What is the definition of old school?

Ersk

Auto collector
OZCT Supporter
Real Name
Al
Would just like to find out what people's ideas are of what old school is.

I do not really know myself. In the past it meant pre-1986 stuff. But some people refer to stuff not produced as recently as in the last 4-5 years as being old school, so I really do not know.

Recently I have been thinking that as time passes, less recent cards would start to be considered old school....so my own definition has changed to possibly being anything produced at least 10-15 years ago.

What do others think?

Ersk

Old School is a DVD with Will Ferrell. It was actually on TV last night...not a bad movie that!! Air Force 1's are old school, Pinstripe Bulls Jerseys are Old School, Dr J is old school, Notorious B.I.G is old school ("old school, new school need to learn though, i burn baby burn like Disco Inferno"), 1984 beige Toyota Corona's are old school....i dont think cards can be described as old school, for me old school is "Classic" not many cards fall into classic.....Die Cut Allstarts, Jordans Flight Team, 3D Triple Double, 04-05 Exquisite (got you there, you were thinking what i was saying was 90's

Old School has no definition as such, well, not one that will get you a consistent "time frame" when it is used to refer to cards. Here is a decent definition: "anything that is from an earlier era and looked upon with high regard or respect". Although now we need to define "era"!

Old School has no definition as such, well, not one that will get you a consistent "time frame" when it is used to refer to cards. Here is a decent definition: "anything that is from an earlier era and looked upon with high regard or respect". Although now we need to define "era"!

and we need to define "respect"....me personally, i respect the power of the blue flame of a bunsen burner hahahahaha

Anything after 1980. Before 1995.

There its set. No more discussion needed, I have created the era for all members to avoid confusion and contribute to the hobby. Please include this in your footnotes if your write an essay on the subject.

No vintage is vintage. I collect anything within 20 years older or younger than HSV Steve LMAO

Thanks guys.

What I do not understand is why people refer to stuff as Old School when they were produced in 2001 up to 2005?

Ersk

While vintage does have a actual definition (pre 1980). Old school is much more relative, to how old you are and how long you have been collecting. In 10 years time vintage will be, vintage and we will probably group the pre Panini days as well. But old school will probably be used to refer to today’s cards.

Back
Top Bottom