2019 Official NRL Thread (Spoilers/Rumours/Game Results/Discussions etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it will struggle with crowds/viewers anyway ,and by diluting the limited amount of quality players would probably damage it before it’s really started ? If they could only get 12k to the Storm v Cowboys with 3 of the best players ever ,I think that is a worry in itself. I think 4 is plenty , especially the way they have spread them out ? Women’s sport has and will always struggle with tv numbers and that’s what matters unfortunately for them

I think the idea isn't to dilute the playing pool but make it stronger as the NRL's hopes that some of the girls from other clubs will join for a year one of the 4 successful clubs making the football more competitive. They also wont be too worried about costs or crowds as the games are to be played before each of the finals games.

i think this is smart as they will have minimal costs due to no ground rental and associated venue costs, no TV set up costs etc

I'm not sure how Roosters get a start, claiming the Central Coast as part of their pathways is a looooong stretch.

I'm looking forward to the Dragons double header during the finals. :lol:

Ross

Last edited:
The Roosters are in because the Eastern Suburbs Leagues Club is baking them financially. As are the Clubs of the other teams. Sharks not having a leagues club baking is what cost them a spot and Penrith leagues club wouldn’t back the women’s team.

He been going great in ESL for a few years and I reckon he was the best of the halves in the St George V Hull game. he's also still pretty young 27-28.

You guys need something to happen in the halves as I dont think it is working. I know Hodgson is a big loss and played like a half but chopping and changing doesnt seem to be working and I think shows Ricky knows this is a problem area.

I have heard about a four way trade:

Austin to Souths
Farah to Raiders
Sezer to Bulldogs
Tolman to Sharks

Cheers
Ross

He been going great in ESL for a few years and I reckon he was the best of the halves in the St George V Hull game. he's also still pretty young 27-28.

You guys need something to happen in the halves as I dont think it is working. I know Hodgson is a big loss and played like a half but chopping and changing doesnt seem to be working and I think shows Ricky knows this is a problem area.

I have heard about a four way trade:

Austin to Souths
Farah to Raiders
Sezer to Bulldogs
Tolman to Sharks

Cheers
Ross

Yep that four way trade has been doing the rounds for a while. I don’t think Farah at this stage of his career is a good option. Havilii is doing his job and then some.

I would be disappointed to lose both Austin & Sezer. I like both players and they did take Canberra to the PF. I like Sam Williams also but I feel he is too slow, too small to be a running threat, a speed bump in defence and an average game manager at best. I would rather Austin at 6, certainly some defensive issues but a much more dangerous runner of the ball.

Yep that four way trade has been doing the rounds for a while. I don’t think Farah at this stage of his career is a good option. Havilii is doing his job and then some.

I would be disappointed to lose both Austin & Sezer. I like both players and they did take Canberra to the PF. I like Sam Williams also but I feel he is too slow, too small to be a running threat, a speed bump in defence and an average game manager at best. I would rather Austin at 6, certainly some defensive issues but a much more dangerous runner of the ball.
agree with you Brendan, I even think Farrah may retire at season's end.

He may be a more dangerous ball runner but then Leilua / Rapana / Whitehead will never see the ball. I'm hearing there is no love for Austin's dummy and run every time he gets the ball from those three and that is why he is on the outer.

He may be a more dangerous ball runner but then Leilua / Rapana / Whitehead will never see the ball. I'm hearing there is no love for Austin's dummy and run every time he gets the ball from those three and that is why he is on the outer.

I think that is why the halves switched sides late last year. As good as Rapana, Leilua and now Tapine can be on that edge their discipline is terrible and defensive reads often quite poor.

Last night is a prime example. The Raiders rallied to 12 down, 22 to play and Manly down to a 2 man bench. Instead of completing the set after points, Tapine throws a ridiculous flick a meter forward and all three blow up at the touchie.

What an awesome game of footy last night.

Saints and Souths tore each other apart in defence and there was some slick attack. I was impressed with Souths attack late running down points against a weary defence.

Great crowd and fantastic atmosphere. I think everyone walks away thoroughly entertained. I know I was.

What a great game, Dragons look like the real deal and Souths never gave up.

Quote from last year:

Saintsforever
just off track a bit,
NOT breaking news, but the dragons will never wiln a premiership, repeat, never ever , win a premiership with P McGregor at the helm.
They have some of the best forwards in the game, but without direction and a willingness to win, created by a good coach they will go nowhere.
For the life of me I cannot see how a team can find a way to lose so many matches, they will be further down the ladder then newcastle next year.
I am sure if Wayne bennett had the these forwards he would be above Melbourne at the moment.

Missing Hinges
I have to disagree somewhat with you there, looking at their stacked lineup for next year I think they will easily make the top eight and a very good chance to take it all the way. Very unlucky not to make the finals this year. <-- Quote this next year when they make the top four mate.

Quote from last year:

Saintsforever
just off track a bit,
NOT breaking news, but the dragons will never wiln a premiership, repeat, never ever , win a premiership with P McGregor at the helm.
They have some of the best forwards in the game, but without direction and a willingness to win, created by a good coach they will go nowhere.
For the life of me I cannot see how a team can find a way to lose so many matches, they will be further down the ladder then newcastle next year.
I am sure if Wayne bennett had the these forwards he would be above Melbourne at the moment.

Missing Hinges
I have to disagree somewhat with you there, looking at their stacked lineup for next year I think they will easily make the top eight and a very good chance to take it all the way. Very unlucky not to make the finals this year. <-- Quote this next year when they make the top four mate.

Souths certainly showed how to take the game to Saints but Saints have the forwards, the backs and the halves to do it all this year.

The McGregor Can't Coach commentators have gone quiet too. My only gripe - Tariq Sins doesn't need to be a tuff.

Last edited:

Quote from last year:

Saintsforever
just off track a bit,

Missing Hinges
yes Matt, I did say that quite bluntly.
It is only round 5.
I will happily eat humble pie, if and when they win a title with PM at the helm.
I really do hope they can win it this year.
A wise man said to me when I was 5 years old, you have to have bigger shoulders to take s h i t then to give it.
He also said take their legs out from under them and they will fall like a bag of potatoes.

Souths certainly showed how to take the game to Saints but Saints have the forwards, the backs and the halves to do it all this year.

The McGregor Can't Coach commentators have gone quiet too. My only gripe - Tariq Sins doesn't need to be a tuff.
Chris, if they don't have tuff guys, then the media calls them soft. It is about time the team got some balls.

I thought Mary gave very intelligent answers to Freddy's pre game interview and seemed to be very knowledgeable on all the stats and the players.

Interesting when Marty KAPOW said a few weeks ago that Manly would win the comp this year, I think Dragons or Roosters might have something to say about that.

Quote from last year:

Saintsforever
just off track a bit,

Missing Hinges
It’s still only early and not taking anything away from the dragons but look who they have played ?Also factor in the sharks should have beat them but didn’t turn up in the 2nd half ? And the sharks are playing like busted arseholes!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom