2014 FFA Cup

Matt26

OZCT Supporter
Real Name
Matt
Hi everyone,

Not having much knowledge of Soccer in Australia, can anyone tell me if the FFA Cup has been successful this year? Im guessing this is the first year for it?

Love to hear what peoples thoughts are about this tournament?

Cheers
Matt

Yeh been a massive success IMO. I think it has really surprised a lot of people by just how well it has worked.
Will be interesting to see how much it grows next season when clubs start taking their respective State Cups more seriously (they act as feeders for the FFA Cup).

I love the format and its a breath of fresh air in Australian Football.

Too many NSW teams
I thought that myself but when I looked into it the number of state based sides and regions they came from was based on the number of juniors in the state/region. So obviously NSW will have more as their larger population will mean they will have more juniors but at least it is relatively fair.

I think there were 11 NSW teams to 2 SA teams. That is not fair, especially when you realise that 9 of the NSW teams are out of this years competition and both SA teams are still in it.

SA will get an extra team next year as Metrostars (SA) beat Bonnyrigg (NSW - ironically) in the NPL Final last week

I think there were 11 NSW teams to 2 SA teams. That is not fair, especially when you realise that 9 of the NSW teams are out of this years competition and both SA teams are still in it.
I used the word "Fair" in terms of providing 1 team for each percentage of juniors. As I said NSW have a larger population and obviously a lot of juniors so they get more teams. I don't like it either but can't think of a better way as if you were to go with an even distribution across the States and Territories you might have teams that are just making up the numbers as I can't see ACT or Tasmania fielding too many sides.

A better way would be to reward teams who are successful. In the UCL if a countrys' teams perform particularly well they get an extra place in the competition. If NSW teams perform particularly well then I would be happy for them to be given an extra place, but they haven't so they shouldn't be! I don't think it should be based on number of juniors.

Back
Top Bottom