The Technical/Tips/Hints Thread

Iron Clad Lou

OzCardTrader
Real Name
Luke
I could not find a general hints, tips or technical advice related to cards...either be storage, photography, scanning, archiving or security...so I decided to start one to lump any questions i may have (or that others may have).

Firstly:

I bought a scanner to scan multiple cards because my photography skills are garbage! That is another question.

Anyway I bought an Epson V39 scanner that I realised yesterday would not scan slabs due to the CIS sensor. After spending $140 on it, i had to go out and find a more expensive CCD sensor scanner, that allows you to scan the depth of a slab.

Anyway i lucked out on Gumtree with a $20 Epson V33 that has a CCD sensor and scans like a treat! Just keep that in mind if you are trying to scan slabs! Sorry about the huge size, but just wanted to show the difference in scanners. The after shot has a Palms off extra thick PSA sleeve on, which gives it that funny look, but the label still looks heaps better and clearer.

Before:

img20221222_16061722.jpg

After:
img20221223_21580310.jpg

Great thread idea! I was just looking at scanners today. Didn't even think of the slab depth not being picked up by a weaker scanner.

Somehow looking for a scanner today turned into leaving the store with a $99 photo box 😐

1671803588052.png

I'll update this post to add some photos so we can compare with the scans.

I've had the $20 eBay photo box before and whilst it was great and worked as intended I really wanted to try the above for a few reasons:
1. I can close it off when not in use = Less dust inside to manage.
2. It has reflective inner sides = Brighter and more spread of light?
3. The light strips are in a square formation inside (not ring shaped) = Less reflections from slabs?
4. Larger size = Opportunity to photograph multiple slabs or larger items.

I'm 100% still getting a scanner as I think it'll be a cleaner image and not to mention easier, quicker and less fiddly once setup.

Edit: Couple of quick photos after setup. Will post first impressions in another post below.

E3029A77-0F4A-4BB5-AA2C-431011756412.jpeg
998E7C47-D273-4547-BA49-083704690B5E.jpeg

Note: Photos taken on a very outdated iPhone SE (2020).

Last edited:
Love this! I wish this was around before I spent thousands on scanners...

I went through a period of wanting a scanner that would scan both sides of the card at the same time to save time. I did a little bit of research and bought the Epson DS-570W. This is a feed through scanner worth around $600.

Pros:
- Scans both sides of the card.
- Lighting on the scan is pretty good!
- Speed of scan is amazing.

Cons:
- Leaves a scratch on the card if you scan without a top loader.
- Elongates the scan of the card.
- You need to scan in a top loader and push the card through as it won't feed through itself.
- Leaves a vertical line down the scan.
- You can't scan anything thicker than a 35pt card.

Recommendation:
I'm sure there would be a way of overcoming the issues listed above. I just wish it wouldn't scratch the card when scanning without protection. If you were smart enough to figure them out then go for it.

Example of scan:

Screen Shot 2022-12-24 at 6.15.26 am.png

Following my experience with the above, and having a need to scan one touches, graded cards and thick cards I went out and bought the Epson V600. It was around the $600 mark when I bought it.

Pros:
- Scans look amazing. Picks up all the depth in a graded or patch card.

Cons:
- Takes 100 times as long as the scanner listed above. (Not exaggerating here).

Recommendation:
If you're after a scanner that has amazing quality and have the time to slowly scan your cards, then this is the scanner for you. There are better models than this but I don't think you will need them.

Scan Example:
(Note this is through a one touch as well).

Screen Shot 2022-12-24 at 6.29.02 am.png

Happy to answer any questions on this as I have been through a fair bit!

Great thread idea! I was just looking at scanners today. Didn't even think of the slab depth not being picked up by a weaker scanner.

Somehow looking for a scanner today turned into leaving the store with a $99 photo box 😐

1671803588052.png

I'll update this post to add some photos so we can compare with the scans.

I've had the $20 eBay photo box before and whilst it was great and worked as intended I really wanted to try the above for a few reasons:
1. I can close it off when not in use = Less dust inside to manage.
2. It has reflective inner sides = Brighter and more spread of light?
3. The light strips are in a square formation inside (not ring shaped) = Less reflections from slabs?
4. Larger size = Opportunity to photograph multiple slabs or larger items.

I'm 100% still getting a scanner as I think it'll be a cleaner image and not to mention easier, quicker and less fiddly once setup.
I might get one of these.
My missus works at JB so i can use the discount! I think a photo box has a use as well as scanners.

I think the presentation of the photo box looks nicer. Scanning is mainly for archival and selling stuff

Ok first impressions of the XCD Premium LED Portable Photo Studio are:

1671872588056.png

- It's worth every dollar!! :hearts:
- The size is perfect. Nice and large, lots of room for different items. 400x400x400mm are the dimensions.
- The reflective sides, whilst maybe only a placebo effect on me, look incredible. Nice and bright and makes me feel professional 📸
- The whole thing is collapsible/foldable/portable, very easy to setup and take down. Basically just folds out and velcros together at each corner with very firm velcro grip too.
- The sides are sturdy and it definitely feels like a $100 product.

⚠️Only concern was that the lights got very hot very fast but weirdly they didn't feel hotter after about 10 minutes use, they were still hot just not as hot as I initially thought. I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving this on when not in the room. However for it's intended use I can't complain as I don't think I'd be having it running for long periods and it has a nice rocker style switch.

📲 On a separate but related note, it made me realise I need to get a new camera as my old iPhone SE (2020) just won't cut it these days.

Go ta cheap Epson Perfection 1260 then realised I can't find or there is no easily available drivers for Windows 10 64-bit !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyone know a good work around to be able to use it? Only thing I found could be VueScan but I think it's like $60

I know the scanner works as I got the trial version of VueScan I just haven't been able to find any other drivers or update through the Epson Print/Scan Utility I already had for my WF-2830 printer/scanner/copier

Not 'technical' but definitely a tip/trick I've found super handy when adding cards to my MERQARY Trophy Room.

I've found that if I add an 'Avery Dispense-a-Label' 24mm x 49m over the top of the top loader (see below images) it keeps the card in place whilst allowing me to add a code to identify where the card is physically located. I ship the card with this label over the card and then it can be removed by the buyer without leaving any sticky residue.

I also add this code to the 'Description' text box in the card details on MERQARY. This way, when the card is sold you can very easily find where the card is!

img20230101_20415863.jpg

img20230101_20410420.jpg

img20230101_20412712.jpg

Anybody know where you could buy some black foam or something that would allow me to cut PSA and top loader moulds that i could use with my scanner as a way to easily place them when scanning?

I might try Bunnings once i get over Covid, but wondering if anyone had any ideas.

I thought about something like this. I ended up using a piece of lego which gives me a straight line to line up my scan.

A piece of foam might work too!

Someone had like a black piece that would line up with their scanner, and you would just put the PSA/BGS/Top Loader/One Touch mould in and then scan away!

If i can figure it out, i might make a bunch and see how they go

Back
Top Bottom