1 x box of UD Hockey 2021/22 S2

ozsportscardcollector

OzCardTrader
Real Name
Damien
Had a package turn up this morning and assumed it was one of two comc packages that are in transit. Nope it was a box sent from Cherry with one of those break cards on it with my name. I'm guessing they threw this into a Slapperz break or something - or maybe felt sorry for me( yeah right) who knows.

It was a pleasant surprise. I have now broken two cases worth of this release and I've still got a full case which I'm not opening for a few years - hopefully when one of these guys goes berzerk.

Box had a 'hit' I ve never pulled before. Unfortunately it was a terrible name but the lowest numbered Fluorensce insert I've pulled is the Gold/149 which are multiple case hits. This one is out of /15. If it had been one the 4 good names it would have been real nice. They introduced non-numbered Fluorenscence in 2020-21 and those only fall two per case if not one per case.

Stoked with the Knight canvas YG as I do not have that card and it makes putting the canvas YG set together a little easier. The jersey card was also good even though it's worth $1 as I'm putting that set together as well. This might be the set that I try and do as much as I can with. Right shut up.

13BD1495-758D-44E4-B60C-A9BAEA432C8F.jpeg

65145C97-F5C4-46ED-8EC2-614E1B0F3610.jpeg

The good thing about most of the inserts in this box is that I can know unlock the dupes on epack. I still have 700 physical cards sitting there including most of the insert sets of this release. It will cost $0.25 USD per card to ship them home so now there's another 8 I don't have to ship back. I can unlock them and trade them for cards I need. Bonus.

Good break.

Those pricks sent me the wrong box for an order on Boxing day. Gotta go in and swap it over
Hate that. Happened to me Christmas before - sent me two retail boxes instead of hobby boxes. Not living in Melbourne had to package them back up and send them to Cherry. To their credit they immediately sent the correct boxes plus a few SP blasters for the mistake. Thankfully hasn't happened since. I think Josh is the guy in despatch. Very pleasant to deal with.

Hopefully they give you a little sweetener.

If I win big this weekend I'm going to get a box of Draft - either 2022 or 2023. I haven't opened a Bowman Draft box since 2019 when the 3 auto boxes went for $320 AUD. That product is marinating very well. I didn't think much of it at the time as a catcher was the headliner( Rutschmann) but he's lived up to the hype, but Henderson and Caroll have exceeded expectations in a major way. Riley Greene was the consensus second pick in that crop and he's still got time but Caroll and Henderson have done 6X or more since release. I had a Carol numbered refractor which I stupidly sold ages ago. Also sold 2 Rutschmann refractors and a Henderson refractor. Never hit any good autos sadly. Best was a Blue refractor auto /150 of Kyren Paris who is still languishing in the minors

If you had loaded up on this product at release you would be sitting on a veritable gold mine. I think Henderson will pop this year. Hit 28 homers in his rookie season and has more upside than Carol imo. Holliday could take away some hobby love but I think Henderson is the guy from that draft class.

Mmmm. Sadly true, and getting more brutal every year. It shows how much the hobby has grown though( or how much breaking has had an effect on prices). This product is now 3X the cost of what it was just 4 years ago. So it's 3X more expensive but it has been heavily diluted with not just extra parallels but more autographs - especially the dreaded insert autos which are worthless compared to a 1stBowman auto.

There is a tipping point though. Hockey has reached it. All hockey releases in the last 2.5 years have dropped in value since release. Every single one - and it has little to do with the rookie crop. It's to do with dilution/overprinting.

I had a little repartee with my favourite breaker 2 nights ago. He suggested that hockey could do with more products because it had far fewer than the other sports. I pointed out that there are already way too many hockey releases in relation to the size of the hockey hobby but he was having none of it. He's an intelligent man and he knows it makes sense but he was repping Cherry, Upper Deck, and the hobby in general. Our very own little Geoff Wilson, lol

I digress but I suspect he ( Blake) may go a fair way in this hobby. I'm sure he gets paid very well as it is and being able to run breaks well could be a ticket to bigger and better things. Not sure what they get paid( really digressing here, lol) but I'm guessing it's not less than 150K.

Cherry Collectables has been a licence to print money over the last 5 years and that's not going to change anytime soon. I'm expecting a little bump in the foreseeable future - unless Trump wins, China invades Taiwan, the stockmarket crumbles and conscription is initiated in little old Oz.

Time for my meds. :)

Last edited:
Less? Much less? I'm guessing Grayson has the senior staff on a salary as paying them hourly would be very expensive given how many hours they seem to put in. If he has them on less than 100K working 50+ hour weeks that's a shocker imo. Just guessing at the hours, and that they are paid a salary rather than wages, but it does not not strike me as a 38 hour week kind of gig.

Add in the unsociable hours and I'd want not a penny less than 150K if I'm pumping out 50 hour weeks.

Less? Much less? I'm guessing Grayson has the senior staff on a salary as paying them hourly would be very expensive given how many hours they seem to put in. If he has them on less than 100K working 50+ hour weeks that's a shocker imo. Just guessing at the hours, and that they are paid a salary rather than wages, but it does not not strike me as a 38 hour week kind of gig.

Add in the unsociable hours and I'd want not a penny less than 150K if I'm pumping out 50 hour weeks.

Hard to say, but I'd assume lower with % bonuses for breaks completed etc.

They'd have targets to hit

Back
Top Bottom