Where does LeBron James rank all time?

exzibit3

Old school baby!
Real Name
exzibit3
Where does LBJ rank on your list of all time players? It really is difficult to rank players all time because of the different eras, styles of play, rules, pace, physicality..does intangibles come in, like leadership, health, clutchness, playoff records, number of championships? What do you guys think? Is he even the best of this generation? Some opinions from some of the greats..

View: https://youtu.be/b-pc2R9PApI

Didnt watch the greats but id say Behind kobe and Mj somewhere, Im anti lebron he walks like a penguin lol

I think you have to go #2 behind MJ after adjusting for all the benefits modern day players have. Yes Russell and all the winning was huge but Lebron and the competition and consistency after all the pressures of modern day social media and 24/7 coverage?, epic.

I think you have to go #2 behind MJ after adjusting for all the benefits modern day players have. Yes Russell and all the winning was huge but Lebron and the competition and consistency after all the pressures of modern day social media and 24/7 coverage?, epic.
I'm of two minds on MJ ranking one and LBJ second. MJ only entered the NBA at 21 years old (LBJ at 19yo) and missed out on nearly 4 full seasons due to retirement (came back for final 17 games in his first return). And even at 39 years old was still schooling players and averaging 20 a game.

Even with those missed seasons in his prime, MJ in his 15 seasons has numbers that best LeBron's 15 in scoring, steals and blocks. Let that sink in. Blocks for a shooting guard.
LBJ leads in assists and rebounds, and slightly ahead in shooting percentages but MJ was no slouch in all those categories.

By the end of LeBron's career, his numbers will far surpass MJ and he'll be in top 10 in a lot of all time categories. But if MJ had started earlier, played longer and didn't retire twice, I have no doubt he would also have some untouchable stats including all time leading scorer. That's just from a statistics perspective.

MJ was all about determination and the will to win games and he never had a terrible playoff series or game that lingered in people's minds or questioned his abilities. LBJ was once heavily criticised for shrinking in playoff games and clutch situations.

For the entire body of work that LBJ will one day finish with, I think I would rank him just that slightly higher than MJ. Just the numbers, year in, year out, and the ability to jump from one team to another and immediately bring them into serious contention for the championship.

Instantly thought 2nd ....maaaaaaaaybe 3rd.
MJ
LeBron
Kobe
Could switch LeBron and Kobe but I am one of the rare people who like all 3 of these players so the order doesn't really matter.
I read arguments on forums about these 3 players often it's really funny.
They are all quite different, I like LeBron over Kobe just because he's a beast.

Instantly thought 2nd ....maaaaaaaaybe 3rd.
MJ
LeBron
Kobe
Could switch LeBron and Kobe but I am one of the rare people who like all 3 of these players so the order doesn't really matter.
I read arguments on forums about these 3 players often it's really funny.
They are all quite different, I like LeBron over Kobe just because he's a beast.
I think sometimes we remember the Kobe in his last few years where he's just shooting up bricks. But Kobe in his prime was a bad mofo. The athleticism, the killer instinct. Guy was ice cold. To even think that he was so busted up and battered for the entire last season he played, but still summoned the will and desire to finish with a bang and score 60 and the go ahead basket. He's a legend.

LeBron will be top 5.

Kobe is barely top 10.

0B4B5D6D-467E-46A9-B938-5D66239C5B7B.gif

80CD1B9D-333C-45C5-BA15-44A0C3CBB610.gif

I’d look into stats more but I’d consider having Kobe up as the best Laker of all time. Might be recently bias, which I’m prone to...but he was super good. I mean longevity, era he played in, for one team etc etc.

Who’s the considerations/competition? Kareem, Magic, Shaq, West?

I’d look into stats more but I’d consider having Kobe up as the best Laker of all time. Might be recently bias, which I’m prone to...but he was super good. I mean longevity, era he played in, for one team etc etc.

Who’s the considerations/competition? Kareem, Magic, Shaq, West?
Kareem may be the only Laker who is greater than Kobe imo but even then, that's debatable. Shaq only played 8 seasons there (Kobe 20), Kobe demolishes West in stats and championship rings, and Magic unfortunately had his career stopped short because of the HIV virus but otherwise, could have been right up there.

Please don't feel that I'm hating on him or anything, I watched Kobe growing up and envied him. In saying that, I can't even put him in the top 5 considering the are probably 2 or 3 LAKERS that were better than him.

And I can't take you seriously using a SAS gif.
Who's in your top 10? And who are the 2 or 3 Lakers greater than Kobe?

lebron will end up top 3 of all time. it will be debated for eternity just where in the top 3 tho...
as for kobe and the lakers? kareem pips him for me. people forget just how dominant he was. contemplating right now if he beats out magic or not. probably yes, so second greatest laker ever i think.

Last edited:
Who's in your top 10? And who are the 2 or 3 Lakers greater than Kobe?

My top 10:

Michael Jordan
LeBron James
Magic Johnson
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
Bill Russell
Larry Bird
Shaquille O'Neal
Wilt Chamberlain
Tim Duncan
Kobe Bryant

I used the word barely before because there are many players worthy of that 10th spot, in particular West, Robertson, Olujawon.

Magic and Kareem are greater than Kobe. You could argue that Shaq and Wilt as well but they probably didn't spend enough time in LA.

Magic has always been humble and has said that multiple times. Many have Magic as a greater Laker than Kobe.

My top 10:

Michael Jordan
LeBron James
Magic Johnson
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
Bill Russell
Larry Bird
Shaquille O'Neal
Wilt Chamberlain
Tim Duncan
Kobe Bryant

I used the word barely before because there are many players worthy of that 10th spot, in particular West, Robertson, Olujawon.

Magic and Kareem are greater than Kobe. You could argue that Shaq and Wilt as well but they probably didn't spend enough time in LA.

Magic has always been humble and has said that multiple times. Many have Magic as a greater Laker than Kobe.

Agree, what else is he going to say also when he's on the mic - "and the 3rd greatest Laker of all time....." ? He knows how to play to the people

Back
Top Bottom