2016 AFL Season Discussion

Nothing against Swans supporters but dam I love watching Sydney lose. And was good for my team the Hawks. Gotta love the way to doggies play.

x2 about the Swans losing lol. I guess having Buddy just reinforces that feeling.

Who would have thought the Hawks would be 1 game clear at the top past the half way mark of the season...

It's still pretty tight with one game seperating the majority of the top 8.

Another costly loss for the Cats. Hot premiership favourites a few weeks ago and now probably going to drop to 7th after this round. Clearly still in the race but they've got some work to do!

Three huge wins so far this weekend for interstate teams: Hawthorn against Port Adelaide, Sydney against Geelong and Collingwood with a remarkable performance today against the GWS Giants.

A West Coast win tomorrow will almost certainly ensure that the eight it settled - it's just how the teams within it will finally be placed that promises to be really exciting! I still think Sydney will be the minor premiers, followed by Geelong and Hawthorn. The race for 4th place will be a beauty!

I was delighted for Travis Cloke today - 20 disposals, 12 marks and 4.1 represents a great day at the office. I really hope this signals the start of his renaissance, he's been a damn good player over the years.

strange to think really looking at the draws the only team that could drop out the 8 now is North!!
A loss to Port and they are looking beatable!

Re north:

We are close to the worst team in it at the minute. Injuries have completely screwed us. I thought we had depth, and maybe we did, but we have gone so deep into that list there a half dozen players that have played the last four rounds that are either nowhere near afl ready or nowhere near afl standard. We have no replacements for them. Its a train wreck or maybe just a house of cards to begin with....I hate football.

Re north:

We are close to the worst team in it at the minute. Injuries have completely screwed us. I thought we had depth, and maybe we did, but we have gone so deep into that list there a half dozen players that have played the last four rounds that are either nowhere near afl ready or nowhere near afl standard. We have no replacements for them. Its a train wreck or maybe just a house of cards to begin with....I hate football.

right there with you..... couple years ago a kick from the grandfinal... now 9th... again. suspensions, injuries and just terrible luck... will be an interesting game on the weekend north v port.. will be flying over for it

right there with you..... couple years ago a kick from the grandfinal... now 9th... again. suspensions, injuries and just terrible luck... will be an interesting game on the weekend north v port.. will be flying over for it

I think you will win. We look lost at sea down back since both Luke McDonald and Wright have been injured. Mullet and McKenzie just can't defend. Expect Wingard to get a hold of us.

Well, this remarkable season of individual game milestones reaches an extraordinary crescendo this week, with the following:

*Jimmy Bartel - 300 games
*Corey Enright - 326 games (Geelong record)
*Matthew Pavlich - 350 games
*Brent Harvey - 427 games: the VFL/AFL record, surpassing Michael Tuck's record.

It is amazing to think that they are all one-club players.

For a sport obsessed with statistics, it doesn't have a lot of "holy/mythical" numbers. Maybe only Tony Lockett's goal kicking record, Mick Malthouse's games coached record, Fred Fannings 18 goals in a game and the Peter Hudson/Bob Pratt 150 goals in a season record. Boomers record - the most games by ANY player, of the thousands that have played at VFL/AFL level - is one to be celebrated. :)
image.jpeg

Last edited:
Remember about 6 weeks ago how all the media were saying Buddy could kick 100 this year, I thought it was a massive over reaction but my mates just thought I was bitter that he wasn't a Hawk anymore. He now must average over 10 goals a game to get there, can't wait to give my mates the ol 'told ya so' lol.
On another note well done to the milestone players this year, there has been a lot, been blessed as footy fans this year.

Magnificent Melbourne! The Dees have snapped their ten-year, thirteen-game losing streak against my Hawks at the MCG today. Suddenly the race for top position is on again!

Magnificent Melbourne! The Dees have snapped their ten-year, thirteen-game losing streak against my Hawks at the MCG today. Suddenly the race for top position is on again!

Lucky I couldn't watch the game as I would probably have put the remote through the tv screen. But well done Dee's.

Ripper of a Friday Night game tonight! Bulldogs just keep finding a way to get over the line.

There have been rumours floating around Perth today that Hayden Ballantyne will request a trade to the Eagles at the end of the season. I'd just about have to cancel my membership and just follow the WAFL if he actually does get traded to the Eagles! :p

What a great weekend of footy for the impartial viewer - five games decided by a goal or less, all in vastly different circumstances.

The GWS Giants may come to rue their last gasp defeat at the hands of West Coast, I can't see them edging their way back into the top four now. They could still end up with a home elimination final, but it's a long way from there to the "fairy-tale" flag.

I think Sydney on balance are the best team inside the eight, closely followed by Geelong. Adelaide have played Essendon, Brisbane and Fremantle in past three weeks and now face a Port team without much to play for and with Chad Wingard today ruled out for the rest of the season. I still think they are a hard team to judge properly at the moment.

As for my Hawks....well, I'm buggered if I know what to make of them! Talk about playing in fits and starts. They have kept Geelong, West Coast, Bulldogs, Sydney and North Melbourne to goalless quarters this season, yet from afar they seem to be only "just" going.

Prestia had nominated Richmond as his preferred trade destination.

And Suns wants two 1st round picks (similar deal to the Treloar trade) if O'Meara is to go.

Met this guy today, that's what I'm talking about. Go Hawks, tough game tonight but really need the win.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg
Nicely done! Crawf's a pretty good guy.

I'll be at the game tonight, real 50/50 one. Depends which Eagles side turns up, I'm hoping we're still pumped after last week and put the Hawks under the pump early. If we're even a little bit flat I don't like our chances. Whatever happens hopefully it's a ripper :thumbsup:

Back
Top Bottom