1st Look Select Ashes Box Set

cheers for picking up the set Liam. I agree with all the comments on the cards, it looks like select are just cashing in on suspected demand without putting any thought into the set. A signature card randonly inserted would have been great and a folder surely a must, not just a ribbish plastic case! would be interested to know how many sets actually are sold. Although this makes the Goldie series look a great release! As has been said before select will turn around and say there is no demand in the cricket market! Which as we all know is not true

roll on some competition from Topps and Futera next year! :D

i may be interested in picking up some of the english players if a box share did go ahead though

Not a problem Alex, glad to be able to help! When you start getting some of these signed add them to this thread mate and show us what could have been... Like I said in the email yesterday and i think someone else said too, a silver marker would look real nice on these! Brad's idea of the sigs randomly inserted is a corker and would have cost them SFA and added immediate credibility to the set! When I opened these my first thoughts were thank god these aren't for me, and I actually felt bad that select have shafted collectors yet again and I am the one passing these on! The card stock is like the 09/10 base set, not thicker at all, and the backs of the cards have some chipping ala the fronts of the 5000RC inserts, and the beautiful plastic case says made in china.

I have underdeclared a few packages for you recently to aid your customs fees, but today when I marked the value of these as $15, I didn't feel like I was lying for a change.....

cheers for picking up the set Liam. I agree with all the comments on the cards, it looks like select are just cashing in on suspected demand without putting any thought into the set. A signature card randonly inserted would have been great and a folder surely a must, not just a ribbish plastic case! would be interested to know how many sets actually are sold. Although this makes the Goldie series look a great release! As has been said before select will turn around and say there is no demand in the cricket market! Which as we all know is not true

roll on some competition from Topps and Futera next year! :D

i may be interested in picking up some of the english players if a box share did go ahead though

Has this been confirmed mate? If so....I am bloody excited!!

---------- Post added 23-12-2010 at 08:39 AM ----------

I have underdeclared a few packages for you recently to aid your customs fees, but today when I marked the value of these as $15, I didn't feel like I was lying for a change.....

Genuine LOL's.

need a few autos in the set to make $300 there worth about 35 to me like the premiership league and afl sets.

I would still ike to do the box split. the ones that no one wants on here can be sold on ebay to the people that payed for the box set.

Noone is silly enough to outlay the cost of this set and split it up in the hope of making their money back. If you are so keen on the idea, you do it.

In other words, YOU buy the box set, take your precious Hughes card out and YOU sell the rest of the cards to recoup the costs YOU outlay.

If you can't do it for whatever reason, then shut the hell up about it. It's really getting tiring hearing you go on about it.

There's an opportunity to do it yourself on ebay for sure.

But LOL that the set is so crap that nobody on here even wants to do a share! haha

Quality work, Select.

Noone is silly enough to outlay the cost of this set and split it up in the hope of making their money back. If you are so keen on the idea, you do it.

In other words, YOU buy the box set, take your precious Hughes card out and YOU sell the rest of the cards to recoup the costs YOU outlay.

If you can't do it for whatever reason, then shut the hell up about it. It's really getting tiring hearing you go on about it.

I said it twice? I hate it when people say things twice and then get this sort of abuse.

I said it twice? I hate it when people say things twice and then get this sort of abuse.

Chin up precious - that wasn't abuse. It was the truth.

Someone may end up breaking a set, or the price of the set will be reduced when Select realise they are having trouble moving them (not likely). You will just have to wait for your chance if you won't/can't pony up the cash for the set yourself.

Don't worry Jack. Someone will break it on ebay sooner or later. Just be patient. It won't happen overnite but it will happen.

It was a little harsh but it certainly wasn't abuse mate.

I understand you being keen though, I am actually keen on the whole set.....just not at that price.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I have been thinking about this set since it was released, I like the white borders and really like the design but I would prefer a whole Australian Set.

Here are my thoughts, feel free to agree of disagree!

If you think about it the price isn't too bad (What the F*&% I hear you saying), well this is one way you could look at it:

a. The AFL Scanlens Collection of 33 Cards limited to 400 serial numbered sets is selling for $400 (And selling quite well).
b. The Ashes Cricket set is a nine less cards but half the production run meaning it is even rarer.
c. There is no other 2010/11 Cricket available.

The problems Select have not taken into consideration are:

a. AFL is a lot more popular when it comes to card collecting in Australia.
b. Half of the 2010/11 Ashes Set most Australians probably would not want.
c. The have not time the sets release well (Considering the teams current form).
d. Australia is getting flogged in the Ashes so why would we want cards of the first team to lose the Ashes on Home soil in 24 years (lol).

I think Select have done some GREAT things lately (In the last 5 years) but there have been multiple issues that keep cropping up (Like same old same old) so when they try something new and it doesn't come off people are all over them with complaints.

Personally I would REALLY like a set that is this limited but I won't pay that sort of price.

All it would have taken for me to be interested is to add a Signature in every two sets or so, they could have just done a Captain Signature Card (of each team) limited to 50 (Like in the AFL) and inserted them into every second set.

How many people here would have shelled out $300 for a set limited to 200 and the 1 in 2 chance at a Ricky Ponting or Andrew Strauss Signature Card limited to 50 ???

I 100% would have bought two sets!

I would be completely shocked if they have sold more than 20-30 sets.

Website down, everyone on holidays over the time the set was released, Australia getting flogged, overpriced to buggery...just can't see where any hint of justification for this being a $300 set?

If this was released a month earlier they may have sold 40 sets by now. Bad timing for it to come out just when the Ashes were all but gone.

Not sure what they will do with the remaining 150+ sets they are stuck with!!! Baaaaaaaahhhhaaaaahahahahahahaha

I would be completely shocked if they have sold more than 20-30 sets.

Website down, everyone on holidays over the time the set was released, Australia getting flogged, overpriced to buggery...just can't see where any hint of justification for this being a $300 set?

If this was released a month earlier they may have sold 40 sets by now. Bad timing for it to come out just when the Ashes were all but gone.

Not sure what they will do with the remaining 150+ sets they are stuck with!!! Baaaaaaaahhhhaaaaahahahahahahaha

What did you think of my thoughts on the set Brad?

Back
Top Bottom