2014 South Africa vs Australia non-Official thread

1 more to go and 28 balls YES! I was thinking we're gone!

Come on!

All OVER 2-1 AUSTRALIA

Feel a little bit sorry for some of the SA batsmen they gave it their all!

Man of the match has to be Warner, though Clarke's 161 and Harrris and Johnson both taking 7 each, what a match! man of the series? Warner scored the most runs ever? in a 3 match series I think I read

It's 10 to six. What an end to the match. Don't go by the margin in runs. Australia have won this by 27 balls. They have had to grind for every wicket today. South Africa didn't gift them a single stick today. It was good-old fashioned struggle for a win. South Africa did their best to give their captain a farewell gift, but Australia were just too good. There were some really heated-up scenes in the last session, but now both the sides are congratulating each other. Forget childish sledges and howling dogs, there is also great respect for each other in these two sides

Finally I can sleep lol

Last edited:
I read somewhere that Warner scored the 3rd most runs in a 3 test series by an Australian behind Hayden and someone else (Pointing?). Great effort. And great Effort by Harris to bring it home!

3rd most, yeah that rings a bell. And yep great work by Harris

Awesome win by the boys. Real gutsy by SA but to the Aussies credit they just kept chippin away. Harris and Johnson had a massive series. Was very impressed with Steve Smith and Ryan Harris, they really stood up. Warner is just unbelievable! And Johnson to back up his Ashes was great to see.

Well the end of summer and who would of thought we would 7 tests and lose one!!!
Hats of to the coaching staff who seem to have made them a TEAM.
Our bowlers have been wonderful all summer and our batsmen are sharing the load when looking in trouble.
I think Steve smith will be around for a long time,he has really matured over the last 12 months and may well be a future Aussie captain
Well done AussiesAussies

Well summed up! I can't believe how well Smith has matured and you could be right, I think Clarke and Lehmann deserve a lot of the credit.

All things considered, a 2-1 win is an amazing result. Far better Australian teams have beaten South Africa IN South Africa of course, although many of those teams contained Australian greats in Hayden, Ponting, S. Waugh, M. Waugh, Gilchrist, Warne and McGrath.

I am delighted to have got my pre-series prediction spectacularly wrong!

I just couldn't see how Australia's top order was going to make the 350+ scores often enough to put pressure on "Alviro", Faff", "A.B" and even "Vernon" lower down the order. Which brings me to another point..........

The one thing that I did notice is that the South African tv and radio commentators are....um......"very dedicated" to their boys. Mike Haysman on the tv coverage was like Eddie commentating Collingwood games :)

Only Tony Greig had the ability to be objective to all teams. Some of our commentators are guilty of being biased towards us, especially the new breed and I'm glad you can eat some humble pie Matt!

As Craig said, the bowlers were great from start to finish. After the most recent Test, these are the career wickets and averages of our front-line bowlers:

Johnson - 264 wkts @ 27.42
Siddle - 188 wkts @ 29.37
Lyon - 112 wkts @ 32.99
Harris - 103 wkts @ 22.56

There is not a weak link in the bowling ranks at the moment and the consistency and skill that they show day after day is something that Test cricket devotees really admire.

Amazing how just 18 months ago we were all calling for blood.
And now even more amazing, we have a TEAM again
Great stuff. I read an article, is it true that Lyon has more wickets than Warne did at the same amount of tests?

Amazing how just 18 months ago we were all calling for blood.
And now even more amazing, we have a TEAM again
Great stuff. I read an article, is it true that Lyon has more wickets than Warne did at the same amount of tests?
I believe that is correct and we know what warne went on to do!!!

There is one thing that continues to infruriate me about the Australian cricket media, and that is the constant criticism of Nathan Lyon's fourth innings "performances". The poor bastard is apparently expected to be Warne, O'Reilly, Kumble and Underwood rolled into one wicket-taking dynamo!

At one stage his figures stood at 16-12-5-0 in South Africa's second innings and whilst he wasn't taking wickets, the number of maidens he bowled and his economy in general allowed Clarke the option of taking the new ball immediately after lunch, with which Harris dismissed de Villiers in the fifth over of its use.

Nathan Lyon does a bloody good job as an off spinner, as he proved on debut in Sri Lanka, as he proved during the Ashes series and in my opinion as he proved at Cape Town.

Plus he would have at least 20 or more wickets if Brad Haddin didn't have that unfortunate situation with his daughter and had to leave the game for 2 years. Matty Wade dropped or missed a lot of catches and stumpings off his bowling.
He gets good flight and bounce and puts a lot of revs on the ball, I've always like him compared to Hauritz or Beer etc.

No luck in the T20

First Twenty20 abandoned due to rain
Match abandoned South Africa v Australia
181177.2.jpg

The rain meant no play was possible in Port Elizabeth © AFP
Enlarge

South Africa and Australia will have to settle for a two-match Twenty20 series after the first game in Port Elizabeth was abandoned without a ball being bowled.
Persistent rain in Port Elizabeth meant that no play was possible in the first T20, and the teams will now head to Durban for Wednesday's second match, followed by the third game in Centurion.
The rain was mostly unrelenting in Port Elizabeth and although there were brief periods when the covers appeared set to come off, there was always another shower on the way.
With the World T20 in Bangladesh to follow straight after this series, these matches are the only chance for both sides to find their best T20 form and settle on their preferred line-ups.

Shame we need as much "team" building as possible before the T20 World Cup [Not that I rate it highly on the agenda of cricket outcomes personally]

Christ Almighty - what an abomination last night's game was. When the game of cricket actually DOES resemble a game of baseball, you know it's a Mickey Mouse set-up. I half-expected to hear "Take me out to the baaaalll gaaaaaaaame" over the PA system!

Time for the ICC to do something positive in the game for once and change the rule so that TEN overs consitutes a game, not f**king seven!

A surprisingly successful tour wasn't it? 2-1 in the Tests, 2-0 in the T20's. Amazing how fortunes can turn so quickly.

Now on to the T20 World Cup........thank God the footy is back on, won't be watching a single ball of that rubbish! :)

Back
Top Bottom