Who will be 13-14 MVP Regular Season?

exzibit3

Old school baby!
Real Name
exzibit3
I think we're deep enough into the regular season where teams early success or failures have proven to be legitimate and individual stats are more averaged out over a large enough number of games. Predict who WILL be NBA MVP of this regular season, not who you WANT to win. Guys like Carmelo and John Wall for eg will not win because of their teams dismal records. It seems that in order to be considered for MVP, the team needs to be a top 3 to top 5 team in the league record wise.

Up until he got injured I thought it should be CP3, but his team is winning without him.

It's down to Lebron and Durant.

I'd go with Durant because he really seems to give it all EVERY night and he plays in the much tougher West Conf.

Current - my opinion

1. Lebron
2. Durant
3. Paul George
4. Lamarcus Aldridge
5. Chris Paul

I'd like to hear why you think Lebron is no.1 this season above Durant?

If he was injured, where would the Heat be in the East? Most likely still 2nd.

You take Durant out of OKC and watch them fall away in the West.

I just think Lebron has been able to coast, in the West there's no way he could get away with that. His stats would not be as good either.

It's flip a coin stuff, but I really think it's Durant's year.

Please don't think I'm having a go at you Matt, just trying to create a debate.

Lebron's stats certainly have MVP written all over them and I do think he's the best player. But we all know the best player doesn't always win the award.

I don't think Miami would be 2nd without Lebron, u have to remember Wade has missed like half the games.
If u take Lebron out the heat won't be close to where there at as they haven't been healthy all season with multiple players such as Ray, Wade, Birdman misses a few games.
Durant has been a beast but if u put Westbrook in and take Durant out the OKC are still a fairly good team as well just like the Heat without Bron.
Also u have to keep in mind Bron is shooting almost 60% from the field and while playing all positions.
IMO Bron should get it but to get it 3 years running is tough and like the Jordan days they will give it to someone else.
That being said I won't be upset if Durant got it as he has been playing mister basketball.

But if none of these 2 get it then its just Bull!

KD for mine.

I'll interested to see who wins it as LBJ is still the best player in the NBA, but as we saw when Karl Malone won his MVPs over Michael Jordan, that doesn't always mean everything even if your team is winning.

Another interesting angle is LBJ's 4 MVPs already. Russell and Jordan have 5, and Kareem has 6... Is LBJ at that level? Do these guys want to give him a 5th when there is a strong, if not stronger, argument for KD to win it this year?

LeBron wont win IMO, you need to really have a compelling reason to give it to him 3 years in a row and his stats are slightly down from last year in terms of points, rebounds and assists. And Miami would really need to be 1st in the East to really give him any chance of winning as expectations are higher for him. I thought Durant was a sure fire winner up until Westbrook went out and OKC have struggled to have a good record so that really doesn't play well for him.

Then you have the best players on teams that play "team ball" , Tony Parker, Lamarcus, Paul George...i mean, by and far, Paul George should be considered MVP for Indiana's record but his stats are fairly pedestrian in the team ball concept. Just for that reason, I think it's hard for him to win. 23 ppg, 45% fg, 38% 3fg, 6 rpg, 3.6 apg. All respectable numbers but are they really MVP type numbers?

My top four picks are durant, Lebron, George and Aldridge, but I think it'll really come down to George, Aldridge and Durant. with the big three in miami and their back to back c'ships, it is expected for them to be good. You can - to an extent - say the same for Durant and OKC going on their success the last couple of years. Paul George has been playing like a beast on an Indiana that was expected to be good but not this good. Aldridge - Career best Numbers for him, amongst the best numbers in Franchise history - all this on a team that wasn't expected to be good.

POssibly 2nd, only because how pi$$ weak the east is. Perhaps a .500 team with all the Heat players missing various games. Still a very talented team without LBJ though.

LBJ gets it if the Heat finish above the Pacers and keeps his efficiency as incredible as it is right now.

George gets it if Pacers scream through the rest of the season

Durants stock is dropping slowly IMO the more games they lose without Westbrick. But still a top 3 choice.

Aldridge doesn't get enough love, but if the Blazers can climb to 1st in the West and stay there, he's a lock for MVP.

You take Durant out of OKC and watch them fall away in the West.

I just think Lebron has been able to coast, in the West there's no way he could get away with that. His stats would not be as good either.

It's flip a coin stuff, but I really think it's Durant's year.

Please don't think I'm having a go at you Matt, just trying to create a debate.

Lebron's stats certainly have MVP written all over them and I do think he's the best player. But we all know the best player doesn't always win the award.

Na all good mate! It's close! I just think Lebron has been better overall (more of a stat sheet filler) and from what I have seen, is able to lead/carry the team better or bring his team back when they are down points better than Durant. He's a bit more experienced is all and has learnt from an extra 4 seasons or whatever it is in the league.

phew! I wouldn't have been able to say this 2 years ago :lol: #WasAhater #stillAbit

I don't think Miami would be 2nd without Lebron, u have to remember Wade has missed like half the games.
If u take Lebron out the heat won't be close to where there at as they haven't been healthy all season with multiple players such as Ray, Wade, Birdman misses a few games.
Durant has been a beast but if u put Westbrook in and take Durant out the OKC are still a fairly good team as well just like the Heat without Bron.
Also u have to keep in mind Bron is shooting almost 60% from the field and while playing all positions.
IMO Bron should get it but to get it 3 years running is tough and like the Jordan days they will give it to someone else.
That being said I won't be upset if Durant got it as he has been playing mister basketball.

But if none of these 2 get it then its just Bull!

Hmmm, I'm sorry but the Heat would be 2nd without Lebron. The Heat minus Lebron are still better than Atlanta.

Sure they've had injuries, but they've been minor and I'd say they're resting their guys because of the 3 years running they've been in the Finals. It's a luxury for them right now. Throw them in the West and I guarantee Wade is playing a few more games.

You're right, OKC are still a very good team without Durant.

Lebron is very efficient no doubt, but he's really playing weak opposition.

I'm sorry but nobody in the East should get it.

Maybe this is LMA's year. He has been great, if he keeps it up, he'd deserve it, but that would be one big FU to Durant.

Standings in East and West to revisit later. I think there will be some big changes by end of season. Grizz and Clippers currently won 4 straight, Toronto Brooklyn and Chicago and Houston, Clippers and Memphis are all 7-3 over last 10 games.

EastJan16.JPG
WestJan16.JPG

I can't see the NBA giving Lebron a 3rd straight MVP. Personally I think Aldridge deserves it more than Durant or George if Bron doesn't get it.
Seriously though East or West 60% from the field from a SF is mental! It's almost as if it should be expected from him, dudes in another dimension this year

The West is tight. Even with OKC's recent slump, they are 2.5 games back from the top seed. Portland is certainly a big surprise to be near the top and Aldridge and more importantly Lillard (3 game winners this season which is the difference in being the 2nd seed and 5th seed) have been huge reasons why they are there. OKC is also extremely surprising to be near the top when you consider they lost Harden two seasons ago, then Kevin Martin this season as the third scorer but have still managed to win games.

I think if it boils down to OKC being in the third sport and Portland at second, with only 3 games in between them, the voters are going to give it to Kevin Durant. He's leading the league in scoring at a 49% clip and his stats across the entire board are better than Aldridge except for having 3 rebounds less a game. This period in between now and when Westbrook returns will make or break KD's case for MVP. Hey, Lebron did it with Cleveland so I really can't give him much excuses for not being able to win as a one man team!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom