2015 Cricket World Cup

Who will win the 2015 Cricket World Cup?

• Total voters
I reckon that the New Zealand vs Australia game was one that the World Cup desperately needed, after two weeks of mostly 300+ scores and bowlers getting flogged to all parts of the ground (and out of it). I have found it a very boring tournament so far, apart from individual highlights like Southee's 7/33 against England and de Villiers 162* yesterday.

A lot of today's excess in the sporting world leaves me cold - most of you know that I am a stubborn traditionalist at heart! - so I thoroughly enjoyed the nail-biting ebb and flow of the contest. From our breakneck start though Finch and Warner, to the middle and lower order collapse, to Haddin and Cummins' rearguard....to McCullum's pyrotechnic start, to wickets either side of the dinner break, to the steadying Williamson and Anderson partnership, to Starc's lethal "near-miracle" last-ditch effort....to Williamson's gutsy lofted six.

What a game, what a day!

I reckon that the New Zealand vs Australia game was one that the World Cup desperately needed, after two weeks of mostly 300+ scores and bowlers getting flogged to all parts of the ground (and out of it). I have found it a very boring tournament so far, apart from individual highlights like Southee's 7/33 against England and de Villiers 162* yesterday.

A lot of today's excess in the sporting world leaves me cold - most of you know that I am a stubborn traditionalist at heart! - so I thoroughly enjoyed the nail-biting ebb and flow of the contest. From our breakneck start though Finch and Warner, to the middle and lower order collapse, to Haddin and Cummins' rearguard....to McCullum's pyrotechnic start, to wickets either side of the dinner break, to the steadying Williamson and Anderson partnership, to Starc's lethal "near-miracle" last-ditch effort....to Williamson's gutsy lofted six.

What a game, what a day!
It was good for N.Z to get up,hope they can go all the way,am now tossing up whether to buy a ticket for the final

Try as I might to admire Shane Watson, by Christ he makes it bloody hard. I thought his send-off of Dilshan last night was gutless and unnecessary. C'mon Shane - a send-off for someone after a failed DRS referral....I think the irony was perhaps lost on him!

The make-up of the Australian team worries me, with the chopping and changing of the batting order. I also think that although Watson's move to No. 6 is beneficial for HIM, his bowling has degenerated to a level that will cost Australia in a big final as he has seemingly lost 5 or so kilometres and is pretty easy to whack around. We looked a bit toothless in the bowling department last night, Starc and Faulkner aside.

Mitchell Starc's improvement reminds me of what Mitchell Johnson achieved last summer against England in the Ashes series...just a complete turn-around in attitude, accuracy and wicket-taking consistency.

It's at the pointy end of the tournament now, I hope everyone hasn't lost interest in as it's been one long tournament. Baring any upsets the semi finals should be:

SAF V NZ

India V Aus

What's everyone's verdict for the final and who will end up winning it?

Last edited:
I predict an Australia vs New Zealand final. Have a suspicion that Southee and Boult could run through South Africa in home conditions and that Johnson and Starc will be too hot to handle for Pakistan and then India.

The one unanswered question over New Zealand is how will they go in front of 90,000 on a bouncy pitch with longer boundaries? Australia too have questions, mostly over the actual make-up of the team. They are too unsettled for my liking and the nonsense over Watson's position has been to the detriment of more dynamic and deserving players. Cummins and Hazelwood have almost been pitted against each other whereas I think that they compliment the two Mitches and that "needing a spinner" is an overrated theory unless it is someone of the quality of Vettori.

Imagine if Ronchi hit the winning runs or took the winning catch against the aussies in the final!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom