What to do when buying cards on eBay!

chadjaja

On the way back!
Real Name
John Holmes
* Check out the seller's feedback rating to see what their past customers have thought of their items

* Never bid on an auction where the current high bidder's ID is kept private. Most likely they will be shills. In other words, the seller will create multiple accounts where he/she will bid on their own items to raise the price.

* If you see a card up for sale that you are interested in buying do a little research and make sure that the company really did make that type of card

* If the card you are planning to buy has a piece of material in it (jersey, patch, pants, etc) see if the colors match up with the colors of the team(s) the player has played with

* There are some companies that have specific cards for jerseys and specific cards for patches. The jersey cards will say jersey and the patch cards will say jersey - prime or patch.

* If you see a high #'ed card or a card that is not #'ed at all that contains a patch that is too good to be true, most likely it will be fake

* When looking at a material card see if the window that holds the piece of material is clean. By clean I mean there are no fringe cut marks from where the seller could have cut into the card to insert a piece of fake material. People can buy patches and other types of material and insert them into a card.

* Properly read the item description. Some people will tell you in the decription that the card that is up for sale is custom made and was not made by the company.

* If someone is selling an autographed card look and see if it has a hologram sticker on the back with a number. If you can't see the back of the card ask the seller to send you a picture of the back. Some card companies also may use a stamp or seal that overlaps the foil the autograph is on and the card. The stamp or seal is usually the logo of the company.

* If you are planning to buy a card that the seller says that they got it signed in person I would ask for a COA. Or you could look for an autographed card that is certified by Global, PSA, or any other certification company.

* If you are interested in buying a card see if you can find that exact same card up for sale by another seller and compare the two. Fake card makers can be good but sometimes they can make and error that sticks out when you compare it to the real thing.

* Some companies hand number their cards instead of machine stamp. Make sure the card you want to buy was hand numbered by the company. You can do this by checking to see if that company did hand number those particular cards.

* Believe it or not some people have found a way to stamp cards to look like a machine did it. Take a look at the size and shape of the stamped number and try and compare it to another card like it.

* People have found ways to counterfeit vintage cards too. A way to spot these fakes is to look at the condition of the card. If the card seems to good to be true it probably is. Take a look at the card and see if the color is rich and dark. Having rich dark color usually means its a fake. The best way to avoid buying a fake vintage card is to buy one that is graded/authenticated by PSA, Global, or any other certification company. By doing this you will decrease the chances of buying a fake vintage card.

* When buying a box of cards make sure it is factory sealed. You don't want to buy a box of cards that has been tampered with. A good sign that the box of cards is factory sealed is the plastic seal over the box has the company logo all over it.

* Don't buy Fleer redemption cards that you will have to mail in. Fleer is no longer in business and they are still getting rid of their assets. It could be awhile before you see the card it is for.

Oh and ASK for a shipping quote if they don't have one!

regarding the fleer redemptions, i remember reading a few days ago about a dealer in america who bought all remaining cards in the fleer vaults, and who is going to honour all the valid redemptions, so i hope nobody threw their fleer redemptions away! :D

just thought id add something to this....

if its international see if the seller has paypal and if they do sometimes they dont ship to unconfirmed address which is usually international so ask them if they will ship to Australia.

* Never bid on an auction where the current high bidder's ID is kept private. Most likely they will be shills. In other words, the seller will create multiple accounts where he/she will bid on their own items to raise the price.

Just thought I would update this excellent FAQ. I suppose its nothing new to most but it may help someone.

Ebay has recently changed the format now for our security (I personally think this is questionable), eBay limits how your bid history information is displayed by using anonymous names such as Bidder1, Bidder 2. Your complete User ID is shown to the seller of this item only. Bidders ID are now always kept private.

If you suspect "shilling" click on the bid history of the auction from there you can access the other bidderes bid history with that buyer, it's not a perfect means of telling, but if someone is always bidding on auctions from the same seller and never winning or has retractions...well buyer beware !

just thought id add something to this....

if its international see if the seller has paypal and if they do sometimes they dont ship to unconfirmed address which is usually international so ask them if they will ship to Australia.

More on this one, being we are Australian PayPal members, we have the ability to be Verified, rather than Confirmed (US Only).

If you're account is verified, you can mention this to the seller(s) and they're usually more than happy to accept that.

Hello,

The information stated in this whole thread is PRICELESS. I am very impressed with the amount of helpful information stated, but if only more people noticed and read through this thread because it could basically save a lot of people a lot of money and time.

I will definetly copy and past the above information into a private word document and save it for future reference. Excellent work by all who have already paticipated and noted a couple more helpful tips.

Regards

just be careful with paypal and buying overseas
theres a few sites around that have some horror stories about paypal and the company keeping their cash and saying the deal looked suspect, when the original seller and buyer had already agreed, payed etc etc.....they were both happy with the deal (it was for over $1000 i reckon, yet paypal comes along freezes the account and takes the money....which apparently they are allowed to do, something about fine print lol.

dont want to put a dampener on the great thread that has very useful info, but yeah just be careful as best as u can be i spose...if it happens, it happens.

i wont use it....refuse too.

* If you see a high #'ed card or a card that is not #'ed at all that contains a patch that is too good to be true, most likely it will be fake

As mitch and i collect NFL and some Basketball and have some of the above (from the FAQ). could someone explain"too good to be true"
Example. have08/09 UD masterpiece(green frame) Matt Ryan(CC51) atlanta falcons,Event worn. no number like others we have, 1/500, 9/10,10/10..steven

Back
Top Bottom