprises in that trivia. Thanks for sharing them :thumbsup:

You might say Shawn Kemp was a steal at #17 too, drafted after high lottery picks such as Pervis Ellison (#1), Danny ferry (#2), JR Reid (#5), Stacey King (#6), Randy White (#8) and even Tom Hammonds (#9)....

Topps made quality cards back in the day.Nice work Skip:)

Nothing looks better than that Certified Autograph Issue stamp - absolutely iconic! ..and welcome to OCT!

Lovin Skips trip down memory lane!!

I live in the past...who is this Steph chick everyone keeps talking about anyway?! heh heh

Wow wasn't aware Iceman was drafted so late. One of the best scorers of all time.

from memory I think it had to do with the ABA being a rival league. If a guy was definitely committed to the ABA there was no point spending a high draft on those guys for zero return. I think the ABA specifically threw money at certain players to make sure they had some marquee names and superstars to compete.

Back
Top Bottom