2007 AFL Premiership season official thread.

what a finish! Ebert steals it from the dorks with a second remaining. Kane Cornes BOG easy with like 35 possies and 3 goals FREAK

Ebert didn't steal it. Goldspink did.

Anybody watching the game today cannot tell me he is an impartial umpire. He goes into a game decided already on a team he favours. He may not follow a team, but he loathes some of them. He gave Port Two goals in that final quarter with 50metre penalties that were not there - same with one against Gilham in the first quarter.

I had no problem with the other umpires.... but I bet if you looked at Goldspink it was like 10 kicks to Port 2 to Hawthorn and at least 3 50metre penalties that were unwarranted... none more so than the second one in the final quarter.

I give Port all the credit for making the most of their opportunities... but no one can tell me Goldspink should be an AFL umpire with the way he clearly favours teams in EVERY game he umpires.

And seriously mate don't call them the Dorks your team can't buy a bloody win.

I agree AJ....Goldspink is starting to to give me the shits in all the games he umpires. Sometimes he acts as though he is bigger than the game.

I completley agree that his umpiring was one sided.....but a good team will always beat bad umpriing!

I agree AJ....Goldspink is starting to to give me the shits in all the games he umpires. Sometimes he acts as though he is bigger than the game.

I completley agree that his umpiring was one sided.....but a good team will always beat bad umpriing!

I'm not talking about the free kicks I'd actually say most of them were there.... its the 50 metre penalties its turning a maybe goal into a definite goal.... and I'm sorry but when you have your lead that you fought hard for eradicated by some crappy umpiring.... you cannot always rise above that - they tried and tried but it should never have been that close.

And seriously mate don't call them the Dorks your team can't buy a bloody win.

Were having a bad year because we havent been able to field anything near our best 22 all year. When you have to use 40 players and debut 7 kids in a year you cant honestly expect to win many games.

When was the last time Hawthorn made the finals? Every team has up's and down years and for us this year it has nothing to do with talent its because we struggle to pick 22 players each week.
We lost 4 games by less than a goal aswell so luck has exactly been with us too.

and most teams have a nickname, Pies - Filth, Ess - Scum, Haw - Dorks, WC - Weagles are a couple that spring to mind.

Were having a bad year because we havent been able to field anything near our best 22 all year. When you have to use 40 players and debut 7 kids in a year you cant honestly expect to win many games.

When was the last time Hawthorn made the finals? Every team has up's and down years and for us this year it has nothing to do with talent its because we struggle to pick 22 players each week.
We lost 4 games by less than a goal aswell so luck has exactly been with us too.

and most teams have a nickname, Pies - Filth, Ess - Scum, Haw - Dorks, WC - Weagles are a couple that spring to mind.

When was the last time Melbourne won anything of value? Don't get into an argument with me about merits of a club in recent history because only the non victorian clubs and maybe Essendon match up to what Hawthorn has done in the last 30 years - making finals year in and year out and not doing anything is as bad if not worse than rebuilding to make a tilt for a flag....

and just remember were the nickname "dorks" came from - it came from the proposed merger with Melbourne, which might I add heartless, gutless melbourne supporters voted in favour of.

So perhaps I should go around giving Melbourne the nickname of weak...

it certainly suits their supporters for the most part - given they wanted to taint the history of one of the oldest clubs.

Hawks may not have done much since 2001 (but then again neither has melbourne done much since 2000) but their supporters have heart and faith in the club.

I didn't see the Port game but am relieved that we won. How much has Brett Ebert improved this year! I have a lot of respect for Hawthorn, and they played pretty well, and I wish them luck for the finals.

I really like the Hawks forward line as it is so unpredictable, Buddy Franklin, Roughead, Boyle, and Dixon as the mainstays, with Croad sometimes going up forward and Hodge occasionally resting up forward. This really seems to be a team going places, and will be a force to be reckoned with in years to come due to the fact they have recruited exciting young players.

It's very sterotypical for you to say that all melbourne supporters are weak. Maybe their was a few soft supporters who wanted to merge but all the die hard and loyal supporters hated the idea.
5 finals in 9 years is better than your recent run, we sucked in the 80 and 90's though. With such an even competition, to make the finals is an acheivement. It may not be a big one but i tell you now id much rather be playing finals than to go through a season like we are now or tank for draft picks.

We had the chance to go at least to the prelim's the last two years if we just were able to finish 4th but both seasons we folded at the end of the year and lost a few games and finished 5th.
we are the oldest football club in the world and next year we celebrate our 150th anniversary and if we can improve our list by 10% and also have a good pre season than we will make the finals and hopefully make the top 4.
Some of our younger players are very exciting, and honestly its been probally a decade if not more since we have had good young kids come up the ranks.

It's very sterotypical for you to say that all melbourne supporters are weak. Maybe their was a few soft supporters who wanted to merge but all the die hard and loyal supporters hated the idea.
5 finals in 9 years is better than your recent run, we sucked in the 80 and 90's though. With such an even competition, to make the finals is an acheivement. It may not be a big one but i tell you now id much rather be playing finals than to go through a season like we are now or tank for draft picks.

We had the chance to go at least to the prelim's the last two years if we just were able to finish 4th but both seasons we folded at the end of the year and lost a few games and finished 5th.
we are the oldest football club in the world and next year we celebrate our 150th anniversary and if we can improve our list by 10% and also have a good pre season than we will make the finals and hopefully make the top 4.
Some of our younger players are very exciting, and honestly its been probally a decade if not more since we have had good young kids come up the ranks.

Stereotypical? so you're saying I make broad statements huh??

I never said they (melbourne fans) were all weak I just put it to you that's what my nickname should be. If that offends you don't F***ing call my team the dorks and I won't call Melbourne weak. Simple.

It's the same Goddamn principal.

And the fact is you stuffed up every season since 2000 - you had the talent to make a Grand final but were perhaps too mentally weak to do it - a team like that should have more pride - Hawthorn will win another flag before Melbourne will - I would bet my entire collection on it.

Stereotypical? so you're saying I make broad statements huh??

I never said they (melbourne fans) were all weak I just put it to you that's what my nickname should be. If that offends you don't F***ing call my team the dorks and I won't call Melbourne weak. Simple.

It's the same Goddamn principal.

And the fact is you stuffed up every season since 2000 - you had the talent to make a Grand final but were perhaps too mentally weak to do it - a team like that should have more pride - Hawthorn will win another flag before Melbourne will - I would bet my entire collection on it.

Nice language for a lady that !

The pair of you are making a mountain out of a molehill....

As Metallica has mentioned the "Dorks" is just a nickname, and from what i can gather he didnt mean anything by it....

Both of you get over it, cause it is just looking silly and petty!

As Metallica has mentioned the "Dorks" is just a nickname, and from what i can gather he didnt mean anything by it....

Yup, I thought the same but I also thought it showed great passion.......I just don't think the language is needed :) IMHO that is a mods job to clean up as **** of not it is still foul language in a public forum.

Amazing, that with all this talk of tanking to get greats picks, the top 2 teams have no one picked higher than 5 on there lists, and teams like Saint Kilda, full of early picks, are middle of tables, mainly due to injuries.

Great to see the AFL is so even that keeping your best players on the park and in form and not being able to is the difference between a top 4 spot and not making the finals

Amazing, that with all this talk of tanking to get greats picks, the top 2 teams have no one picked higher than 5 on there lists, and teams like Saint Kilda, full of early picks, are middle of tables, mainly due to injuries.

Great to see the AFL is so even that keeping your best players on the park and in form and not being able to is the difference between a top 4 spot and not making the finals

That's a very good point !

However - Don't forget 2 of the Top 4 teams have high draft picks (Judd & Hodge) and the cats got Ablett on the father-son rule so he may have gone early.

That's a very good point !

However - Don't forget 2 of the Top 4 teams have high draft picks (Judd & Hodge) and the cats got Ablett on the father-son rule so he may have gone early.

Yeah, the Hawks have Franklin, Ellis, Jordan Lewis and Roughead who were all pretty early picks, but bar Judd, the Eagles dont really have anyone who went early, apart from Cousins, who was a father-son himself.

About the father-son rule, Nathan Ablett was lucky to be picked in the top 50, but Gary Jnr wasnt considered a 1st rd pick (from memory he was pick 38) going into the draft; many teams would have been keen on him just cos he was Gary Snr's son!

Tommy Hawkins will be a gun and he probably would have gone top 3 if he hadnt joined the Cattery, and Matty Scarlett and Mark Blake also are father son rules!

We sure have done well done at Catland out of the father son rule!

Yeah, the Hawks have Franklin, Ellis, Jordan Lewis and Roughead who were all pretty early picks, but bar Judd, the Eagles dont really have anyone who went early, apart from Cousins, who was a father-son himself.

About the father-son rule, Nathan Ablett was lucky to be picked in the top 50, but Gary Jnr wasnt considered a 1st rd pick (from memory he was pick 38) going into the draft; many teams would have been keen on him just cos he was Gary Snr's son!

Tommy Hawkins will be a gun and he probably would have gone top 3 if he hadnt joined the Cattery, and Matty Scarlett and Mark Blake also are father son rules!

We sure have done well done at Catland out of the father son rule!

Yes they do - Ashley Sampi (lol)

Yes they do - Ashley Sampi (lol)

Good ole Ashley Sampi; he is long gone and god help him, cos it doesnt seem like anyone else can at this stage.

Joel Selwood, Joel Corey and Jimmy Bartel were all top 10 picks for the Cats; bar that I cant think of anyone else; Brad Ottens was #2 but he was a Richmond pick; read into that what you want.

There is no doubt the draft system is working and so is the salary cap....

In saying that Picks arent everything....wasnt Delidio top 3...and look where the Tigs sit.

And then you look at James Hird....i think he was picked in the 40's....and look where he has taken his team over the years!!

There is no doubt the draft system is working and so is the salary cap....

In saying that Picks arent everything....wasnt Delidio top 3...and look where the Tigs sit.

And then you look at James Hird....i think he was picked in the 40's....and look where he has taken his team over the years!!

Hirdy was pick 79 :eek:, Chris Grant was pick 105 :eek:

But your right Benny; if your scouting department are idiots (Richmond supporters cheer!) your not going to get anywhere; but if your on the ball, usually you will have a few good years followed by some lean; the circle of life continues in the AFL!

So if you don't mean anything by it you agree not to use it when some one respectfully asks you not to. Otherwise you are starting something and given the timing I'm not going to let it go by.

It was just a bit rich coming from him. A geelong supporter I'd accept it from, at least they are winning.

I don't make excuses for my teams past performances, they weren't a very good team.

But I won't be accepting it imple as that, I find it offensive. I call every club by its name, nickname or shortened form. It's about respect. I am allowed to disagree. I only followed on from what I received in return.

Though I bleeped out harsh language because read his comments when I'd just come off spending an hour fixing up the stuff ups of two other colleagues - and I'd just had enough. So I apologise for swearing - but I did choose to put the stars in myself.

Just sick of the crap being dished on my club by people whose teams are sucking this year.

Back
Top Bottom