New York, New York! dat dat, da dadda.... (pic heavy)

The Truth

Banned User
Real Name
Brad
Just a small sample of pics from my big day out at the Big Apple. I went to check out 5th Avenue initially on the afternoon of arrival. Awesome! the streets are very packed with people, Manhatten island is bigger than I expected, Central Park is huuuuge too. I got to sample one corner of it which was pretty cool. Nice scenery there when the leaves are falling. There were horse's with buggy's everywhere on that corner, a ride through central park would have been nice on one, but I just didn't have the time for it. Would be a good way to see the whole park there. You would definitely need a few days on Manhatten to see all the good sites.
I got up early to check out the Statue of Liberty, if you go yourself, make sure you get the early "Time Pass" slot if you intend to climb the base of the statue and line up from about 7:30 in the am. After I got back, the line-up for a ferry over was huuuuuge. It's like that every day there apparently, well over 100 meters long. I can give specifics on anything like that if anyone would like more details.
Was freezing sitting on top of the ferry over, my hands went numb because I was taking pics lol, I think it was about 5 or 6 degrees that morning. The climb in the base was pretty cool, there's lots to see inside about the building of the entire structure too. About 270 odd stairs later, I was stuffed and wobbly on my legs huffing and checking out the view from the pedestal :D Pretty cool! It really hasn't sunk in, any of the trip, so far. Especially the part of walking the streets surrounding the 9/11 site.
I could go on and on and on about it all, but I don't want to bore anyone. Here's some pics!

Horses at Central Park.......... (all park pics are lower right corner of the park, near the big name stores and Trump Tower etc)
aNYC029.jpg

....Moore Bust in the park (who is this? lol someone important)
aNYC032.jpg

"The Pond" Central Park.
aNYC033.jpg

Typical site from in Central Park.
aNYC036.jpg

One of my fav pics, love how it turned out. Sunrise, you can see the moon still and it has weird lighting. This is the Hudson, where the Statue Ferry departs from at Battery Park (lower Manhatten) Looking across at Jersey. Very cool pic I think, with the gulls in there too. I love how the foreground is in shadow and the buildings are lit by the sun. It appears as if the moon is lighting the background.
aLIBNY007.jpg

Approaching the green lady.....
aLIBNY026.jpg

Tried to get a look up her dress, but unsuccessful from this angle....
aLIBNY050.jpg

Miss Liberty from behind, ovrlooking the gift shop, security tent and some of the National Park grounds on the island. Note the shadowing.....
aLIBNY060.jpg

Manhatten Island.....
aLIBNY071.jpg

I was previously standing all the way up there on the ledge at the base of the statue. Above the big triple window openings there.
aLIBNY075.jpg

"The Sphere" which previously stood in the World Trade Center Plaza, was conceived as a symbol of Peace. It was damaged "during the events of September 11" (makes you wonder with that wording, lol) and now stands in Battery Park as an icon of hope and the indestructable spirit of America. The eternal flame ahead of it burns in honor of all that were lost. "their spirit and sacrifice will never be forgotten" ????? (again, makes you wonder, but we'll save that for another day).
aLIBNY084.jpg

Ground Zero from the high side.
aLIBNY095.jpg

Nice work Brad....the Moon photo and the appraoch to the statue are almost screen saver pics!!

Nice work!!

I was gonna ask about the NBA Store as well :drool: I love the shots of Lady Liberty, your fantastic voyage is unreal Brad. Central Park is enormous hey?!

How could I forget to mention that! lol. Of course, first thing I looked for when I headed outside :lol:
I swear I mentioned it somewhere? Maybe the Boston thread. I picked myself up some NBA player type socks for $10 and a nice climacool type Celtics t-shirt for $25. Also has anti-bacterial stuff in the material or something, they had me sold lol.
That place is pretty huge, all sorts of good gear in there too. They also have a smaller NHL store not far away which I found on the second day. The OC Custom Chopper is in there too on display that was built in the NHL theme. Pretty cool!
Thanks for the comments. Anything else you guy want to know? Ask away.
The cabbies, rather reckless, I had to sit back and laugh at some of those moves and driving styles lol.
Yeah Travis, I only sampled one corner of the park and didn't want to get lost in there for the night. I also would have gone out that night and taken some night pics, but I was just way too tired from minimal sleep and excess traveling the few days before hand, I also had to get up early for the Liberty Tour. Definitely recommend at least 3 full days for NY.
(Saw Harlem on the way in on the Greyhound too)

Yeah, there's a circular staircase through the centre of the statue itself, they have a plexiglass roof so you can see it inside, but not allowed in there. I went as high as people were able to go, only after another security check though. They are stricter than an airport for it.
You're only in awe at my quality photo's Scotty ;) :lol:

Mate that's great! I spent a month living there and could of gone on, and on, and on.... I recommend 6 months to see new york :lol:

What area were you living in there? I could definitely live there for a month!

We rented a place on W 86th, far enough out to be cheaper (by ny standards) but not dodgy - and only a 10 min subway ride to the middle of the city. Very nice.

Took in 3 NY games and one NJ and met gilbert at the NBA store ;) Was gonna see walt frazier too but he cancelled his signing :(

Back
Top Bottom