The road to season 2015

Scotty_WCE

West Coast card collector!
Real Name
Scott
eBay User
scotty_wce
Well season 2014 has finished, and supporters of 17 of the 18 clubs are looking towards 2015 (Hawks fans, you're entitled to savour the success for a little longer!). Over the off-season, I'm going to keep a journal, documenting my thoughts, ideas and predictions. The main reason being purely that I think it will be cool to look through my thoughts when season 2015 rolls around. Please feel free to contribute!

Day 1 (~185 days to go)

Well today was a sad day: as I woke it dawned on me that footy was over for 2014. I have been looking to 2015 since Richmond snuck home against the Swans in Round 23, but it's hard to do that when the finals are on! For Hawthorn their celebrations were just kicking off, to the expense of Melbourne train users! However, already there are rumours surrounding many players: notably Ryder and Beams. Ryder should end up at Port, Beams at Brisbane. Other players maybe moving clubs include Malceski and Carlisle: both would be great inclusions to any teams with plenty to offer. Trade rumours are in abundance at this time of year, and so very little can be said for certain, but personally I enjoy the speculation. When trade week rolls around, more will be known about the immediate future of the 18 clubs!

What are your thoughts on the 2 GF teams? Anyone leaving or retiring?

I read that the Swans average age was 30.21 and the Hawks 26.49 - A good sign as a Hawks fan!

Goodes - 34, unrestricted FA, I think more than 50% will retire
Malceski - unrestricted FA

Burgoyne, Lake, MItchell - All about to turn 32, i think none of them are about to retire
Brad Sewell - unrestricted FA, don't think he is going anywhere, however knows he has to work hard to crack back into the team.
James Frawley - huh? Apparently Hawthorn is a front runner to sign him! - http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-09-28/hawks-may-tempt-frawley

What are your thoughts on the 2 GF teams? Anyone leaving or retiring?

I read that the Swans average age was 30.21 and the Hawks 26.49 - A good sign as a Hawks fan!

Goodes - 34, unrestricted FA, I think more than 50% will retire
Malceski - unrestricted FA

Burgoyne, Lake, MItchell - All about to turn 32, i think none of them are about to retire
Brad Sewell - unrestricted FA, don't think he is going anywhere, however knows he has to work hard to crack back into the team.
James Frawley - huh? Apparently Hawthorn is a front runner to sign him! - http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-09-28/hawks-may-tempt-frawley
Ah yes forgot about Frawley: if Hawthorn get him that's a huge boost and a three peat perhaps gets a little more realistic!

Hawthorn and Sydney, I expect, will both finish top 4 next season, along with Port and possibly Gold Coast. Sydney are definitely a bit more reliant on their older players, but I think the firepower of their forward line should be enough to keep them up the top for a while. Hawthorn are in a very good place at the moment. A balanced team with enough experience from the older players, and flair from the younger players. If they are relatively injury free next year look out: Premiership number "Thirteeeeeeeeen" (;)) could be Hawthorn's.

Dayne Beams has reaffirmed his decision to leave Collingwood, despite their best efforts to get him to stay.

Jono O'Rouke has requested a trade to a Vic club.

Jarrad Waite is set to leave Carlton, announcing he'll explore his options in free agency. Kangas are the hot tip apparently offering him the two year deal Carlton weren't willing to risk.

And Alex Fasolo has rebuffed Barrett's earlier claims that he was leaving Collingwood for St Kilda.

In more trade news......Brian Taylor has left 3AW! It has been suggested that he will return to Triple M. Mike Sheahan has more-or-less retired too, he will continue with his excellent Open Mike show on Fox Footy but no more radio or On The Couch for "precious", as Clarko calls him :)

Day 2 (~184 days to go)

More trade speculation today: Waite leaving, Lumumba nominating Dees as his club of choice, speculation mounting surround Dangerfield, and even BT got himself in the news! There's been a lot of debating about whether Hawthorn has overthrown Geelong as the most dominant team of the last decade (I think Geelong still by a nose); whether it's Hawthorn's best ever premiership (quite possibly); whether a team has ever had to overcome more obstacles to win the flag (possibly, not in recent memory anyway). Mock drafts are kicking off, and despite the season having just ended, there's still anticipation and drama in the air!

Day 3 (~183 days to go)

The major trade news today was Mitch Clark nominating Geelong as his preferred destination. I reckon this is a huge risk: any comments from Cats supporters? Testing of those nominating for the 2014 draft also began today, so keep an eye out for those that excel, and perhaps boost themselves up the order a little. The Eagles began their list clean out today by delisting Ash Smith and Jacob Brennan: probably the right call on both counts. Sometimes clubs have to make the big call on which players to move on, but you'd want to get it right (Anthony Miles!).

Gorringe is kidding if he thinks he'll earn a spot at Port.

Surprised by Patful wanting a move to a Sydney team to finish his career at.

Ash Smith was a much maligned player and while he wasn't terrible when he came in late this season, his delisting was inevitable. Its tough when a father-son doesn't work out, but in 4 seasons Brennan never cemented himself in the best 22.

Day 4 (~182 days to go)

Aha! The first major story of the off-season, with Guy McKenna sacked. In my opinion he should feel extremely hardly done by: if that tackle had been slightly different, not causing Ablett's shoulder to pop, they would have finished top 8 and it would have been viewed as a successful season. But we all know what happened, and McKenna is the one who pays for it. The replacement will be interesting: I think if they do lure Bomber, you can lock in Top 8 next season for the Suns. Speaking of Top 8, here's my tentative predicted ladder for 2015:

1. Sydney
2. Port Adelaide
3. Hawthorn
4. North Melbourne
5. Gold Coast
6. West Coast
7. Geelong
8. Fremantle
--------------------------
9. Adelaide
10. Carlton
11. Brisbane
12. Essendon
13. Richmond
14. Western Bulldogs
15. Melbourne
16. Collingwood
17. Greater Western Sydney
18. St Kilda

This is subject to change following trade week, draft, etc!

@Scotty_WCE - I don't wanna play Port Adelaide away in the first week of the finals! :)

Geelong I reckon are the great unknown - if they end up with Clark AND Frawley, it makes them a completely different - and more potent - team. Harry Taylor could play forward more often, to accompany Hawkins and Clark.

North Melbourne interest me - I suspect they think they are closer to a flag than a lot of people think. Not sure how much value Jarrad Waite offers them, although a season alongside Drew Petrie could make them a handful.

I like your top 8 - there is generally one bolter each year and Gold Coast could be it!

West Coast in the top 8 :rofl:. And Carlton won't make it past fourteenth.
We should have finished top 8 this year. Did you watch any Eagles games at the end of the season? We started playing as a team, had adjusted to Simpson's game plan, and looked extremely good. I expect next season we will play like that in more games, will have less injuries (hopefully) and, this may sound weird, but I think Priddis' Brownlow win will give the entire midfield some confidence. Eagles should finish top 6 next season.
@Scotty_WCE - I don't wanna play Port Adelaide away in the first week of the finals! :)

Geelong I reckon are the great unknown - if they end up with Clark AND Frawley, it makes them a completely different - and more potent - team. Harry Taylor could play forward more often, to accompany Hawkins and Clark.

North Melbourne interest me - I suspect they think they are closer to a flag than a lot of people think. Not sure how much value Jarrad Waite offers them, although a season alongside Drew Petrie could make them a handful.

I like your top 8 - there is generally one bolter each year and Gold Coast could be it!
The make up of the top 4 will be interesting next year - I reckon Hawthorn, Sydney and Port Adelaide will occupy the top 3 spots in some order, and the 4th could be one of a number. But as you said, I wouldn't want to be playing a final at the 'Portress'!

Agree with Geelong - Clark and Frawley could be what gets them one more year in the top 4. And imagine if they snagged Dangerfield! That would be huge.

North I've slotted into 4th, just because they have the potential to get there. Of course, consistency is key and they can't afford to lose 4 or 5 close ones!

I can see Bomber Thompson turning the Gold Coast side into a force to be reckoned with: he'd be the perfect fit, and if they can avoid any more injuries to Ablett, I don't see why they can't make finals for the first time, and who knows, they may go deeper than we think!

Back
Top Bottom