West Indies

ozsportscardcollector

OzCardTrader
Real Name
Damien
Seeing Joseph hit the top of off stump and then take off with unbridled joy was one of the best moments I've seen in cricket in a very long time.

I grew up watching the West Indies absolutely demolish Australia in the early 80's. I sat at the MCG next to kids with red hair and freckles wearing West Indies one day shirts. Kids like winners.

When we finally won a series in the West Indies in the early 90's it was like Mount Everest had been climbed. Back then winning over there was the ultimate test.

I really hope this wasn't just a one off and that the Windies can bounce back. What Joseph did yesterday, with a broken toe no less, is something you may never see again. Unreal.

Finally, it would be great if TLA made some highlight cards in Cricket as they do in NRL. The Joseph wicket and celebration deserves a card.

View: https://youtu.be/nfDwSXF6_fg?si=9CY2imEDAoWx5O16

Last edited:
I
Such a likeable team the Windies are, where as the Australian team is NOT likeable. That is why I was cheering when the Windies won. Was fantastic to see.
I always cheer the underdog but given the demise of the West Indies from what they once were it made it all the more special.

As to the other point. The team from the late 1980's until Warne's retirement in 2007 was both respected and fairly well liked. The teams before and, especially after, have not been. Thank goodness Warner is gone. NSW seems to throw up the most disliked. People loved Boony (Tasmania) Merv Hughes (Victoria) Darren Lehmann( SA) Shane Warne ( Victoria) Craig McDermott (QLD) Andrew Simonds ( QLD RIP). I think Jeff Thompson was the last really likeable player from NSW.

Now I'm on a roll and ribbing folks I'll say that our most disliked squads were probably always more likeable than any of England's - especially the one they have now with that hypocrite and whiner Stokes - part Kiwi so that might be a contributing factor 😀

I made the last comments with the knowledge that probably more than half the people on here are either from NSW or have NZ heritage.... or both!

All in good fun hey.

Last edited:
Such a likeable team the Windies are, where as the Australian team is NOT likeable. That is why I was cheering when the Windies won. Was fantastic to see.

Totally agree...... I do like Starc/Hazlewood and Lyon but outside of that none of them really seem that likeable.

I sound like an old man yelling at a cloud but I loved watching the Waugh Brothers, AB, Tubby, Boony, Deano, Heals, Boof, Punter, Haydos, Symonds, Gilly and then the bowlers big Merv, McGrath etc and then Warney who was one of the all time greats (thought he was a bit of a knob at times - but I wouldn't knock back having a beer with him!).

They had character and toughness but also seemed to have a bit of fun!

These days it seems like CA has gone down the virtue signaling path and they have their man as captain to push a lot of this stuff..... I love test cricket but am not a great fan of the team we have now.

The Windies were sensational and its great to see them have some success (even though was sick of their success in the 80's and 90's) haha

I'm not surprised. They've always had a good following here. People remember how truly great they were back in the day( also popular in the dressing room).

When their bowlers were on their game and fired up our batsmen looked like rabbits in the headlights.

We had some great bowlers in Lillee and Thompson but they had a ferocious bowling attack and a batting line-up to match it. It's really sad how much they've dropped off in the last 25 years. Hopefully this test match gives cricket a boost over there.

Magnificent stuff, I love test cricket!

Any victory of a team outside the big three beating them is something to savour, given the challenges that the others face.

Meanwhile what looked like a fun summer here in NZ sees a South African test team arriving devoid of 1st and in some cases 2nd string players. Instead of competing for the test championship SA cricket has "chosen" to prioritise the IPL owned South African domestic t20 comp...

A familiar scenario for the West Indies, but this is what the other test playing nations are now facing in addition to very sporadic test match opportunities.

It has been 20 years since Australia played a 3 match test series in NZ, and I'm not sure it will ever happen again. Williamson and Boult have played less than 10 tests against Australia in their storied careers. Boult has played Australia twice in NZ in a 317 wicket career. Throw us a bone Aussie, we're your closest mates!!!

Last edited:
I'm miffed we haven't done a full blooded tour of NZ or vice versa for what seems a while now. And if it was recently then it's still far too infrequently. It seems a no brainer given the history and proximity.

NZ always throws up a decent Test squad despite the limited resources and the rivalry will be there no matter what the circumstances.

Who doesn't like a good old upset ?
I agree with Dan, more wins over the Big 3 the better.
I champion the underdog, have a keen interest in Associate cricket.
As part of the Test Championship I would like to see each of the nine
teams play one of the three teams not involved. That's one extra test
per two years and three each for Ireland, Zimbabwe and Afghanistan.
Have points on them both ways and the other three play each other in two
test series. Total of seven tests over two years with meaning.
But all this doesn't look good on the balance sheet.
Plus my desire to see a number of the leading associates gain full status
in the near future would cause problems to my master plan.

Love to see the ICC establish a fund to allow players like Joseph to ignore the big money and focus on test cricket.
Sounds great in principle but very hard to implement I imagine. I think Joseph should be able to cash in - especially when you learn where he's come from. There's just too much 20/20 atm. Perhaps they can bring in a rule where if you are selected for your country you must honour that and your T20 team just has to wear it and pick up the tab. The Indian Premier League and Cricket India is rolling in cash. They generate 90% of world cricket revenue.

Last edited:
Which is why they take the largest chunk back

359755.3 copy.jpg

(this proposal was approved with some minor adjustments)

The problem with this rationale of course is that some of these markets have a snowballs chance in hell of ever developing the broadcast landscape that India has. Disney Star paid $3 billion dollars for a 4 year broadcast deal, while Sky in the UK paid a fraction of that for an 8 year deal. IPL rights are the second most lucrative after the ICC.

India is the 800 pound gorilla that has the rest of the world over a barrel, but its hard to argue against them when they pump so much money into cricket.

If anyone should be kicking up its England, who apparently contribute about 12% to ICC revenue, compared to Australia's 6%, yet they get a comparatively similar split

The only way we strengthen smaller cricket playing nations like the West Indies, and therefore the game as a whole, is for countries such as Australia committing to play both home and away series against these countries within each four year cycle.

My understanding is that Australia hasn't played tests in the West Indies since 2015 - that is absolutely inexcusable.

The only way we strengthen smaller cricket playing nations like the West Indies, and therefore the game as a whole, is for countries such as Australia committing to play both home and away series against these countries within each four year cycle.

My understanding is that Australia hasn't played tests in the West Indies since 2015 - that is absolutely inexcusable.
100%, and I hoped that is what would have eventuated from the test championship.

When looking at individual achievements, someone like Kane Williamson who started 2 years ahead of Joe Root has played 40 less tests. Steve Smith even with his ban has played 10 more having started around the same time.

Imagine Brian Lara today with only half the opportunities he had during his time. His 375 & 400 came in the second half of his career. Maybe he would have skipped tests and gone the way of the cash.

South Africa has only played about 20 tests in the last 4 years. They should be one of the absolute powerhouses of world cricket. In that time England have played 35+

It has been NZ's golden age in the last 10 years, which has been something to savour for us Kiwis as there will probably be a long time between drinks. During that 10 years NZ has had only 5 series that have been more than 2 matches (all of those 5 have been 3 test series) and only one has been at home!!

I get that the 3 big guns generate the cash, and therefore the opportunity, but there is a big danger of them not having any one decent to play if the others are not looked after. If not for a great performance by the Windies, this home summer could have been a real damp squib for Australia, which turns fans off.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom