2019 NRL Glory Release Official Thread

Is it just me but the fact release day is tomorrow and there is little to no buzz about the product?

I know @Brendan_B is very keen.......but usually there is much more hype......especially about one that is supposed to be such a landmark release?

Is it just the time of year?
Time of the year, lack of money and personal opinion is the cards don't look that great to me. Don't get me wrong they're not bad or anything but compare them to centenary set they don't come close in the looks department lol. Plus I think sets like these are ones that tend to be collected at a slower pace due to costs etc and not really being Year specific if that makes sense. I'd love to buy the ones I want straight away but I'll be saving for a while to do so and by then prices will have probably doubled 😬

Over all great collation of cards. Pictures of main hits, no number 1,s. Complete set 12 sig cards in case. Complete sets commons in box, no doubles in inserts except silver (Get a Complete set). and green Charter class. Really happy with how cards look and feel. Case cards Frank Burge.

glory 001.jpg

glory 002.jpg

glory 003.jpg

glory 004.jpg

glory 005.jpg

glory 007.jpg

glory 009.jpg

glory 010.jpg

glory 011.jpg

glory 012.jpg

glory 013.jpg

glory 006.jpg
Hi mate, you selling the Ricky Stuart? If so how much?
Cheers

Regarding the Milestones Dave, I haven’t seen them in hand (tomorrow) and as such can’t comment on quality. I am led to believer they are comparable to last years Superhero LE release, if so I think under $100 per team set including a signature is good value.

The reason signatures are going so cheap is because of stock dumpers. The hobby is filled with those types now who are flash in the pan collectors and try to make a quick $$ and dump what they have. The art of collecting is dying ( NRL), such a shame.

I think Glory is a realistic chance for a master set that will hold value. It will be expensive but might promote trading again. It will take me years to put a master together but will be totally worth it.
I've met more people getting bigger into the hobby then I've seen leave since prices have dropped. Lower prices opens up to a bigger market.
It's kinda like crowd figures. If you charge more you get a smaller crowd. Charge less more turn up but profits might be the same or less even though more sold. But imo bigger crowds means a healthier more exciting game.
Maybe because I'm poor I'll always prefer lower costs on anything in life lol unless I'm selling something I've paid big for then I like prices being the same hahaha

Shame to lose you from the hobby Vic. All the best with with your new venture.

The pricing of cards has always been an interesting one, very subjective and ‘only worth what someone will pay’ we’re common guidelines.
The simple fact now is that many collectors don’t want to pay what a card is worth because they have seen it much cheaper elsewhere and think that should be the value.

I can’t see Glory flooding the market as Wangy will drip feed cases.
Thanks mate. Whilst you may be right about about a non flood in the market the sheer number of each insert is sure to make the cards not worth much. 420 future famer signatures and the being listed on eBay at @$70 seems steep. Same with the 420 made sketch immortals being listed for $45. The 2015 elite quads had only 65 made of each and one is lucky to sell those at the same price. Congrats on those collecting this set for fun as I see no investment value in the future. I can’t see Wangy controllling the influx of cards for long if he invested the money in the production. To me his interest is to sell every last packet sooner than later so he gets a bang for his buck! Otherwise why invest money in a business interest with the goal to not make the maximum profit possible?

I've met more people getting bigger into the hobby then I've seen leave since prices have dropped. Lower prices opens up to a bigger market.
It's kinda like crowd figures. If you charge more you get a smaller crowd. Charge less more turn up but profits might be the same or less even though more sold. But imo bigger crowds means a healthier more exciting game.
Maybe because I'm poor I'll always prefer lower costs on anything in life lol unless I'm selling something I've paid big for then I like prices being the same hahaha

Yes, but many of those collectors will only stay in for a couple of years if that, then dump their collection onto an already bulging secondary market.

I have no issues with a bigger market being opened up but production prices are production prices and this would not have been a cheap set to produce.

In terms of value for money this set is cheaper than Elite but with more packets per box you obviously pay a bit more and you don't hear too many upset with the current price of Elite.

Each collector has different perspectives from what they want out of a set to what they do with their cards long term. Some, such as yourself get everything signed and will never sell or part with it, others like to hold for a period of time and then offload, some are just in it for the quick thrill of busting a packet, getting a hit and dumping onto the secondary market (not really collectors).

It is not possible to get a balance on the perfect release to cater for everyone. I don't have huge amounts of money to throw at the hobby either but I will save every cent for months on end as well as pick up extra work refereeing and when I have enough it is very satisfying.

This is the kind of release the hobby needed IMO, the secondary market won't get smashed and collectors can collate their wants over a period of time and above all, it will promote trading again which is the name of the game.

Thanks mate. Whilst you may be right about about a non flood in the market the sheer number of each insert is sure to make the cards not worth much. 420 future famer signatures and the being listed on eBay at @$70 seems steep. Same with the 420 made sketch immortals being listed for $45. The 2015 elite quads had only 65 made of each and one is lucky to sell those at the same price. Congrats on those collecting this set for fun as I see no investment value in the future. I can’t see Wangy controllling the influx of cards for long if he invested the money in the production. To me his interest is to sell every last packet sooner than later so he gets a bang for his buck! Otherwise why invest money in a business interest with the goal to not make the maximum profit possible?

Vic, you make some good points and as we all know card values are very, very subjective and aside from eBay we have no real, ongoing price guide. This is quite a limited release (420 cases) compared to Elite (>600) and 08 Centenary was an 875 case release, more than double this one.

I think that for some players such as Geyer and other less collected teams $70 is a bit steep but for Lockyer, Hindmarsh you should get that and more. The Immortal photo and sketch cards are interesting ones price wise. Glory is a very unique release and it can only be compared to Centenary. The Immortals from that release were one per box and not numbered (1500 of each card) while the sketches were one per two boxes and numbered to /750. Both of those from the 08 Release will get you $15-$20 for Immortals and $35+ for sketches. The 18 Glory versions are only 420 per card and foil numbered so I think $45 each is okay. Some like Burge, Brown will be less but then Joey and Sticks might fetch more.

One aspect of pricing which seems to go largely unconsidered is the overall production run and the quality / popularity of the release. Take the Quads that you mentioned (great cards from a very poor release). Only 65 each but two per team x 16 teams means there are in excess of 2000 of these from a very poor selling and overpriced release. I think these are significant contributing factors as to why the prices stay down.

Regarding Wangy, yes he is a businessman first and foremost and would not outlay this considerable amount of $$$ without expecting to turn a profit. That being said, the pre sales on this have been solid so I would think he will have his outlay back by February. Wangy gets a bit of mud thrown at him but his distribution is what helped keep prices up so long, he didn't allow the market to get flooded. I feel that if Wangy was as money hungry as some believe he would just be dumping his stock on the market but he holds it and it slowly appreciates in value.

I know I will be called Mr Negative here.....but Green Foil on Beige cards doesn't really look that great.

The cards that have some colour on them look ok or the Gold Foil on the Immortals looks nice.....but even in sets like the NBA unless it matches the team colour, Green Foil doesn't really look that great.

Just my opinion.

Broke a few boxes last night from my case (no big hits, will be the longest bust in history..). I don't disagree that some of the general appearance of the cards comes across as a bit bland but to me, it really suits the nostalgic / historical aspect of the release. I am a Centenary tragic and therefore will be a Glory tragic by default so my opinion is obviously bias but...

Anyways, cards look and feel great in hand. Boxes, packets and folders are really good. The common set is nice, a few interesting player choices but every release has that. I like how there is a subset of sorts in the main set again (Induction Class) and the Charter Class and Charter Class Chrome are excellent. With the latter being numbered it will be a good set to complete.

The Pioneer Sketches and Future Famers are a touch on the bland side but overall, when combined as a set, the various contrasts throughout the folder are aesthetically pleasing.

I haven’t busted any yet but from watching a couple of online breaks it seems a lot of the pictures are exactly the same as the 2008 version and TLA have just put a new background design

That’s a little disappointing I think, I hope it’s only a small portion of the set.

I know I will be called Mr Negative here.....but Green Foil on Beige cards doesn't really look that great.

The cards that have some colour on them look ok or the Gold Foil on the Immortals looks nice.....but even in sets like the NBA unless it matches the team colour, Green Foil doesn't really look that great.

Just my opinion.

You only say that cause you are a TLA guy..........:)

I know it’s been mentioned who financed them but who actually designs them and chooses the players for a set like this ??

I know it’s been mentioned who financed them but who actually designs them and chooses the players for a set like this ??
Whoever designed the induction class signature cards obviously failed graphic design class. Somewhere hidden amongst all that green squiggly printed design lies the players signature. What a mess to the eye.

Something else I thought I would mention about this release.

I think it is fair to say that 2018 was a fairly tumultuous season with the game copping more bad than good press.

The naming of the 5 new Immortals and 6 HOF inductees was a watershed moment for the game and indeed 2018. This was the first time since the NRL took over the Immortal concept that they inducted anyone and the first time in over a decade, a very positive and symbolic time for the game.

This release captures aspects of that and yes, the pricing, distribution and some designs may not be to some collectors liking, that is fine, we are all adults and entitled to an opinion. If you don’t like the release, don’t collect it.

This is where some credit needs to go to Wangy. Sure, he will make $$ from it, that is obvious, he is a businessman after all. If he had not provided the financial backing there would be no release to celebrate this amazing moment in Rugby League history. There is no way TLA were in a financial position to create this release.

So, in summary, let’s provide constructive criticism and enjoy the release for what it is.

Something else I thought I would mention about this release.

I think it is fair to say that 2018 was a fairly tumultuous season with the game copping more bad than good press.

The naming of the 5 new Immortals and 6 HOF inductees was a watershed moment for the game and indeed 2018. This was the first time since the NRL took over the Immortal concept that they inducted anyone and the first time in over a decade, a very positive and symbolic time for the game.

This release captures aspects of that and yes, the pricing, distribution and some designs may not be to some collectors liking, that is fine, we are all adults and entitled to an opinion. If you don’t like the release, don’t collect it.

This is where some credit needs to go to Wangy. Sure, he will make $$ from it, that is obvious, he is a businessman after all. If he had not provided the financial backing there would be no release to celebrate this amazing moment in Rugby League history. There is no way TLA were in a financial position to create this release.

So, in summary, let’s provide constructive criticism and enjoy the release for what it is.

I know you are a massive fan of Centenary 2008 and it was a fantastic release, and I know you are a huge fan of this Glory release which is why you are very positive about it......and thats perfectly fine! We all like different things.

I agree that the NRL did a good job on announcing the new immortals and HOF players.....but in terms of this release while it does have some great components, it also has some glaring shortcomings.

As an example.......Darren Lockyer signatures. Normally this would be a huge boost to the release and TLA did pay very very handsomely for him to sign cards in this release.

Instead of say maxing out his signature to 50 or 100 copies......he has 420 signed cards! Its not 2008 anymore where this would fly. The market isn't the same as it once was.

So you go from having a card for a guy who hasn't signed in a while which the card could potentially be worth a couple of hundred dollars on the secondary market to a card that I have seen selling 2 days from the release date for $55.

That kills any of the value in his signature. Why not have Lockyer in the set but make him an SP so you don't devalue his signature? Get him to sign 100 for Glory and do a Legends card for Traders next year.

You then look at the one per box signatures and if he is THE best signer out of them, for $55 that means everyone else is going to be worth less than him.

It's also a release that can't be broken by group breakers (who break 100's of cases) as teams are all over the place and the inequality of the players across teams is to wide to be able to do this on a team by team basis. You only need to look at some of the american releases in the way they incorporate the older players into modern day sets like National Treasures etc.....they do it very well.....while still having products that can be broken down by group breakers (which helps drive a lot of the business).

Therefore you have some big breakers who would bust 50/100/150 cases unable to do so unless they sell by the box or case and their isn't the same profit margins it it for them.

I know you love this release, and while its not a bad release, I think it could have been done a lot differently to ensure an even better release.

I get the feeling its been put together a bit piecemeal over the past 12-18 months and hasn't had a real strong direction from the start.

Just my thoughts on it.

Cheers
Matt

Some good points Matt, certainly relevant and well thought out. There is no such thing as a perfect release, every release is so subjective and prices are often driven by the individual want for that card.

It is not possible to replicate a release like Centenary, it was the greatest release ever and certainly one of the few that had retained value.

Hindsight being what it is, the Lockyer could have been numbered less but in a way, that suits the current market and collectors temperament because no one wants to pay big $$ for cards anymore. Look at the way Elite prices drop within weeks if there release. Game worn Jersey Patch signatures /50 for less than $150 is crazy!!

At least having some big names in the box level signatures gives those who will buy one box a realistic chance at a good hit.

Things can always be done better but I feel that there is overwhelming negativity toward this release as opposed to constructive feedback.

Regarding the lack of case breaks, I agree it is near impossible to allocate the teams from this release into a fair case break. At least all the unwanted hits won’t get dumped onto the secondary market. This issue though has created some decent innovation with how to bust the product to give all collectors a go, regardless of the budget.

Some good points Matt, certainly relevant and well thought out. There is no such thing as a perfect release, every release is so subjective and prices are often driven by the individual want for that card.

It is not possible to replicate a release like Centenary, it was the greatest release ever and certainly one of the few that had retained value.

Hindsight being what it is, the Lockyer could have been numbered less but in a way, that suits the current market and collectors temperament because no one wants to pay big $$ for cards anymore. Look at the way Elite prices drop within weeks if there release. Game worn Jersey Patch signatures /50 for less than $150 is crazy!!

At least having some big names in the box level signatures gives those who will buy one box a realistic chance at a good hit.

Things can always be done better but I feel that there is overwhelming negativity toward this release as opposed to constructive feedback.

Regarding the lack of case breaks, I agree it is near impossible to allocate the teams from this release into a fair case break. At least all the unwanted hits won’t get dumped onto the secondary market. This issue though has created some decent innovation with how to bust the product to give all collectors a go, regardless of the budget.
nothing bad here to say, omg!
have a look on the rear of the redemptions, WHERE do you send them to.

Back
Top Bottom