United front to card grading required

ooneil

OzCardTrader
Real Name
Owen
Hi all - if your like me i get outraged at some of the descriptions that ebay seller put on their cards. Here's an awesome one i just come across.

"Condition of card is VERY GOOD with rounded corners and small crease top right corner of card as per scan."

Newflash for this guy - a card with rounder corners and a crease is in poor condition - average at a stretch.

I would like to see ozcardtrader.com.au take a lead in this area and formulate a card grading guide. It would be a great service to all collectors and with the number of members here we set a standard for seller to abide by.

Im happy to make a contribution to get it up and going. Who's with me?

Great idea a common approach to grading a card on the site would be wonderful but why reinvent the wheel, use a descriptor based system that is already out there. Would be great for the hard core collectors here but I reckon some of the kids on the site or parents who have joined for their kids (and are not hard core collectors) may struggle. I suppose we could only give it a go.

I would be in.

You'll never ever ever get everyone on the same page! Sorry to say it but your kidding yourself if you think you will! Best and only way to go about it, is to make sure you know what you are looking at and read descriptions properly... People will do research if they really want to and/or need too..... Everything sold and traded through this site is expected to be Near Mint unless otherwise described and that can be controlled but how do you expect to control it on Ebay and the like? Also, not all people think the same as each other, what is in Mint condition to some of us is not to others and so on..... At the end of the day, if your not happy with condition or description just ignore the listing and move on! :thumbsup:

I really liked how one of the other members here had in their ebay description the rules for posting as OCT members and that they would ship cards according to OCT rules. I suppose a standard guideline could be included in descriptions for card condition as well.

Ian is right though that to get every one on the same age on ebay is just too large of a task. A-holes will always be there to ruin the fun.

Here is the specific definition of VG (Very Good) from Beckett:

"A card that has been handled but not abused: slightly rounded corners with slight layering, slight notching on edges, a significant amount of gloss lost from the surface but no scuffing, and moderate discoloration of borders. The card may have a few light creases."

Here is the specific definition of VG (Very Good) from Beckett:

"A card that has been handled but not abused: slightly rounded corners with slight layering, slight notching on edges, a significant amount of gloss lost from the surface but no scuffing, and moderate discoloration of borders. The card may have a few light creases."

WOW I would not have thought of that as VG very good just goes to show my definition of VG is far different than beckett's. To me VG is has to have zero rounding , zero creases , at most minimal gloss loss etc. As mentioned earlier I'm with the why reinvent the well there is already a grading system in place eg Mint 9 etc. I too feel that on OTC cards are mint or NM unless other wise stated. Ask questions seek more photo's/scan's etc. As for ebay read descriptions carefully aks for more photo's/scan's from seller of the actual card if you like and make your decisions based on the info at hand if in any doubt keep looking. :v:

You'll never ever ever get everyone on the same page! Sorry to say it but your kidding yourself if you think you will! Best and only way to go about it, is to make sure you know what you are looking at and read descriptions properly... People will do research if they really want to and/or need too..... Everything sold and traded through this site is expected to be Near Mint unless otherwise described and that can be controlled but how do you expect to control it on Ebay and the like? Also, not all people think the same as each other, what is in Mint condition to some of us is not to others and so on..... At the end of the day, if your not happy with condition or description just ignore the listing and move on! :thumbsup:

Yeah i understand what your saying - but i this is a pretty large community of card collectors and there are plenty of sellers amongst us. Dont underestimate the power a group such as this can wield.

I think it would be a good idea to set one up for this site although most on here know what is what. It's the sometimes collectors and those selling childhood collections that are the main prob. Ebay have a guide to grading sports cards but IMO it is very generous. I have used it many times and stated in listings that it is generous, AND STILL have copped abuse for my grading. EVEN when a good scan has been added to further assess the card.
IMO you'll never get ppl to agree. I'd liken this task to being like a politition. There will ALWAYS be haters. Tips on good scaning techniques would probably go further

at the end of the day whats it really matter what the seller says....you can tell with your own eyes if the card is sh!t or not.....its not a big deal if its G,VG,Mint or Gem Mint beckett are corrupt anyway so doesnt matter what sellers put on ebay it cant be trusted....this is what i dont get with guys on here....if you collect a set and theres a card you need you havent seen for a while...buy the damn thing..if your a player collector and a card comes up you dont have...buy the damn thing...if you sit on ur a$$ all day waiting for something to come up with super sharp corners you wont buy anything....its not like we're like graham and searching for cards that are psa 9 or better...upgrade it later

oh btw great to see another newcastle collector!

Mint (MT) -- A card with four sharp corners, 50/50 centering, no imperfections or signs of wear. Even cards straight out of the pack do not always grade mint. Pre-1970 MT cards typically sell at 150 percent or more of the NM price.

Near Mint (NM) -- A near-perfect card with perhaps one minor imperfection, such as one blunt corner. Centering is no worse than 60/40 and the card must have its original gloss. NM cards are the standard by which other grades are usually gauged. Example: MT cards bring 150 percent of book.

Excellent-Mint (EX-MT) -- A card with only two or three minor imperfections. Must have original gloss and centering no worse than 70/30. EX-MT cards typically sell for 75 to 90 percent of the NM price.

Excellent (EX) -- A card with a few minor imperfections. Some original gloss is lost and the edges show moderate wear. All four corners typically show some wear. Centering is no worse than 75/25. EX cards usually sell for 50 percent to 75 percent of the NM price.

Very Good (VG) -- A card that shows obvious handling but is still attractive despite wear and imperfections. A VG card may have a crease, but one that's not severe enough to make the card unattractive. Most of the original gloss is lost. VG cards usually sell for 25 percent to 35 percent of the NM price.

Good (G), Fair (F), Poor (P) -- A very worn card with many major imperfections. Collectors use cards of these grades as fillers until better ones can be found. With very little market for such cards, they are valued at 5 percent to 10 percent of the NM price.

thought this could be a base for discussion. Sourced from "Trading Card Central"

Back
Top Bottom