interesting artical on card screwdown holders

andrew3134

GOTTA GO HARD IN DA PAINT
eBay User
andrew3134
this is a very interesting artical on card screwdown holders that EVERYBODY should read (got it from the Beckett mag). If this happened to me with that card i would be quite pissed ( and that is putting it mildly).

screwdown artical.jpg

I know all about this. A few years back, I had a card sent to me in one of these screw downs which was not recessed, so the card was practically squeezed between 2 pieces of plastic. When I unscrewed it, some of the treatment started to come off and the auto also started to come off.

I was pissed. I now only use recessed holders. I throw the rest away.

Lucky it was not a very high end card. It was a Shawn Kemp auto.

Ersk

Ersk said:
Lucky it was not a very high end card. It was a Shawn Kemp auto.

Ersk

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Man.. I'm gonna check my cards now and throw away my screw downs. But come to think of it.. any material placed on the surface of cards would ruin it after a bazillion years. Now I remember!!! I used to remove my cards from their sleeves once every 2 months. :cool:

yep very good advice for anyone who uses screwdowns. i used to keep all my best cards in screwdowns (when my best card was like under $40bv) and my Peja jersey was destroyed cos i kept it in there for about a year.

i read somewhere that a good method is to just unscrew the screws (thereby releasing the pressure) but dont actually pull the 2 halves apart. after a week or so try and pull them apart and they wont stick to the card. voila! no damage.

i have some that arent in recessed holders ..meaning that the corners are holding the most of the card...and ive now got a screwdriver in my hand and about to ditch em#-o

*looks down at Barry Bonds /# card*

eerrr how ya doin Barry... (so glad i removed Isaiah Rider Auto before any damage was done...)

It all depends on the climate you keep your cards in. I've previously had auto cards in these holders for years, probably 10+ and no damage. All are out now as they are no longer the best to use for protection. A hot tip for anyone.

Use a container of damp rid in any room you are keeping cards in. You will be amazed how much water this pulls from the air. I've been doing this for over a decade. Its only cheap and available at most supermarkets.

And if you are using these holders still at least use a penny sleeve and don't do them up too tight. There is no damaged caused from experiance. My Bird sat in one for 12 years and got BGS subgrades of 9's and 9.5s.

Back
Top Bottom