NRL Rumour Mill Thread (Spoilers/Game Results)

Status
Not open for further replies.
We tried Williams it didn't work.........he guides teams around OK but seemed to be a bit of a speed bump in defence, I think he and Sezer may be a more viable long term option for the Raiders

He was a young fella in a new team - You guys didn't try him that much I reckon....
Would have been lucky to get half a dozen game wouldn't he?
I've always thought he had a bit of something.

Thurston been in the NRL for 12+ years and is still a speed bump in defence.

I agree Austin has been a bit quiet but was looking good until injured last night. Opposition teams certainly seem more aware of the over-exaggerated dummy and big left step but in saying that his passing and kicking is improving and he has excellent support play. He is 24 I think so still young and as a 5/8 (98kg & 187cm) is on the bigger side, runs hard and often wins that first collision.

Wighton is really starting to find his feet as a number 1, this will help Austin also.

I like Williams also but he is inconsistent. Dragons had him once and burnt him so I would be surprised if he went back. Sezer seems more consistent and will really step up when the game is on the line, something Austin & Williams have struggled with this year.
In my very biased opinion the future looks bright. Whitehead looks to be a good but from the ESL, maybe just a prop to replace Shillo and we are looking good. Vaughan and Boyd are beasts.

Did anyone else think Wighton getting charged was BS? Legal tackle, Soward falling, what are we playing, badminton?

Last edited:
I could see Austin in a similar role to Wade Graham being a ball playing 2nd rower and then have Williams and Sezer as the halves

On current overall form you would have to go Graham however it would really depend on the makeup of your team.

Canberra have backrowers to spare;

Papalii, Soliola, Kennedy, Fensom, Bateman, Barnett, Whitehead (next year). Tevita Pangai Jnr probably isn't too far off FG either

Yep so no room for Austin in the back row, Hodgson should play 80 next year......so do you carry a utility of the bench?

Tough call. Baptiste is a great bench hooker but is wasted if Hodgson plays 80. This is where a Tevita Pangai would be a good bench utility but I don't think he is FG ready yet.

Tough call in the backline also. Rapana, Lee or Waqa to miss out. Probably be Rapana but I like his toughness

Austin isn't big enough (Or tough enough) for back rower...
Not a good enough defender for back row or centre either....
3 Years is a long time....

Austin isn't big enough (Or tough enough) for back rower...
Not a good enough defender for back row or centre either....
3 Years is a long time....

Agreed. I think that he will continue improve but I am a diehard, eternally optimistic Raiders fan! I just see a guy who has finally had a decent crack at FG and gone quite well. If he improves the areas he needs to and the team around him is stronger then I can't see him going backwards. He seems settled, happy, trains hard but long term contracts are dangerous, look at Campo

The Warriors are now fielding just four players from their optimal starting side at the beginning of the season. It is not helping that players are getting long suspensions for good rugby league tackles (Matulino) on top of the injuries.

As a fan I'm really struggling to decipher what is a shoulder charge and what isn't these days.

Can't believe Wighton copped a week. I am surprised Canberra didn't fight it. The NRL is getting softer and softer. I am all for punishing illegal and dangerous tackles and getting them out of the game but this was neither.

I don’t know who is more stupid, the NRL for charging Wighton or the Raiders for not fighting it.

771736-b82d85d6-4fcd-11e5-bb8e-56aa84f91c7e.jpg

He mate contact with the head, and put a guy in hospital...
Weather he meant to or not, That is what happened!!

I've seen a lot less intentional contact made get much more time out....

He mate contact with the head, and put a guy in hospital...
Weather he meant to or not, That is what happened!!

I've seen a lot less intentional contact made get much more time out....

Have to agree.......he made contact to his head hence the charge.

It wasn't a shoulder charge per se, just a good hit gone wrong hitting him in the head.

Short or Falling doesn't make the hit to the noggin OK...
That's like hitting a guys legs when he's in the air, And claiming that he's at fault because he jumped...
Raiders were lucky to get away with not being penalised.

NRL has just gone soft.

Id much prefer to see players get sidelined for the rubbing/pushing of players heads into the ground intentionally after almost every tackle rather than wightons tackle

Or spinning them around on the ground (The latest fad to slow the PTB)

Short or Falling doesn't make the hit to the noggin OK...
That's like hitting a guys legs when he's in the air, And claiming that he's at fault because he jumped...
Raiders were lucky to get away with not being penalised.

I take your point but I feel Wighton is hard done by because he does nothing wrong except stop a potential try. Everyone knows not to attack the legs in the air or as a third man in. In this case I don't really see contact direct to the head, upper chest and the Impact jarring his head back is what causes the injury. The injury doesn't and shouldn't come into the suspension unless it is an act done with intent. If 6 officials deliberated for 5 minutes the other night and couldn't see it I don't know how the MRC can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom