West Coast Eagles Official Thread

Richo

OzCardTrader
Real Name
Paul
eBay User
Richo75
OK, I thought I would start this thread to talk about all that is West Coast Eagles. There has been some serious problems at the club this year but a GREAT Grand Final replay with the same winning margin for the 1st game of the year would have brought smiles to West Coast Fans everywhere :)

West Coast hold on in a thriller

ROUND 1; Defeated Sydney by 1 Point (again).
West Coast 11-8-(74)
Sydney 10-13-(73)

By Nathan Wood of footygoss.com.au
One of the greatest rivalries in football history has lived up to expectation again tonight, as the Eagles held on to an emphatic one point victory against the Sydney Swans at Telstra Stadium.

Coming into the match, the last five encounters between these teams has equaled to a difference of only 12 points. With the last three games only being decided by a solitary point.

West Coast put their months of preseason controversy behind them, as they jumped out to lead of 37 points. However, Swans in true style fought their way back into the match.

Eagles Daniel Kerr was named best on ground with 28 possessions, 3 marks and 7 tackles. Whilst, skipper Chris Judd blew the game out early with 27 possession and two goals.

For Sydney promising half forward Ryan O’Keefe provided a livewire for the Swans, collecting 22 touches and taking five marks.

Eagles opened the game with the first two goals, one to forward Quinten Lynch and one to Adam Hunter. However, Sydney responded with a goal to Nick Davis, but a Michael O’Loughlin goal from 20 metres out, put the Swans in front for the first time.

The Eagles answered, with the next two, including an amazing snap goal to Michael Braun. Sydney’s Barry Hall, then broke his goalless drought against the Eagles with a set shot to bring the margin back to four points.

The Eagles closed out the first term with a controversial 50 metre penalty to Mark Seaby and a thrilling running 50 metre goal to Shannon Hurn to take a 14 point quarter time lead.

The second term was all the Eagles, as they kicked four answered goals, whilst Sydney’s inaccurate kicking in front of the sticks gave the Eagles a 36 point lead.

The Swans opened the third quarter with a goal to Brett Kirk, before Davis kicked his second to give Sydney hope of comeback.

During the term, Eagles spearhead Lynch had three shots on goal, only resulting in behinds. A strong mark and a set shot goal by Luke Vogels at the 20 minute mark of the term took the margin to just 19 points heading into the last stanza.

Sydney again opened the term with goal, with Darren Jolly kicking his first. However, Seaby responded to push the Eagles lead back out to 19 points.

Three late goals to Sydney, one to Sean Dempster and one to Peter Everitt and one to Phillips bought the margin back to 1 point, but it was too late as the Eagles held on in yet another close match.

Sydney ……. 3.4 3.8 6.11 10.13 (73)
West Coast....6.0 10.2 10.6 11.8 (74)

Goals
Sydney- N. Davis 2, Dempster, Everitt, Goodes, Hall, Kirk, O'Loughlin, Phillips, Vogels
West Coast- Hunter 2, Judd 2, Seaby 2, Braun, Chick, Hurn, Lynch, Staker

Best
Sydney- O’Keefe, Kirk, Richards, Jolly
West Coast- Kerr, Judd, Selwood, Braun

man what a great game it turned out to be, i thought Sydney were gunna steal it!

Tell me about it - I was there !

The funny thing is that I didn't think we would lose all along (during the last quarter)......I did think we would lose the GF last year (In the last quarter) but after seeing them hang on there I had great faith and even said to my wife (at 3/4 time) - "Wouldn't it be funny if we won by a point again"

I went to the game thinking we were not a snowballs chance in hell but all the off-field drama meant nothing once the siren went :)

Well Done Eagles :D

2 from 2 now Jase......our skills aren't quite there but we are getting over the line so i'll take the wins :)

getting over the line with probably the 2 best players in the afl in juddy and kerr. superstars!!!

haha yeh, you got a few of them at WCE now, Braun & Selwood are both Bendigo boys, i used to play against Michael Braun in juniors

Leon Davis' was a terrific goal too lets not forget that one :) .

Good win for the Eagles, but im happy with our boys. Missing a few players we are also so things look a bit more positive this week for the Black and White. :)

Kerr is in brownlow form me thinks.

Back
Top Bottom