2009 champions checklist and promo

can you and everyone else stop complaining about Select.... They are the only people who provide cards for us to collect. If you dont like it just dont collect them. No need to bash the cards. Without Select we wouldnt see the Releases we have over the past few years so show some gratitude.

Also on a storm front, cant wait for the Double Trouble. Looks nice plus the Billy Gem looks really good to.

I couldn't care less if they didn't release this set!

I am not as harsh a critic of them as some others ... but this set is a lame duck. Almost exactly the same as previous seasons. Would it kill them to have a few sigs? There hasn't been a Newcastle Knight signature card since series 2, 2007!

And releasing a gem card of a player who is now in UK superleague ... that is really amateur.

2 years of Select Champions with the same old stuff. I think Select should start making new ideas now. I am sick of these sketch cards, gem cards, foil sigs. We need to see action with jerseys, patches and more autos and most importantly more numbered cards just my opinion:)

I don't even particularly mind if they leave the sigs and patches for the second series (if we were lucky enough to have patches ever again, that is).

But pleeeease, just some new ideas for series one!!!

I don't even particularly mind if they leave the sigs and patches for the second series (if we were lucky enough to have patches ever again, that is).

But pleeeease, just some new ideas for series one!!!

Yes I guess you are right I think they should make a cheap version and then get into the good stuff with the 2nd series:D

I emailed Select about the Withers card and this is the reply I got:

The 2009 Champions collections commemorates the 2008 football season. We have to do it this way to make sure that we are on sale by the beginning of the season.
REgards
Select

can you and everyone else stop complaining about Select.... They are the only people who provide cards for us to collect. If you dont like it just dont collect them. No need to bash the cards. Without Select we wouldnt see the Releases we have over the past few years so show some gratitude.

Also on a storm front, cant wait for the Double Trouble. Looks nice plus the Billy Gem looks really good to.

I agree fully mate, Select has provided us with some pretty awesome cards to collect over the years, the champions release is always a warm up to the more expensive and premium sets that are nothing short of stunning, lets all back Select, they're Aussie and know how to design a great card, peace:v:

I am just glad that there is someone making them, sometimes there is some types of cards that don't appeal to everyone and aren't widley accepted but they are out there to be collected if you want to collect them.

I can choose 2 or 3 card styles that I think are ordinary but i collected them to make the set but that was my option And my taste in card style will be different to the next guy so on and so forth.

Whether it be Select or whoever, we are always going to have someone say "these are terrible" because the truth of the matter is we are human and in today's society we are so quick to bag something out before looking at the whole picture and to try and please each and everyone of us card collectors is just not going to happen.

Just remember back 1998 and 1999 when no-one made them, apart from newspaper companies etc. we had nothing, no chase cards, no commons, nothing of real importance.
Maybe Select could do with some competition who knows, can any of us do it?

Lets take the 2009 Champions at $2.99 a pack, and please correct me if i am wrong about anything i am about to say,
Aren't these the cheapest packs of sports collector cards around? i believe this way Select can inspire kids to collect the 1st series of NRL footy cards and trade with their mates etc. (just like we did as kids) and out of those kids produce future card collectors just like us.

With the cheaper price comes cheaper range, i.e, re-runs of styles etc. the die's that are made for the jersey cards for example aren't that cheap, then they have to find someone who can use the die's, etc. and I wonder what the NRL charges Select for the right to print the players.

Then there is the whole design thing, how many ways can a card be redesigned differently and I refer back to my first comment about pleasing everyone, if they were to copy a design from the big basketball card companies or something they would have problems with plagiarism etc.

It is my opinion that to have re-runs on styles and designs etc is somewhat of a necessary evil because although I don't always like what is offered in the 1st series I know that if the kids in particular are going to keep buying them and making the whole card collecting thing last somewhat longer, the cards must remain cheap and in order to do that then costs must be kept low.

That's just my rant, I agree to a point with some things people have been saying and some I don't agree with but that's just my opinion and it will be my option to buy the 2009 Champions Series even though I am not overjoyed with some of the cards in the series just like everyone else, I wonder what we would be collecting if Select didn't make them, TAZO'S??????

I hope all that is understandable, if it isn't then I'm sorry, if it is then great and even if you think I am a moron then that's great too that's your opinion but what I have just said is my opinion.:)

Cheers Dave

Well said Dave. Whilst agree with Justin that Select need some new ideas, you make a good point that we have to take series one for what it is: a budget release. Whilst we may be bored with the same old cards, if it helps bring new collectors into our hobby then it can't be all bad!

Well said Dave. Whilst agree with Justin that Select need some new ideas, you make a good point that we have to take series one for what it is: a budget release. Whilst we may be bored with the same old cards, if it helps bring new collectors into our hobby then it can't be all bad!

Thanks mate, i just think we (collectors) sometimes get so into the whole collecting thing that we forget we have to look after the kids and keep them into card collecting. i agree with justin as well in regards to repeating card styles/designs as it can be a bit mundane but it keeps the cost down.
Cheers dave

Cardzone had an ad in the Big League yesterday that i got at the game promoting the new 09 Champions series.

Back
Top Bottom