The Official LA LAKERS thread!!

Phil only wins them in 3's.....one more to go....then retire!!!

Can you believe Phil has only been Coach of the Year once??[/QUOTE]

Hard to believe! Love to see them threepeat!

Hope they pick up a gun pg now. Nothing wrong with Fish, but would love to see an allstar calibre pg in the backcourt with Kobe eg. CP3

how amazing would another 3 peat be?? it'll be sick. Rumors are they've been looking at trying to sign Steve Blake or earl watson using their mid level.. I think i would rather Blake since he can shoot the 3 ball pretty well. and is a willing passer to come off the bench since it looks like farmar and shannon brown are going to leave. which really doesn't bother me except i liked browns high flying game.

The signs were all there yesterday - Brian Shaw withdrawing from Cavs job and Byron Scott getting involved...clearly as a result of Phil deciding to stay.

Other rumours now include using Odom and maybe Sasha in a trade for Okafor (and his huge 4 yr $52m contract) and Collison. That would be the trade to chase IMO...Okafor provides back up to Bynum and Gasol, and Collison becomes the starting PG we need post Phil. Gives us nightmares down the track with silly $$ owing to Bynum and Okafor in a couple of years, but by that time we will be too busy shining the trophies to care! :woot:

Other talk involves CP3, but that relies on the Lakers doing a C's 'sell the farm' style, which is not the best option. From what I saw last year, if I was Mitch I would target Collison in a huge way.

The signs were all there yesterday - Brian Shaw withdrawing from Cavs job and Byron Scott getting involved...clearly as a result of Phil deciding to stay.

Other rumours now include using Odom and maybe Sasha in a trade for Okafor (and his huge 4 yr $52m contract) and Collison. That would be the trade to chase IMO...Okafor provides back up to Bynum and Gasol, and Collison becomes the starting PG we need post Phil. Gives us nightmares down the track with silly $$ owing to Bynum and Okafor in a couple of years, but by that time we will be too busy shining the trophies to care! :woot:

Other talk involves CP3, but that relies on the Lakers doing a C's 'sell the farm' style, which is not the best option. From what I saw last year, if I was Mitch I would target Collison in a huge way.

I would still love to see that all star backcourt, Collison is awesome mind you, much cheaper ;)

LA have offered Mike MIller 30MIL over 5 Years and his camp have been told by the Lakers Front Office that he has till the days end to either agree or decline......Interesting.....But they do need to sign another PG

LA have offered Mike MIller 30MIL over 5 Years and his camp have been told by the Lakers Front Office that he has till the days end to either agree or decline......Interesting.....But they do need to sign another PG

wow! i dunno what to think!! hes a good player but for 5 years?? we could use his 3 point shooting off the bench. but i was still hoping they would be chasing Steve Blake!!

Looks like they're not confirming this offer but you never know, with the FA market at the moment they might just be covering their bases.

---------- Post added 03-07-2010 at 07:38 AM ----------

Yeah I had that felling aswell. Welcome back Phil, we missed you already!

LOS ANGELES The NBA champions have a new point guard: Steve Blake.

Blake and the Lakers reached agreement Friday on a four-year, $16 million contract after Blake turned down overtures from five other teams for a chance to play alongside Kobe Bryant and under coach Phil Jackson as Los Angeles goes for a three-peat next season, an NBA source told ESPN.com.

Blake will earn a $4 million salary in each of the four seasons, with all the money guaranteed. He also earned $4 million last season when he played for Portland and the Los Angeles Clippers.

It remains to be seen whether he will emerge as the starting point guard ahead of Derek Fisher, who is an unrestricted free agent and was reportedly offered a $2.5 million salary for next season -- a 50 percent pay cut.

Blake, a seven-year veteran who won a national championship at Maryland, was one of the few quality point guards available this summer in a frenzied free agent market in which the focus has been on the biggest names LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, Chris Bosh and Amare Stoudemire.

Many of the teams pursuing those max free agents also have a need at the point guard position, but Blake's signing means the pool of unrestricted available free agent point guards has now shrunk by one, leaving Raymond Felton (Charlotte) and Luke Ridnour (Milwaukee) as arguably the two best remaining players still on the market.

The Lakers will be Blake's sixth team after stints with Washington, Milwaukee, Denver, Portland and the Clippers.

Chris Sheridan is a senior writer for ESPN.com.

I called it :) I'm happy they got Steve Blake he fills their PG void that is uncertain at the moment

Interesting news, but still would have prefered they chased Colison tho. Either way interesting to see who starts. Whats the go with JFarm? Expired contract or just being shopped around? Also any more news on the possible Odom or Bynum and someone else for Bosh?

Interesting news, but still would have prefered they chased Colison tho. Either way interesting to see who starts. Whats the go with JFarm? Expired contract or just being shopped around? Also any more news on the possible Odom or Bynum and someone else for Bosh?

Farmar actually said he wanted out in his exit interview......I think the Pacers were chasing him???
Blake is definatley an up-grade at the back up PG....We can still chase collison if needed when Fish signs a 1 YR deal we can go after him next YR....:D:D

No new news on the Bosh front not sure that deal will happen.....Still like for us to pick up another 2 FA......SF/PF spots...

---------- Post added 03-07-2010 at 03:21 PM ----------

Some more news on Fish, He wants $10MIL over the next 2 YRS??????.....WTF??LA offered $2.5 over 1......

Derek Fisher: Lakers offer no deal to free agent Derek Fisher - latimes.com

Well looks like D Fish is back, I think it's longer term, 3 years and Farmar is off to NJ to start ahead of D Harris. ;)

Jokes aside, I wish him the best. Won't miss his 'I can't do no wrong' attitude but still kinda sad being a PC player.

With Fish on board I don't think there's much more we can do with the FA market, Barnes and Bell look like they'll be hard to sign but the T Mac rumors/requests are still floating about, even though Lakers management nor McGrady himself have mentioned anything about negotiations.

With Brown most likely gone I'd love to see McGrady come to LA, for that reason alone. If we can get him cheap he either bounces back from injury like Grant Hill has or at the very worst he rides us all the way to the championship. With limited options I think it's worth the risk.

Good on Fish for re-signing with the Lakers, just wouldn't look right in any other jersey!
You mean like this:
derek-fisher.jpg

...and this?
warriors_684.jpg

:)

Three years is a year too long...he is slow now, imaging him at 38? Blake will be starting for us by AS break, but happy to have Fish back...if not just for the big game shots he continues to hit in the playoffs!

Also with Farmar going...meh... He had his chance to show that he could run this offence and failed. Doesn't have the court vision nor the shooting range to become a quality starting PG in the NBA IMO.

Yeah those jerseys really don't suit him! I have to agree with the three year thing but then again good on LA for sticking by him. It keeps Kobe happy and that's what we want, right? Not only that, Blake is destined to step in eventually so by the time Fish's minutes are dramatically reduced in a year or two, he'll still be invaluable as far as veteren leadership goes. You want your players giving it all on the floor, but if he slows down, he'll still be a great 'locker room presence', as much as i cringe at that saying some times, in this case it's spot on. Not only that, he's pretty fit for his age as far as proffessional athletes go so he may have a bit left in the tank.

Well looks like D Fish is back, I think it's longer term, 3 years and Farmar is off to NJ to start ahead of D Harris. ;)

Jokes aside, I wish him the best. Won't miss his 'I can't do no wrong' attitude but still kinda sad being a PC player.

With Fish on board I don't think there's much more we can do with the FA market, Barnes and Bell look like they'll be hard to sign but the T Mac rumors/requests are still floating about, even though Lakers management nor McGrady himself have mentioned anything about negotiations.

With Brown most likely gone I'd love to see McGrady come to LA, for that reason alone. If we can get him cheap he either bounces back from injury like Grant Hill has or at the very worst he rides us all the way to the championship. With limited options I think it's worth the risk.

Good luck to Farmar!!!The thing i dont understand is he is going to New Jersey were Devin Harris is starting PG so is that there starting Back court???Farmar and HArris???

Blake is a valueable pick up and is an up grade on farmar!!!Be nice to see them pick up another signing.....Kobe and Raja Bell are meeting to discuss Bell signing with LA....Also with Q-Rich signing with Orlando there is a very slight chance of Barnes also coming on board......

yeah i hope raja bell comes onboard, imaging that defensive line up against the heat... Raja on Wade, Artest on Lebron, Bynum (or gasol) on Bosh and then kobe to roam and help out on D agains the guards, not scared of mario chalmers... I'd actually prefer Raja over Tmac... although i wouldn't mind Tmac with scoring off the bench with odom

yeah i hope raja bell comes onboard, imaging that defensive line up against the heat... Raja on Wade, Artest on Lebron, Bynum (or gasol) on Bosh and then kobe to roam and help out on D agains the guards, not scared of mario chalmers... I'd actually prefer Raja over Tmac... although i wouldn't mind Tmac with scoring off the bench with odom

I think defensively, Bell is the obvious choice, just always admired T Mac's game so would love to see him get a ring with LA. That aside, Bell would be great, he's a fighter, great on Defense, will knock down those open looks. Hopefully if anything becomes of that he can stay healthy all season. Not big on the Kurt Thomas talks but hey, if we need a big man and there are none available, what are you gonna do?

---------- Post added 15-07-2010 at 01:15 AM ----------

Good luck to Farmar!!!The thing i dont understand is he is going to New Jersey were Devin Harris is starting PG so is that there starting Back court???Farmar and HArris???

Blake is a valueable pick up and is an up grade on farmar!!!Be nice to see them pick up another signing.....Kobe and Raja Bell are meeting to discuss Bell signing with LA....Also with Q-Rich signing with Orlando there is a very slight chance of Barnes also coming on board......

Not sure about Farmar starting but Harris is a bit of a combo guard so it could be possible. At this rate Jersey have very little to lose they might try that out. As for Barnes, I doubt we'll be able to afford him and I'm only just getting over my dislike for Bell. Might be a little too soon with Barnes. :lol:

raja bell would be a perfect fit for the lakers system, defensive oriented guy but more importantly can slot right in on offense as he can hit the 3 reasonably consistently... he'd come pretty cheap too i would have thought

tmac, not so sure hed fit in with lakers because he doesnt have a defensive mindset but then again glen rice fit in OK when he played with shaq and kobe, he looked uncomfortable and uneasy though during his tenure in lakerland

blake is a brilliant pickup, your typical nba journeyman that seems to add value to any team he is on... he also can hit the 3 quite well

lakers tend to recruit pretty well most offseasons and this is no different, its just a small tweak this year

Back
Top Bottom