The road to season 2015

Day 26 (161 days to go)

Yesterday it was revealed Essendon players will not respond to the show-cause notices issued by ASADA. This is a good thing, as AFL news is slowing down and so it gives us a topic to debate.

Day 27 (160 days to go)

Collingwood 2015 Season Preview

Collingwood had a very disappointing 2014 season, and followed it up with a relatively poor trade period. Losing Dayne Beams is a big blow. Picking up Jack Crisp, Levi Greenwood and Travis Varcoe offset this to an extent, but I have a feeling that losing Beams is a long-term blow to the Pies.

Despite this their midfield still has some star power. Dane Swan and Scott Pendlebury are two of the best players in the AFL. Greenwood is a handy addition, but the Beams loss (along with Luke Ball's retirement) will leave a big hole. Who will step up? It's hard to say.

Travis Cloke at his best is the premier power forward in the competition, and if he can get some consistency in 2015, he will be up there in the Coleman. The retirement of Nick Maxwell robs them of some much-needed leadership down back. Look for Ben Reid to step up and become one of the game's best defenders.

Overall, I think 2015 will be another one of rebuilding for the Pies, as young players gain some experience to fill the holes left by retirements and trades.

Predictions:

B&F: Scott Pendlebury
Most Brownlow votes: Scott Pendlebury (23)
Most goals: Travis Cloke (59)
Most improved: Ben Reid
Position: 16th

Tomorrow: Essendon

Last edited:
Day 28 (159 days to go)

Essendon 2015 Season Preview

Of course all the talk surrounding Essendon is about the drugs saga and possible ASADA sanctions and hearings and all that. But let's take a step back and have a look at their 2015 season without taking into account possible bans.

Even without bans there is no doubt the whole ongoing drama will drain the players mentally, and I feel 2015 will be the year they finally crack and descend down the table. Patrick Ryder is a huge loss. Ruckmen with such athletic ability and versatility are rare. The addition of Jonathan Giles may help cover this to an extent, but he is not close to the caliber of Ryder. Adam Cooney is an interesting pickup, and I feel he will provide some vital experience in the Bombers midfield to complement Jobe Watson. Jake Carlisle needs to have another big year, along with Joe Daniher, in order for the Bombers to be competitive in most games.

The other question is: will Dustin Fletcher reach 400 games? I certainly hope so; someone who has been playing since before the first Select series deserves to get there! Unfortunately, I feel this could be the one shining light for Essendon in what in all likelihood will be another year of controversy, drama and poor on field results.

Predictions:

B&F: Jake Carlisle
Most Brownlow votes: Jobe Watson (15)
Most goals: Joe Daniher (50)
Most improved: Joe Daniher
Position: 15th

Tomorrow: Fremantle

Day 29 (158 days to go)

Fremantle 2015 Season Preview

After their 2013 Grand Final loss, most Dockers supporters expected them to go one better in 2014. For a while it looked like they were a chance, until an unstoppable Port Adelaide overran them in the final quarter of the semi-final. Unfortunately there is less reason for optimism next season, as their stars don't get any younger (in 2014 the Dockers had the oldest list in the AFL) and a lack of young talent begins to show.

The three most important players for Fremantle are Matthew Pavlich, Luke McPharlin and Aaron Sandilands. It is possible 2015 will be the last season for all three; McPharlin will almost certainly retire at the end of next season, Pavlich likely will, and Sandilands maybe. Thus it is unlikely all three players will play the whole season, so who will take their spots when they are unavailable? Pavlich is hard to replace; the Dockers don't have a whole lot of proven key forwards, and it looks the most likely player to succeed him will be Matt Taberner, who as yet hasn't shown a whole lot. Jonathan Griffin will have to replace Sandilands, as a back-up to Zac Clarke; again, Griffin has not yet reached his potential. Last season McPharlin did miss a lot of games, and the defence seemed somewhat depleted, but Michael Johnson took over and kept the backline operating well.

The Dockers have a strong midfield, headlined by Nat Fyfe, their forward line is decent, and the backs are more than adequate, but what concerns me the most is the lack of 18-21 year olds who are making an impact. Players such as Lee Spurr, who is a relatively recent addition to the Dockers backline, is 27. Hayden Ballantyne, who debuted in 2009, is also 27. For me the key to the fortunes of the Dockers in the next few years are how they draft this November, as they need an influx of solid young talent. This is the reason I have the Dockers sliding a little down the ladder in 2015.

Predictions:

B&F: Nat Fyfe
Most Brownlow votes: Nat Fyfe (23)
Most goals: Matthew Pavlich (44)
Most improved: Matt Taberner
Position: 8th

Thoughts @Jesse Dart ?

Friday: Geelong

@Scotty_WCE I can see some of your logic, and not trading that joke Zac Clarke certainly didn't help, but I think 8th is a bit harsh. IMO they will finish in the top 6. But you have done a great job and all of your predictions have been well thought out and clearly non bias.

@Scotty_WCE I can see some of your logic, and not trading that joke Zac Clarke certainly didn't help, but I think 8th is a bit harsh. IMO they will finish in the top 6. But you have done a great job and all of your predictions have been well thought out and clearly non bias.
Fair call mate. Dockers could well finish top 6, it's all about how much game time Pavlich, Sandilands and McPharlin get, and how well they are covered when they miss games.

I didn't know that you don't like Zac Clarke! Is that opinion shared by most Dockers supporters, or is that just your gut feeling, that he'll never amount to much.

Rodney eade looks like being appointed new coach of Suns, Brendan McCartney new developnent coach at melbourne and mark harvey returns to bombers

The Saints are crying out for some quality key position players , but with Petracca, Billings & Dunstan in the midfield you could build a team around that for years to come. Same with Melbourne if they go with Mccartin. Hogan and Mcartin up front sounds good.

I know a few Dockers fans who don't like Clarke, for me I find myself not liking his attitude (he seems uninterested half the time) and for me doesn't do enough around the ground to be considered the future number one ruckmen. And don't get me started on Moller...

Day 30 (157 days to go)

The rumour going around that Rodney Eade was likely to be the new Gold Coast coach took everyone by surprise, as many thought Eade had left senior coaching for good. I think this would be a good appointment; he's tough, no-nonsense, and he could well lead the Suns to their first premiership.

In other news Sam Mitchell talked about the upcoming International Rules series, mainly about how he is kicking the round ball as much as he can in order to get a feel for it; it's well known this is traditionally Australia's weakness. Do you guys like the International Rules concept, or would you prefer State of Origin or something similar?

Day 31 (156 days to go)

So as expected Rodney Eade was officially unveiled as the new Gold Coast coach today. How do you guys think he will go? As I wrote above I can easily see Eade coaching the Suns to their first premiership.

NAB Cup fixtures were also released today. Good to see some rural and suburban grounds getting a game! I'd be interested to know your guys thoughts on the NAB Cup; do you see it as just a bit of fun before the real stuff begins, or does it give a real idea of how your team will go that season?

I think that the NAB Cup in its current format is a bit pointless as far as offering a "form guide" is concerned - round-robin, shortened games, rule trials, some clubs play their kids, others play full-strength sides.....if anything it probably disheartens some supporters!

That said, I guess match simulation for the Home and Away season is pretty important and when teams like Melbourne, Western Bulldogs and St Kilda do well, it gives them the chance of a membership spike.

In relation to the International Rules - I quite like it and this year's squad in particular under Clarko should be pretty hard at it! I want to get one of the replica player jumpers, I reckon they look brilliant.

Not a fan of State of Origin footy, I can't see it ever making a comeback...maybe by the time I'm six feet under there might be a "Centenary" exhibition game but I just think that with the level of professionalism, the money involved and drafting/trading, clubs and players aren't fair dinkum about risking the best in the business for a meaningless "one off" each year as the chase for the Premiership is more important to them.

Last edited:
Shock! Rocket got a new gig as senior coach. Didn't see that coming , but I'm stoked the older fellas are still considered.
Maybe a rocket is that they need?

I see that Eddie says he won't release him until collingwood receive compensation....these are words I rarely use, but "Good job, Ed!". If a club breaks the contract of an assistant coach, they are obliged to pay the coach out his full contract. Yet if an assistant coach moves on mid-contract, it's simply "Bad luck, Collingwood (in this case), I start tomorrow at my new job".

It's about time that the Players Association and Coaches Association told their own constituents some home truths instead of telling every other bastard how to run the show.

NAB Cup fixtures were also released today. Good to see some rural and suburban grounds getting a game! I'd be interested to know your guys thoughts on the NAB Cup; do you see it as just a bit of fun before the real stuff begins, or does it give a real idea of how your team will go that season?

Its great for seeing some of the kids get a run who are likely to spend most of the year playing in the twos.

Sucks they put the Townsville game on a late Sunday arvo though. Kinds makes it difficult to drive the 5 hours back to Cairns for work on Monday. :confused:

Day 32 (155 days to go)

Parts of the fixture started leaking out, which...

Day 33 (154 days to go)

...has now been fully released. http://www.afl.com.au/fixture

The season starts a week late due to the cricket World Cup, meaning no split opening round and an October Grand Final. There are more Saturday afternoon games, and Sunday night games have been dumped after poor attendances this year. Every Victorian team will be travelling interstate at least five times. Also, there will be five games on Anzac Day to commemorate the 100th anniversary. What do you think of your team's fixture?

Back
Top Bottom