2016 AFL Season Discussion

I thought the game was over at this moment lol. Dogs just got 2 goals instantly and hit the lead.

Hopefully nothing serious with Murphy... it was a real nailbiter of a game!
Yes but it's not looking good though :(

Can't believe how we went! Thought when you got a 4 goal lead in the second you would just keep going.

Shame when stringer took that mark in the 2nd or 3rd quarter and tried to kick it to I think suckling and he over powered it and it hit the post :(

Hartung missed a shocker too I'm pretty sure.

Sicily is going to be and is already the future of your club

Dogs vs Hawks, wow, what a game! People wanted an epic game and they got one, but are still complaining. Umpires did this, dogs deserved to win blah blah. Can never please people who suffer from tall poppy syndrome. Great game and fight back from the Hawks. Sicily has arrived! Just hope Bob Murphy is OK after being helped from the ground with only 1 minute on the clock, looked like a knee injury of some sort, fingers crossed for him.

REALLY, did you watch the first quarter ? This game was all over when Suckling got done for deliberate out of bounds, what could he have done different ? 15 odd minutes in the first quarter I turned to the hawthorn supporter behind me & said and I quote " CONGRATULATIONS ON THE WIN "

I have been saying for the better part of 4 + months that fourthorn were the team to beat, after this afternoons performance they have got no hope of winning a 4th.

If you are an honest observer of the game, by this I mean not 1 eyed. You KNOW Hawthorn got gifted 4 goals in the 1st quarter, which begs the question; How much did they win by ?

The Bulldogs came to play the BEST & when all is said & done if you are honest THEY BEAT THE SUPPOSED BEST !!!!

If LARS surgery is a option for Bob Murphy he should seriously consider it. That's if he has done his Knee. I think Nick Malceski returned to playing after 16 weeks after he had LARS surgery.

REALLY, did you watch the first quarter ? This game was all over when Suckling got done for deliberate out of bounds, what could he have done different ? 15 odd minutes in the first quarter I turned to the hawthorn supporter behind me & said and I quote " CONGRATULATIONS ON THE WIN "

I have been saying for the better part of 4 + months that fourthorn were the team to beat, after this afternoons performance they have got no hope of winning a 4th.

If you are an honest observer of the game, by this I mean not 1 eyed. You KNOW Hawthorn got gifted 4 goals in the 1st quarter, which begs the question; How much did they win by ?

The Bulldogs came to play the BEST & when all is said & done if you are honest THEY BEAT THE SUPPOSED BEST !!!!

Very bitter supporter mate. Goals were gifted both ways, and bad umpiring decisions both ways. And conceding the game after the first quarter doesn't say much about the type of supporter you are. Not saying Hawks will win a 4th premiership, but just remember we got written off last year too based on travelling to Perth twice n finals after finishing 3rd. It's a long season and only round 3. Chin up mate :thumbsup:

I'm not disappointed or angry at the team I'm just worried for murphy!
But no offense if we lose to Carlton or Brisbane and don't show up. I won't Be to happy

I followed the first quarter and a bit via score update only as I was doing a couple of other things and I thought "geez, we (Hawthorn) are going to burst the Bulldogs bubble quite convincingly here". I watched the remainder of the game and my goodness those young pups are bloody quick!!

It just shows how quick, effective handball can cut through even the most experienced of teams. @thePACisback this is why Richmond have given Hawthorn trouble so often - when they move it quickly, our blokes can't keep up. I think this is why so many experts favoured the Bulldogs this week - under the roof, they are electric. I think my boys are sort-of kind-of hanging in there: the good first quarters against West Coast and the Bulldogs are positive, but there's juuust something missing at this point.

Attention will turn this morning to Bob Murphy and his knee scan - I don't do twitter but I reckon #prayforbob is fair enough!

...and speaking of injuries, poor old Aaron Sandilands. Not entirely sure that we needed to see inside the bloody ambulance either, Fox Footy!!

Very bitter supporter mate. Goals were gifted both ways, and bad umpiring decisions both ways. And conceding the game after the first quarter doesn't say much about the type of supporter you are. Not saying Hawks will win a 4th premiership, but just remember we got written off last year too based on travelling to Perth twice n finals after finishing 3rd. It's a long season and only round 3. Chin up mate :thumbsup:

Bitter, you got no idea do you. Several brilliant years & all of a sudden the beer goggles are on. Mate I'm not bitter, quiet the opposite. I happen to be making very good bank on umpire performances in 1st quarters ! Given that if you are honest 97 out 100 times by the end of the 1st quarter IT IS OVER.

But I digress, Name 1 goal, other than the Stringer goal in the last quarter (no one seems to know what that was for ?) that the Bulldogs did not earn ? Just 1, that's all. I have since watched that game again & stand by what I said.

Win, lose or draw I am at the ground most games before the players & I don't leave until they have ! I am not a member of the cheer squad. I live 2 hours out of Melbourne & I haven't missed a game in Melbourne since 2002. Do not question my support for my team, I have been a member in 1 way or another longer than you have probably been alive.

Bitter, you got no idea do you. Several brilliant years & all of a sudden the beer goggles are on. Mate I'm not bitter, quiet the opposite. I happen to be making very good bank on umpire performances in 1st quarters ! Given that if you are honest 97 out 100 times by the end of the 1st quarter IT IS OVER.

But I digress, Name 1 goal, other than the Stringer goal in the last quarter (no one seems to know what that was for ?) that the Bulldogs did not earn ? Just 1, that's all. I have since watched that game again & stand by what I said.

Win, lose or draw I am at the ground most games before the players & I don't leave until they have ! I am not a member of the cheer squad. I live 2 hours out of Melbourne & I haven't missed a game in Melbourne since 2002. Do not question my support for my team, I have been a member in 1 way or another longer than you have probably been alive.

You just seem so angry, take a chill pill. I'm a very humble supporter so no beer googles for me, just say it as I see it. I thought both teams played amazing footy when it was their time to go, Hawks just found a way to win. Not sure how you can say a game is over in the first quarter, I would have thought a Bulldogs supporter would have more faith in the young pups to fight back like they did. Throwing the towel in after the first quarter when you were 2 goals down isn't my idea of the word 'supporter'.

Not exactly sure if it fits in here or not,
But does anybody know when Select's trading card deal with the AFL comes to an end?

@Quiksilver the Suckling decision was beyond very bad, but there weren't any other majorly bad calls other than that. The Suckling call reminded me about Tiges vs Pies last week and the final call there that lost us the game. Some calls are just inexcusable, but most are alright.

You just seem so angry, take a chill pill. I'm a very humble supporter so no beer googles for me, just say it as I see it. I thought both teams played amazing footy when it was their time to go, Hawks just found a way to win. Not sure how you can say a game is over in the first quarter, I would have thought a Bulldogs supporter would have more faith in the young pups to fight back like they did. Throwing the towel in after the first quarter when you were 2 goals down isn't my idea of the word 'supporter'.

First I'm bitter, now I'm angry ? Wow, l mean just wow. I can understand the philosophy from you point of view, having won 3 premierships in a row you can't be beat. You are the best. You are god's of your own making, everyone must bow down. Just so were clear, SARCASM.

Pull your head in, I watch football & I don't care who is playing. I watch because I love the game & I have gradually watched it erode to something that is becoming not enjoyable when you know the outcome to far in advance to care. If you are honest as I said previously, you will know the outcome of the game by the end of the 1st quarter. I base that wholly & solely on the umpires, nothing more nothing less. I have bet on team 5+ goals down at quarter time & made boat loads.

The umpires in that 1st quarter gave Hawthorn just about every free kick they deserved (7). However the Bulldogs for some unknown reason weren't given the same umpiring (1). You can say I am wrong all day, I watched the game live at the ground & then again on t.v. the next day. Once I cleared my head to make sure I watched with an open mind. Oh just out of curiosity in that last minute of the game before the Hawthorn player got a free for head high, how many free kicks were let go ? & which team were they for ?

As for faith in the young pups, as I said earlier. WE CAME TO PLAY THE SUPPOSED BEST.....AND WE BEAT THE BEST. You can have the 4 points, but at the end of the day you will want to bring a new game plan...better team and a whole lot of luck next time. I guarantee you that won't happen twice, you won with a boat load of help & a leprechaun in your pocket. Just find the footage of Alistair Clarkson with 60 seconds to go, HE KNEW. Shame no other Hawthorn supporter paid that much attention.

You are a johnny come lately to this my friend. How many members did hawthorn have in 2007 ? Were you one ? I will go out on a limb & say NO. I have been a member through all the bad times, the merger.....going broke.....getting pissed on by the A.F.L. (1997) & getting told it was rain. You want to compare support ? Really ? You have no idea & you probably won't ever have any idea, because once they stop winning grand finals you will lose interest ! I could go on.........But as you lost interest I will stop.

Just out of curiosity @BLOWN8 are you one of the people that expects Sam Mitchell to be given the brownlow medal when they strip Jobe Watson ?

Forgot Trent Cotchin.

Just out of curiosity @BLOWN8 are you one of the people that expects Sam Mitchell to be given the brownlow medal when they strip Jobe Watson ?

Forgot Trent Cotchin.

Have never forgotten about Cotchin, have always said they both deserve the medal. As for the rest of the conversation, I have so much to say, but we'll leave it at that. I can see your getting worked up so let's drop it.

Have never forgotten about Cotchin, have always said they both deserve the medal. As for the rest of the conversation, I have so much to say, but we'll leave it at that. I can see your getting worked up so let's drop it.

So...just out of curiosity who gets the 64 brownlow votes that have been ruled invalid (if they take the medal all votes for affected players will be null & void)

Or should we not worry about that as well ?

@BLOWN8 Again making out like you know who I am & what I am feeling. Bitter, angry & now worked up. Proved my point though, you have managed to avoid every question asked of you !

I never asked about the tall poppy syndrome, I know the Dogs were on top of the ladder but I don't think anyone is trying to cut us down ! Dogs were 1st on the ladder (now 4th), Hawks were 5-6th before the game (now 9th). Tall poppy would be the higher one wouldn't ?

So here is question you should be able to answer, How many goals were gifted to the Western Bulldogs ? as I said earlier other than the Jake Stringer goal. How Many ?

You are one of those people who sees what they want to see ! You are one of those people who is RIGHT & everyone else is wrong. You are one of those people who, when they are put in a place were they have to actually admit they might be wrong has to question the other persons loyalty, support, integrity........ I probably could go on forever !

All you had to do was answer the questions from an HONEST point of view. You couldn't. Why ? Because you are right ? or because you might be wrong ? & Hawthorn should have lost ? You keep believing that, honest supporters of the game know better !

Just 1 final point. I AM NOT BITTER.......I AM NOT ANGRY............I AM NOT GETTING WORKED UP but for future reference answer the questions if you can, don't avoid them. If your not sure weather or not you are right, watch it again. then you will know ! Don't be ignorant. Show some respect & get over yourself.

As a Hawthorn man, I would hate to see Sam Mitchell or Trent Cotchin or anyone retrospectively win the Brownlow medal in these circumstances (i.e with Jobe Watson's potential ineligibility). I think it is wrong of the AFL to ask Jobe to "present" his case at a commission meeting - the poor bastard is on a hiding to nothing.

Given that a. no positive performance-enhancing tests were returned by any of the "Essendon 34" and b. the AFL's own anti-doping tribunal found the players not guilty, I believe Jobe Watson is entitled to his medal until evidence of an actual doping violation is presented.

That's my two cents worth anyway! :)

PS @Quiksilver: it is common across a lot of sports isn't it, the rub of the green going to teams who are enjoying a successful period? There was a classic example in the EPL a couple of weeks ago where a Leicester player might well have been sent off for hand-ball. As a Hawks man, I sometimes chuckle when supporters discuss our ill-fated 2001 Preliminary Final against Essendon and a raft of umpiring decisions that went against us in the first quarter....people never forget the injustice hey?

Last edited:
As a Hawthorn man, I would hate to see Sam Mitchell or Trent Cotchin or anyone retrospectively win the Brownlow medal in these circumstances (i.e with Jobe Watson's potential ineligibility). I think it is wrong of the AFL to ask Jobe to "present" his case at a commission meeting - the poor bastard is on a hiding to nothing.

Given that a. no positive performance-enhancing tests were returned by any of the "Essendon 34" and b. the AFL's own anti-doping tribunal found the players not guilty, I believe Jobe Watson is entitled to his medal until evidence of an actual doping violation is presented.

That's my two cents worth anyway! :)

I agree 100% he should keep the medal for the exact reasons you have stated. However if they strip him what happens ? Like I said what happens to the 60+ votes ? They would have to recast them wouldn't they ?

Back
Top Bottom