2016 AFL Season Discussion

Matty76

Banned User
Real Name
Matt Gartside
eBay User
matt2009g
Howdy folks (and folkettes)!

I thought that now was as good a time as any - inspired by @Scotty_WCE and his "2015 Reflections and 2016 Hopes" thread - to start a thread about the upcoming AFL season.

To be honest, I won't have much interest in the pre-season competition as it is just so far removed in so many ways from the season proper. I'll just have to make do with these bloody Hawthorn-related game replays on Foxtel :)

What do you expect 2016 to hold for your team? Which team or teams do you think will rise or fall away?

Good stuff Matty, hard to believe we're already halfway through pre-season!

I hope the Eagles can challenge again. I don't see why we can't; we picked up a couple of nice recruits and seem to be having a reasonable run with injuries so far (touch wood).

I think Port Adelaide and possibly Richmond will rise into the top 4, replacing Sydney and Fremantle who will drop into the bottom half of the 8. I also don't think Geelong will rise or Adelaide will fall as far as expected; often big trades don't affect a team's fortunes that much.

All in all I'm really excited for season 2016! Should be a ripping season :)

Well, the Court of Arbitration for Sport has this morning dealt a hammer blow to the Essendon Football Club, finding 34 current and past players guilty of doping offences following the 2012 supplements program.

Half of those players are currently active:
ESSENDON: Tom Bellchambers, Travis Colyer, Dyson Heppell, Michael Hibberd, Heath Hocking, Cale Hooker, Ben Howlett, Michael Hurley, David Myers, Brent Stanton, Tayte Pears and Jobe Watson.
MELBOURNE: Jake Melksham
PORT ADELAIDE: Angus Monfries, Paddy Ryder
ST KILDA: Jake Carlisle
WESTERN BULLDOGS: Stewart Crameri

The players have been suspended for the entirety of the 2016 season. I must admit that I feel as though a part of footy died today. This (to me anyway) isn't your out-and-out cycling or athletics doping offence. It's just...I dunno what it is :-(

PS: I wonder how this will effect Select's plans re: selecting players for their card releases or indeed the digital app. Headaches all over the place on this one hey?

So Jobe Watson to have his Brownlow taken off him and awarded to Trent Cotchin and Sam Mitchell? Has to be done. Select to do a Cotchin and Mitchell medal winner card in the same style as the Watson one and release in this years series 2. Sorry but as a Hawks supporter I hate Essendon and Hird so they have got what was coming to them in my opinion.

Just saw that article. How sport could come to that, I don't know.

But as a Richmond fan, I'd be happy for Cotchin to get a Brownlow if what BLOWN8 said is true. Also, didn't Sam Mitchell get ruled ineligible in 2012?

Just saw that article. How sport could come to that, I don't know.

But as a Richmond fan, I'd be happy for Cotchin to get a Brownlow if what BLOWN8 said is true. Also, didn't Sam Mitchell get ruled ineligible in 2012?

Not in 2012 he wasnt mate, 2011 when he was second to Swan he was ineligible but 2012 was all good.

Brutal result for the EFC. Suppose that's the wooden spoon rapt up then?
Not being a smart Alec but it will be hard seeing them winning many games with a bunch of kids and rookies.
Was it Dank who masterminded the supplement programme? I know the club Dr Bruce Reid didn't agree with it.
Being a Hawk I've never had any love for the EFC but I do Feel sorry for the players. I hope it's not the end for Watson. Brilliant player and pretty good bloke too.

Well, it's started... :) On what is a pretty bloody miserable day for the sport and those who follow it, we must remember to have a laugh every now and then I guess!

12510328_1007803439278966_5562942800299764904_n.jpg

If and I stress IF they strip Jobe Watson of the Brownlow Medal, then no one should have it. He was voted the fairest & best player of the year, Mitchel & Cotchin weren't. Had he been ineligible before the vote no problem, but he was eligible. 2012 Brownlow medal winner was BLANK, they shouldn't give to anyone at all.

I believe what the guy's on 360 said last night, Jobe will hand it in ! He shouldn't have to beg or prove anything to keep it. I agree with the findings. I agree with decision. I don't agree with the punishment, being back dated that is. I shouldn't have been. This will compromise the season by giving 5 teams 8 points before the season starts. It's going to be hard starting 8 points behind.

As a Hawthorn supporter I have a vested interest in the Brownlow Medal issue of course but I am less comfortable with it being handed over to the runners up in this particular situation.

It's not as though Jobe Watson returned a positive A and B sample following an illicit or performance enhancing drug test, whereby the AFL can say "here is actual, 100% proof of your guilt". Nor was he suspended by the AFL for bringing the game into disrepute, or something similar. The AFL's OWN anti-doping panel cleared the Essendon 34 and it was the administration and management of the club who were penalised in 2013. The fact that one of the these penalties (loss of premiership points) directly affected the players is in this case - in my view - beside the point.

However, the issue the AFL now faces is that the highest sporting court in the world has agreed with WADA and ASADA (wonder if al-Qaeda will get a run?!) that the players are guilty of a doping violation. I can't see, ethically, that the AFL have a right to invite Jobe to plead for his medal, let alone allow him to keep it.

As to the issue of Essendon being competitive, I can remember Melbourne under Mark Neeld and Carlton under Mick being horrendously non-competitive, even with most of their "first choice" players available. John Worsfold is a cool, calm character and coming from the West Coast Eagles (albeit a while ago now) he'd be a good man to engender a bit of "us against the world" spirit at Bomberland.

If and I stress IF they strip Jobe Watson of the Brownlow Medal, then no one should have it. He was voted the fairest & best player of the year, Mitchel & Cotchin weren't. Had he been ineligible before the vote no problem, but he was eligible. 2012 Brownlow medal winner was BLANK, they shouldn't give to anyone at all.

I agree Quicksilver, and I am a Richmond man. I wouldn't like to see Cotchin win a brownlow this way, and I reckon he (and Mitchell) would feel the same.

I agree as well, I reckon Jobe may hand his medal back. And walk away from the game.

I'm particularly curious if any delisted players will be seeking legal restitution. Hal Hunter lodged a statement of claim last year so he could see the evidence relating to himself, but oddly enough he's not named as one of the 34.

Currently all the media is focusing on are the 17 current AFL listed players who will miss the next season, but that still leaves the 14 now playing or coaching in the lower leagues - plus Mark McVeigh who's now an assistant at GWS - who are also banned.

Also Port Adelaide could have some legal standing over the Monfries trade, given that was done before this whole saga kicked off.

I don't really have any strong feelings about this results, I feel like this has reached an inevitable conclusion.

There's this narrative being pushed that the punishment is unfair, that the players did no wrong. But ultimately all players are educated on the risks of PEDs and that final responsibility of what goes into their body lies with themselves. People talk about the players putting their faith in the club, but similarly solo athletes put their faith in coaches, trainers and training partners. All athletes have to be held to the same standard otherwise the system has no integrity. It's Jobe's own testimony to WADA about his misgivings regarding the "program", though never questioning it, that ultimately did him in.

As reported:

“The players had all received education in anti-doping,” the panel ruled.

“No player appears to have made use of the WADA hotline or indeed any other hotline. No player asked the club doctor, the obvious first port of call, for advice about Thymosin, although all signed a consent form to its administration.

“The players’ lack of curiosity is fatal to the success of this particular plea.”

However, the panel was comfortably satisfied only TB4, not other variants, would have had the effects Dank had intended.

Hundreds of texts and emails between key players in the drama also indicated Dank, who also runs a private sports science practice, had been using TB4 at the time.

The CAS panel treated evidence from biochemist Shane Charter, pharmacist Nima Alavi and Dank himself with “appropriate caution” but declined to reject it outright, saying much of it was backed up by text messages and emails.

It said that given the high degree of secrecy, players must have known the regimen was controversial.

There were also consent forms signed by players which said they were to receive “Thymosin” injections.

It said “the complete failure” of players to fill out doping control forms detailing their injections “did not encourage confidence as to the limited or sporadic nature of what they were injected with”.

Think people and the media need to stop treating these players with kid gloves. They're not park footballers, they are professionals, this is their livelihood. You can only feign so much ignorance. People love using military analogies in Football, so maybe we should stop viewing clubs as a family and more as a platoon. Sometimes authority needs to be a questioned when s*** goes FUBAR.

Doesn't mean I don't have a shred of sympathy for the players. I just think people romanticise sporting clubs too much, to the sports own detriment. Sports all to easily shift between "its just business" to "we're a family".

Former Hawthorn premiership player, Brisbane Bears player and Hawthorn/West Coast Eagles coach Ken Judge has passed away, following a long battle with illness, on the day of his 58th Birthday. :-(

He played 72 games for Hawthorn and 17 with Brisbane, in a career which spanned six seasons (1983-1988).

After retirement he coached 133 league games - at Hawthorn from 1996-1999 and West Coast from 2000-2001.

From a Hawks perspective, Judgey took over at a time where the club had lost its way on and off the field and for as long as there is Hawthorn blood in me I will never forget his excitable, passionate post-game celebration in the coaches' box in 1996 following the "Merger Match" win against Melbourne. He bought with him a hard-line approach which sadly (through no fault of his own) was not suited to the age profile or attitude of the Hawthorn team at the time. This is something that another favourite son, Peter Schwab, would also find out soon after.

RIP Ken Judge.

Collingwood stars Dane Swan and Travis Cloke in nude photo leak

“It would seem that somebody’s sucked these idiots into sending out photos and as a result they’ve got them and sold them to the media,” McGuire told Triple M today.

“Apparently they (the women) were offering them up to the TV stations who passed.”

McGuire said he didn’t believe it was a scandal for the club.

“It’s got nothing to do with Collingwood, ring their managers and the players’ association,” he said.

Not enough face to palm

Back
Top Bottom