1997-98 Metal Universe - The greatest base set of all time

#117 - Bobby Phills

IMG_5252.jpg

Notes

- Cost of set $390 including a PSA8 Jordan.

- Look how many unique and cool designs throughout the set and #78 and 79 have the same right after each other!! Who’s checking this stuff?!??

- Condition sensitive but I like it - gives it character

Last edited:
Thanks for going to the trouble. The pics give a great more idea of the colour/look as opposed to some of the scans on TCDB.

Thoughts
  • Interesting that for some of them they've altered the look of the basketball (for instance - #6 - Steve Smith & #8 - Rod Strickland)
  • #9 Chris Mullen hoopin' in a meteor shower is cool
  • I like to think #10 Rony Seikaly is still stuck in an arcade machine somewhere...
  • #11 Vin Baker - simple but cool
  • #15 Priest Lauderdale - early contender for worst design.
  • #20 Kind of appropriate the world is in AI's hand at this point in time.
  • #21 - Anthony Mason - I was expecting a lot more flamin' ball designs like this one.
  • #22 - Thrown by this one. Is Big Country getting an ice pick through the skull or is a laser beam being shot from behind him? Hopefully the former.
  • #24 - Dale Ellis - "Beam me up Scotty"
  • #25 - I didn't know Terrell Brandon was involved in the destruction of the Death Star.
  • #33 - Cool UFO hoop?
  • #38 - Interesting choice to have Derrick Coleman about to be sliced up by a wind turbine.
  • #41 - I've been where John Wallace is and there is way more scaffolding in real life
  • #42 - Nice of them to leave the bench in otherwise I would have assumed TMac was taking a dump in space
  • #43 - Travis Best - another simple but cool design
  • #53 - Lucky Shawn Bradley is 7'6" otherwise he probably never would have made it out of that canyon alive
  • #53 - Not sure about this one. Slightly better than Priest's
  • #58 - Steve Kerr has been swept up in some 80s TV graphics?
  • Hakeem, Payton, Hill & Schrempf all sick
  • #81 - The Kobe is awesome
  • #85-#86 - Dorky, aging white men don't belong on these cards haha.
  • #97 - Seen this design a few times but with the picture it might be my favourite. Simple but it works.
  • #100 - This reminds me of 2020-21 Select Phenomenon - whilst being quite different.
  • #101 - Maple leafs for Nash? Kinda cool if so.
  • #102 - Vitaly Potapenko. Da fuck is this guy?
  • #104 - Ray Allen (like Mullen) in the meteor shower I think has beaten the Vin Baker/Karl Malone design. Very close though.
  • #108 - Still really don't like this design
  • #109 - They did KG dirty by sticking him with the fishes. I think Vitaly would have been better here.
  • #110 - I'm glad Rony Seikley is trapped for life with another person and I'm glad that person is Christian Laettner.
  • #115 - Mark Price is probably as old as the Egyptians...ba-boom-tish.
  • #116 - Mark Jackson stuffing up my Nash/Maple leaf theory...
  • #117 - Bobby Phills background has definitely appeared in several 80s MTV music videos.
  • #120 - The Mookie/Dumars cyclone design is very cool also
  • #121 - This particular ice is also one of my favourites, just a shame it is wasted on Dean Garrett?!
  • #123 - The Spree volcano/lava design is also great.
Thanks @GarnettFan4Life. Very cool to look through and sorry for the long post.

Last edited:
Thanks for going to the trouble. The pics give a great more idea of the colour/look as opposed to some of the scans on TCDB.

Thoughts
  • Interesting that for some of them they've altered the look of the basketball (for instance - #6 - Steve Smith & #8 - Rod Strickland)
  • #9 Chris Mullen hoopin' in a meteor shower is cool
  • I like to think #10 Rony Seikaly is still stuck in an arcade machine somewhere...
  • #11 Vin Baker - simple but cool
  • #15 Priest Lauderdale - early contender for worst design.
  • #20 Kind of appropriate the world is in AI's hand at this point in time.
  • #21 - Anthony Mason - I was expecting a lot more flamin' ball designs like this one.
  • #22 - Thrown by this one. Is Big Country getting an ice pick through the skull or is a laser beam being shot from behind him? Hopefully the former.
  • #24 - Dale Ellis - "Beam me up Scotty"
  • #25 - I didn't know Terrell Brandon was involved in the destruction of the Death Star.
  • #33 - Cool UFO hoop?
  • #38 - Interesting choice to have Derrick Coleman about to be sliced up by a wind turbine.
  • #41 - I've been where John Wallace is and there is way more scaffolding in real life
  • #42 - Nice of them to leave the bench in otherwise I would have assumed TMac was taking a dump in space
  • #43 - Travis Best - another simple but cool design
  • #53 - Lucky Shawn Bradley is 7'6" otherwise he probably never would have made it out of that canyon alive
  • #53 - Not sure about this one. Slightly better than Priest's
  • #58 - Steve Kerr has been swept up in some 80s TV graphics?
  • Hakeem, Payton, Hill & Schrempf all sick
  • #81 - The Kobe is awesome
  • #85-#86 - Dorky, aging white men don't belong on these cards haha.
  • #97 - Seen this design a few times but with the picture it might be my favourite. Simple but it works.
  • #100 - This reminds me of 2020-21 Select Phenomenon - whilst being quite different.
  • #101 - Maple leafs for Nash? Kinda cool if so.
  • #102 - Vitaly Potapenko. Da f*** is this guy?
  • #104 - Ray Allen (like Mullen) in the meteor shower I think has beaten the Vin Baker/Karl Malone design. Very close though.
  • #108 - Still really don't like this design
  • #109 - They did KG dirty by sticking him with the fishes. I think Vitaly would have been better here.
  • #110 - I'm glad Rony Seikley is trapped for life with another person and I'm glad that person is Christian Laettner.
  • #115 - Mark Price is probably as old as the Egyptians...ba-boom-tish.
  • #116 - Mark Jackson stuffing up my Nash/Maple leaf theory...
  • #117 - Bobby Phills background has definitely appeared in several 80s MTV music videos.
  • #120 - The Mookie/Dumars cyclone design is very cool also
  • #121 - This particular ice is also one of my favourites, just a shame it is wasted on Dean Garrett?!
  • #123 - The Spree volcano/lava design is also great.
Thanks @GarnettFan4Life. Very cool to look through and sorry for the long post.

agree on nearly all of these! Appreciate the reviews!!

never really loved the KG design either! Probably one I’d rather have the Red or Green of

how prophetic #81 was Kobe though hey

7506A9BF-BA28-4480-9E2D-F31D6FC5C58B.jpeg

I like the Stockton and Sprewell designs, very vivid. If it’s or going to match the jersey or the players image/temperament just go nuts with it I say

Back
Top Bottom