Official ESP 2016 NRL Traders Thread (Sell Sheet Page 14)

putting it simply Rob, Esp are the new Dynamic Marketing, there cards are not worth s h i t. they are worth half of what you pay for them in 3 months.
Select are the new scanlens and that quote comes from another big collector also on this forum as we have been saying for the last 3 years.

If you read what I wrote - Half of the cards I referenced were Select cards....
- Carry on.....

And the fish makes its appearance!
image.jpg

That is woeful!

I think a good reason why the discrepancy between high end signature card values vs release numbers comes down to series one vs series two. I haven't gone back to properly analysis across all releases over the past 16 years but that's what initially strikes me reading the last few pages.

By the time collectors, fizzing for series one after a quiet off season, spend up large putting together series one (2013-2015 Traders), they have lost the enthusiasm and probably bank balance (thanks to a massive set) two attempt series two (2013 -2015 Elite) despite series two being a superior product. Therefore the demand for series two drops (how bad was 2015 Elite??!!) and this impacts values.....2013 Traders YG's /220 approx go for more than 2013 Elite LS /130, 2014 Traders Sims Triple Sig /300 go for more than 2014 Elite LS/130 etc.

2000 All Stars was the one and only release in its year, so the signatures hold good value, as do 2011 Star Sigs /600 albeit Strike came later that year.

Other factors are in play too, as pointed out, a lot of 2012 Limited and Traders cases sit collecting dust, so the Sims/300 may only have 200 floating around. Of those maybe only 175 are in decent collection the rest mishandled by kids buying packets from their local newsagents. 2014 Elite on the other hand sold out and cases are probably 95%+ busted.

This above theory doesn't entirely hold true but some of this can be put down to Select signatures holding way much higher value than ESP who everyone knows has really flooded the market and made collecting a mission these days. To think it would cost me 4x Warrior mojo sets /40 for a 2004 Captains signature /40 is madness.

Last edited:
It's his signature - as long as he's happy with it I guess?

Can't imagine he sits around coming up with different sigs in case people don't like the one he has...

The difference in price in my honest opinion comes down to the change in collector habits over the years.

Due to the large number of cards produced every year people have changed from Master set collectors to team set collectors so there are fewer people chasing certain cards.
Look at 2000 Select the entire series had 192 cards (including Promos) so doing a Master Set while a bit pricey for 10 signatures is manageable and fits easily into one folder it was also the only card set for the year. The new Traders about to be released has I think over 700 cards with most likely Elite later this year. Not many people will be going for a Master Set so they will only be chasing the signature for their team decreasing the demand. Select did make bigger releases and more over time but just a had quick look at 2011 sets there was under 800 for the 2 sets so that is less than 100 more than the single Traders release. If there is no Elite this year you may see prices stay high as to feed peoples collecting addictions with no Elite they may decide on a Master Set for Traders.

The difference in price in my honest opinion comes down to the change in collector habits over the years.

Due to the large number of cards produced every year people have changed from Master set collectors to team set collectors so there are fewer people chasing certain cards.
Look at 2000 Select the entire series had 192 cards (including Promos) so doing a Master Set while a bit pricey for 10 signatures is manageable and fits easily into one folder it was also the only card set for the year. The new Traders about to be released has I think over 700 cards with most likely Elite later this year. Not many people will be going for a Master Set so they will only be chasing the signature for their team decreasing the demand. Select did make bigger releases and more over time but just a had quick look at 2011 sets there was under 800 for the 2 sets so that is less than 100 more than the single Traders release. If there is no Elite this year you may see prices stay high as to feed peoples collecting addictions with no Elite they may decide on a Master Set for Traders.

100% agree with you..... when you think about it, 700 cards is a huge amount for anyone to collect.

Elite will be happening, heard its being put together at the moment.

100% agree with you..... when you think about it, 700 cards is a huge amount for anyone to collect.
Yep and if the SAS cards are 1/case then with 18 cards it is a insane outlay to try and bust them yourself. No wonder so many people are looking at the secondary market and nearly everyone is selectively collecting from series.

Call me desperate...

Sorry mate, I wasn't having a go at you.

I just am less and less impressed with the sports industry as a whole with their scribbles.

Not just Croker...I have full Souths jerseys I have no idea who the players are.

And when they get paid to sig on cards, at least should make it a "nice" one.

Sorry mate, I wasn't having a go at you.

I just am less and less impressed with the sports industry as a whole with their scribbles.

Not just Croker...I have full Souths jerseys I have no idea who the players are.

And when they get paid to sig on cards, at least should make it a "nice" one.

I know mate and I certainly didn't take it that way. It is a terrible signature, I was just making light of the situation.

I wonder how much the 'sig pig' situation has got to do with the poorer quality of signatures these days?

Back
Top Bottom