Blues Sack Lance Whitnall

AndrewG23

OzCardTrader
Real Name
Andrew
eBay User
andyg2350
Blues confirm Whitnall's departure

Carlton chief executive Greg Swann has confirmed captain Lance Whitnall had played his last game for the AFL club.

Swann said a medical report convinced the Blues the 28-year-old Whitnall's troublesome knee would not stand up to another AFL season.

"What we've said is we think that his capacity to play is limited because of his knee," Swann told Southern Cross Radio.

"Lance is not convinced about that."

Swann said the Blues were not prepared to nurse Whitnall, who had post-season knee surgery, through a "compromised" pre-season campaign.

"In this day and age you have to be a hundred per cent to be able to do everything or otherwise you just get left behind," Swann said.

Swann said new coach Brett Ratten and football manager Stephen Icke met Whitnall on Friday to "run through a few scenarios", which could include retirement, continuing his career via the pre-season draft or taking up an off-field role at Carlton.

"Lance is going away and have a bit of a think about it. He may well decide that he can keep on going and, you know, chase a career elsewhere or he might retire," Swann said.

"There's some options still to remain at the club in a different capacity."

Knee problems, which Whitnall's agent Ricky Nixon described as a "bone-on-bone" issue, restricted him to just 15 games this year.

But Nixon did not think his client's knee condition was career-ending.

"Everyone's known that Lance has had bone-on-bone for probably four of five years," Nixon told Southern Cross Radio.

"But a lot of players play with it. (St Kilda's) Nick Riewoldt has had bone-on-bone since year one in the AFL. Some people are able to cope with it, some have it worse et cetera.

"It is a very, very disappointing decision.

"At the moment he's got to face up to the reality (that) he probably won't be at Carlton."

He also blasted Carlton for leaving it until after the trade period before showing Whitnall the door and blaming it on his knee, potentially compromising his chances in the pre-season draft.

"Carlton have prejudiced that now haven't they by coming out and saying that he's got a medical condition that doesn't allow him to train or play. Who's going to buy the used car? Anyone?" Nixon said.

"They (Carlton) are still the best leakers in the AFL aren't they, so they've got a bit of improvement in that area to do."

Whitnall, who was made skipper this year, has racked up 216 games and 348 goals for the Blues since his debut in 1997.

He won Carlton's best-and-fairest award last year and was also an All-Australian in 2000.

thats just about the end of him i would think?

another good move by the blues... he definitely needed to go for the team to be able to move forward i think... definitely now going in the right direction as a club... using the geelong st kilda hawthorn model by rebuilding thru the draft... his form has been declining because he hasnt been able to get consistent time on the ground. this is all a result of him being undisciplined away from footy and not staying in shape as a professional athlete. disappointing but he only has himself to blame imo... just my 2c

Does anyone think he'll play for another club next season?

Nope. Too old. Too useless. He couldn;t get a game last season as a Captain of 1 of the bottom teams...
Richmond and the Bulldogs, both in need of a big Forward, have already said they have no interest.

Nope. Too old. Too useless. He couldn;t get a game last season as a Captain of 1 of the bottom teams...
Richmond and the Bulldogs, both in need of a big Forward, have already said they have no interest.

He's only 28...too useless yes, but not too old :lol:

His knee is shot, bone on bone. I don't think anyone will pick him up.

It's been like that for the last 5 seasons. He still managed 15 games this yr, with a couple of stand out games. I'm sure one club could use him on their list...

Well Lance finally leaves Optus Oval.

Lance is the perfect example of the opposite of the modern day footballers; his athletic ability was well below his football brain (one of the best in the AFL IMO) and its finally caught up with him.

No club in its right mind would pick him up to play as the key target in a forward line; maybe as a 3rd tall forward sitting in the pocket.

If I was him I'd try and key up a Assistant coach job somewhere; he has a great football mind and would be an asset to any club in a developmental role...

Apparently there are afew teams interested in him. Cheap pickup if he can find some sort of form for the minimum payment.

Back
Top Bottom