1st Look Select Ashes Box Set

I reckon our thoughts are very similar Richo - here is what I wrote back on p2 of this thread:

Gee, P&H fee of $300 seems a touch steep :p

Copley's mug should be on the 2 of clubs, being the real dunce he is to produce this.

All he needed to do to make this a success was to have 40 signature cards randomly packed (1 in every 5 sets)....10 of Punter, 10 of Hussey, 10 of Strauss and 10 of Pieterson and they would have sold out within 24 hours!

they do read the forums, whether they choose to take any of it on board - well that's another story.

cheers for Liam for sending the cards on today, took almost as long in the post for them to arrive as Cook :worthy:has batted for in the series!!

these are my favourite cards! at least the ones that are worth something. although no Tremlet in the set! which is very frustrating

but on a serious note i have no idea what they are on about with 'thick card stock' as they are pretty thin. unless they measured it with 3 cards stuck together. no way they are worth the $300, more like $50-100. its nice to mark the Ashes with the set but think they need to spice it up a bit with the signatures as already mentioned on here!

all in all roll on Topps and Futera releasing some good cards later this year.

ashes 002.jpg

cheers for Liam for sending the cards on today, took almost as long in the post for them to arrive as Cook :worthy:has batted for in the series!!

these are my favourite cards! at least the ones that are worth something. although no Tremlet in the set! which is very frustrating

but on a serious note i have no idea what they are on about with 'thick card stock' as they are pretty thin. unless they measured it with 3 cards stuck together. no way they are worth the $300, more like $50-100. its nice to mark the Ashes with the set but think they need to spice it up a bit with the signatures as already mentioned on here!

all in all roll on Topps and Futera releasing some good cards later this year.

Congrats!

This set would have a special place for you I imagine.....it would for me if the rolls were reversed!

hi Richo
yes it does have a special place, thanks for the congrats too. Having been collecting cards for the last 15 years and so few english players featured it nice to have the set as a momento.
just hope its not another 24 years before i have to wait for it to happen again! lol

cheers Alex

Thanks for posting Alex, great to get your point of view. I totally understand your high interest in the set, huge win by the Poms this summer, you must have loved this summer far more than anyone else on here!

Shame about no Tremlett....I assume you plan to get the full set signed?

hi Brad
yes it has been a brilliant tour for me:D, i know you guys have suffered with it. i know what it is like on that after all these years. the one thing with Australia cricket is that until the stumps are drawn you boys never give up so it has been nervous watching at times.

as for no Tremlett i can't belive it. very hacked off with that:mad:. i did not notice initially and not until i checked through them and read bits on the back did i twig! there are people like Michael Lumb and James treadwell but no Tremlett who was in the original party. yet again it shows select lacking the time to do the job properly. i dont mind if they miss out on one of the fringe t20 or odi players, but surely they needed to have the 17 ashes touring team as a starter and then go from there!:(
yes i do plan on getting them signed, just need to work out which colour pen!

I wouldn't get them signed mate......VERY limited set (Just my 5c worth). :)

yeah i know where you are coming from, its a tricky one. but with the history of the win i think i will go for them signed.

you never know in a month or two i may pick up another set for about $50 when select realise they still have loads unsold and cut the price to a more sensible figure!

hi Brad
yes it has been a brilliant tour for me:D, i know you guys have suffered with it. i know what it is like on that after all these years. the one thing with Australia cricket is that until the stumps are drawn you boys never give up so it has been nervous watching at times.

as for no Tremlett i can't belive it. very hacked off with that:mad:. i did not notice initially and not until i checked through them and read bits on the back did i twig! there are people like Michael Lumb and James treadwell but no Tremlett who was in the original party. yet again it shows select lacking the time to do the job properly. i dont mind if they miss out on one of the fringe t20 or odi players, but surely they needed to have the 17 ashes touring team as a starter and then go from there!:(
yes i do plan on getting them signed, just need to work out which colour pen!

Your boys have played brilliantly Alex, you would think we were batting on different pitches and bowling with different balls - us using a 4 piece and you guys using a 2 piece! You have completely outplayed us on every front - even read this morning that not 1 English player has been run out in the entire series!! Very disciplined, you have clear plans when bowling to each player and have looked solid at the crease - Cook has batted for 36 hours this series! Incredible!! I see the weather is a bit ordinary at the SCG this morning but personally I don't want the Aussies to be saved by the weather this Test, a 3-1 result would be apt for such a dominant display by the Poms. Australia need to have a big think on what direction this team is to take, but gee the batting stocks are slim. People are pumping up the tyres of Shaun Marsh and Callum Ferguson - both are averaging 36 or 37 in first class cricket - not good enough!! Khawaja looks the goods and is our most stylish/classy player since Mark Waugh....I see him as a 100 Test player who will only improve.

Alex I definitely think you should go ahead and get the cards signed, it will enhance the set. If the set had autos in it already then i'd be a bit reluctant to see you get them signed but they are technically a base set, so I don't see a reason not to get them signed. With the high price of the set you may want to use 24 carat gold ink! In fact gold pen would look great with these I reckon.

Well done again on a great summer - mission accomplished!!

yeah i know where you are coming from, its a tricky one. but with the history of the win i think i will go for them signed.

you never know in a month or two i may pick up another set for about $50 when select realise they still have loads unsold and cut the price to a more sensible figure!

Fair enough :) I guess they will be limited to 199 then ;)

Fair enough :) I guess they will be limited to 199 then ;)

198 considering select keep the first one :p

Glad you got them ok Alex, shame they suck a$$ and represent the worst series in 24 years :lol:

198 considering select keep the first one :p

Glad you got them ok Alex, shame they suck a$$ and represent the worst series in 24 years :lol:

I reckon Select will be keeping the first one AND the last 150!! :lol:

I know this is digging an old thread but curious if you have any pics of these signed Alex?

Still for sale at full price :rolleyes:

https://www.selectaustralia.com.au/products/product.php?id=1262

Back
Top Bottom