Being scammed - how do you think I will fare?

What will the result be?

• Buyer has a completely valid claim and should be refunded

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Paypal are completely inept and you will have to refund, even though you shouldn't have to

Votes: 19 79.2%
  • Paypal will decide in your favour because this 'evidence' is clear

Votes: 4 16.7%

• Total voters

hairyangryfella

Tag Team Quads 93/94
Real Name
Graeme
My friend lets me use his ebay account to sell the odd item.

I listed and sold two game jerseys on 2nd November - Joe Johnson and Josh Smith, both to a Taiwan-based buyer called icollectkobe2001 (47).

Payment came from 'Hung Chiaying', yet I was shipping to 'Danny Lu':

I shipped on 4 November via EMS which has tracking and signature confirmation. This was proven delivered on 8th November.

I thought this was all fine, so I spent the money afterwards.

A short time afterwards, I listed a few more jerseys and on 14th November had this same buyer ask about them:

He had not left me feedback or told me they had arrived, so this made me feel uneasy. Like he wanted this jersey instead and may try to return them, even though I don't take returns (but I know ebay can force you to).

Roll on to 20th November and he apparently files a claim through paypal (no communication on ebay). Yesterday my upset friend forwards me an email from his paypal because this is an escalated dispute, and they've taken the money out of his account to be placed on hold.

Because he knows I have proof of delivery, he has chosen to file a claim with the reason 'Internally Damaged'. He states that the COAs are damaged. Has not suggested how, or shown any evidence of such, but that is his claim.

I have provided Paypal with the following images/explanations:

The COAs were in perfect condition before shipping:

The COAs were in separate booklets:

Inside a Meigray box, which was inside another firm box:

I have also provided the following explanations/questions:

Basically, there is NO WAY that just the COAs could have been damaged. This guy is full of it.

What do you think my chances are?
Paypal have a history of screwing the seller/not taking things into account. Is it likely I will have to pay my friend back in order to refund this liar?

I'm saying 60% decide in your favour because of the timeline but 40% you're screwed unless they have changed their policy regarding any messages concerning the transaction. I remember the claim I had where the guy sent back base cards instead of KG cards and they had proof within messages that he was scamming as well as my video, and they didn't look at ANY of it, and said they would refund me this one time as a courtesy. L O L

good luck man, you'll need it unfortunately!

hate to say it but ebay will likely side with the buyer despite how clear your explanation is, hope for your sake I am wrong.

Sounds like buyer's remorse. eBay/Paypal usually side with the buyer even when you have evidence against them. Hope for the best, but expect the worst mate.

You have explained it the best you can and we can all understand it perfectly but EBay dont use common sense, I'm hoping it all works out for you but I am also fearful that they may side against you.

Sorry to hear, one of the big reasons I stopped collecting.

I refuse to ship to Asia no matter the circumstances, even the USA is a hotspot for scamming unless you know the person.

Hope it works out for you.

Well if paypal don't side with me I'm screwed - reply from NZ Post:

"Our insurance cover on this service is for loss or damage only. Because the parcel is showing delivered and the receiver has confirmed they have receipt the parcel, any claims would only be available in the case the parcel had been damaged in transit. The requirement for International damage claims is the receiver needs to be report the damage to their postal authority (Taiwan Post) no later than 7 days after delivery. When a damage claim is lodged with a postal authority overseas, the sending country (in this case New Zealand Post) is contacted to arrange the claim. I can confirm we have had no contact from Taiwan Post in regard to any claim of damage on parcel EP416596079NZ."

How goddamn unfair is that. The receiver, potentially a different person to the buyer, had to report damage to his local post office, something he wouldn't do (nor would either of us known he would have to do), in order for me to be protected by the insurance I pay on top of shipping for these items. And why would he? He can just file with paypal (up to 180 days after)!!

Seriously FML. I am having such a miserable time right now and don't know how much longer I can remain stable...

I don't think the scammers realise how they are shooting themselves in the foot. The hobby is relatively small, and I see more and more people put off and giving up due to the scammers. The more people who leave the hobby, the smaller is becomes and the more value the items you've scammed lose.

Sorry to hear about this Hairy, awful situation.

I only buy things worth no more than $200 now, I used to sweat on the $1k cards way too much. Too much BS these days and passionate guys like yourself are getting rorted.

Fingers crossed for you mate

Fan-f'ing-tastic...

"The buyer is required to provide tracking information confirming that they shipped the merchandise to you by 8/12/2014. If we don't receive this information, the claim will be closed and a refund will not be issued."

Great news, let's hope the dodgy bastard doesn't send crap back just to get a tracking number and you actually get the jersey back!

Great news, let's hope the dodgy bastard doesn't send crap back just to get a tracking number and you actually get the jersey back!

No it's not great news... It means that despite ALL of the evidence (including two more pieces I sent them), paypal have STILL just said "yeah sure just send it back for a refund" - completely screwing me as an honest seller and one who has already spent the money...
And then there's the risk that a) he sends back an empty box b) he sends back something other than what I sent him c) he sends back a deliberately (or highly unlikely, a legitimately) damaged item that I can't do anything with or claim insurance on or d) simply had buyer's remorse, which still screws me.

Important question though - if someone returns an item bought on eBay, do you get the fees back from selling it??

Mate hope it all works out for you, so many dodgy a-holes out there, I can never understand the logic behind being a scammer, sure ok you get what you want unethically but it's not sustainable and you sure as hell ain't making any friends. I'll stick to being a buyer much safer.

As if this couldn't get worse...

Paypal decided that the item was to be returned because of damage.
Paypal will not let me talk to them about the case because it is not my paypal account (sold on consignment effectively).
It's my friend's ebay account which uses his girlfriend's paypal account. He has said: "you have to be together so she can verify her account & then pass you the phone... it's the ONLY way they'll accept your verification".
So I can't talk to paypal, we're in different cities, great.
"she was on the phone for nearly an hour... she had to spell out every word cos they couldn't understand her accent. She's over it"
We speak ENGLISH here in NZ! WTH?

My only chance at being able to claim insurance is with proof of the damage.

Either paypal have this and I need it released to me, but through the help of someone who now despises paypal and this whole situation and is now unwilling, or paypal decided the claim based on no proof. Either way, not looking good for me...!!

Not that it may help much, but if you did want to talk to Paypal, get a female you know that lives where you do to call them, give your friends details then put you on the phone. They won't know that it isn't the account holder they're talking to.

Back
Top Bottom