2022 TLA NRL Elite Official Thread - Checklist Added

Don’t think TLA have the rights to SOO, hence the reason they aren’t a subset anymore.

Also, I think TLA are trying something different here. And I’m saying this as someone who doesn’t receive freebies (now, or previously, or ever).

And having NRLW cards is mint, imho.

They will feature SOO cards in NRL Rivalry which is out on July 14th and Freddy is featured in his Blues jersey so I think its the case of them using Origin in this way (Rivalry) rather than also adding it as an insert set into Elite.

Seems very similar comments to what I have heard as well.

I did some sums and from a team collector point of view...... my spend this year will be a lot less than the last 2 years.
Same here, was planning on buy a case for the first time....not now!

So who is collecting the ball patch?
I’ve been collecting many of the patch cards and have the previous 3 ball patches , will grab this years to continue the subset but not excited about the choice of player .

Reactions: DMC
I'm a touch underwhelmed with the sub set choices and even some of the design looks overly simple. The Golden Ticket is a joke, and what is a yellow Diamond mojo. That said I will wait for cards in hand as I am often surprised.

I personally would like to see separate stand alone NRLW and All Star releases or have them focused in the Traders release and not saturating the Elite release.

Cheers
Ross

I'm a touch underwhelmed with the sub set choices and even some of the design looks overly simple. The Golden Ticket is a joke, and what is a yellow Diamond mojo. That said I will wait for cards in hand as I am often surprised.

I personally would like to see separate stand alone NRLW and All Star releases or have them focused in the Traders release and not saturating the Elite release.

Cheers
Ross
100%

Ten years into ESP / TLA's takeover of NRL cards.

Credit where credit is due, they have and continue to produce some wonderful cards. The Legends Signature subset is amazing. Aside from QC issues here and there the player selection has been excellent and the cards are just wonderful. Simple in design, focus on the signature as all signature cards should be. The booklet / spotlights were also a great initiative so they are more than capable. The 2017 Marvel set was example of how good of a card they can produce as well.

That being said, the QC is still terrible. I am sure most collectors on here would be part of a Facebook page or two and seen how an ET legends and other signature cards were returned this week, floating loose in a bag and badly damaged. Unfortunately this is not a one off, I just don't understand how they can continually get this wrong.

The lack of care and concern is disappointing, not replacing high end cards when there is an obvious error (Meninga Legends CC), not taking responsibility for damaged cards.

The constant changing of serial numbered hits. Legends case cards went from #325 to #275 to none produced to #37, back to #55 and now #30. Why?

On the face of it, 22 Elite seems to be a CTRL V, CTRL C style release. There is so much scope for new themes and ideas. Booklets have run their course, why not a dual auto /50 per team? Why are captains now a serial numbered hit when they have always been a box hit? It seems quite lazy to me. The WNRL has a place but at present it is a six team, twice yearly competition and that should be reflected in the production.

In saying the above, the above are all first world problems. If you can avoid to buy a box or two or a case etc. in the current climate, it is happy days.

Much like Ross, I will reserve my final judgement until I have the cards in hand but at the very least, my initial purchases this year will be well down.

A full season of home games is the least the NRL can do for NZ

All of those types of ideas would be a nice gesture, but the real need is for the NRL to invest in grassroots rugby league back in New Zealand.

We have lost all of our age group teams for three years (honestly, let that sink in for a bit), juniors have left the club and this year with Redcliffe getting a licence we haven't even had a reserve grade. The club is in a much sicker state than people know or are willing to admit.

Our young guys have been destroyed in FG, but when they are not playing...they are not playing. Virtually no one at the club is playing if they are not in the game day 17. There is no avenue for growth for our young guys, and no one coming through.

With some of the Aussies jumping ship and no newbies in the pipeline to replace them, I just don't see where we can improve in the short term future. We will be a team with 10-12 FG quality players in it each week. I don't think there has ever been a Kiwi's team with no Warriors until this year, and the gutter journalists are relentlessly hounding Walsh to walk away, which I fear he will for next year. Add to that the Lodge situation, which ended our ability to be competitive overnight, and stuffed our cap for next year (for a player option he had declined?!). We have Jazz Tevaga playing prop...

I'd like the NRL to fund two feeder teams based in NZ and provide a few camps/marketing in NZ to win a few guys back from the other code. That's where the real help to get us back on our feet can occur. Home games look nice, but without the other stuff we'll be propping up the table for years.

The club really is on its knees at the moment, and prospective coaches looking at our vacancy know it too. Next year could be THE defining year for the Warrior's club.

You couldn't write a better script than Addin Fonua-Blake and Reece Walsh being the two players that caught Covid in the Warriors homecoming week.

All of those types of ideas would be a nice gesture, but the real need is for the NRL to invest in grassroots rugby league back in New Zealand.

We have lost all of our age group teams for three years (honestly, let that sink in for a bit), juniors have left the club and this year with Redcliffe getting a licence we haven't even had a reserve grade. The club is in a much sicker state than people know or are willing to admit.

Our young guys have been destroyed in FG, but when they are not playing...they are not playing. Virtually no one at the club is playing if they are not in the game day 17. There is no avenue for growth for our young guys, and no one coming through.

With some of the Aussies jumping ship and no newbies in the pipeline to replace them, I just don't see where we can improve in the short term future. We will be a team with 10-12 FG quality players in it each week. I don't think there has ever been a Kiwi's team with no Warriors until this year, and the gutter journalists are relentlessly hounding Walsh to walk away, which I fear he will for next year. Add to that the Lodge situation, which ended our ability to be competitive overnight, and stuffed our cap for next year (for a player option he had declined?!). We have Jazz Tevaga playing prop...

I'd like the NRL to fund two feeder teams based in NZ and provide a few camps/marketing in NZ to win a few guys back from the other code. That's where the real help to get us back on our feet can occur. Home games look nice, but without the other stuff we'll be propping up the table for years.

The club really is on its knees at the moment, and prospective coaches looking at our vacancy know it too. Next year could be THE defining year for the Warrior's club.
This is a really excellent point and something I had not considered. You are 100% correct, a season of home games is nice cosmetically but doesn't address the bigger issue.

Perhaps the NRL should allow NZ based feeder teams in both the Q and NSW Cups? Can an incentive be provided in terms of cap relief for a few seasons (much like the AFL do with new franchises)? Take Walsh for example. He wanted to play first grade, Brisbane didn't think he was ready so he got that opportunity with NZ. Let them make him a marquee player with a 30% discount on the cap?

That is very tough ground to negotiate though. There are so many teams in that realm who through poor recruitment or otherwise are in a hole that will take a decade to get out of. The Titans spring to mind, paying massive overs for forwards and neglecting their spine.

The NZ warriors have always performed at their best with a few hard headed Australian's in their team (think Campion, Price, Luck and even Tate).

The NRL needs a strong NZ team and NZRL needs a strong NRL team.

Back
Top Bottom