The Official LA LAKERS thread!!

Bah bah bah, I hate individual stats in sport, Kobe has 5 rings west the 1. End of the day sport is about winning, west is a 6'2 white boy who would be embarrassed by Kobe at 6'6 and 10 times the athleticism. No comparison. Look at this way who would you rather guard?? Kobe, good luck.
Ahh, the old 'rings = greatness'. This does work until someone points out that then Bill Russell is the GOAT, and Horry is better than Jordan as a modern day player...and Satch Sanders is better than both of them! At least West is the equal of Lebron ;) . And ignoring the comments about race, if it came down to athleticism, Chamberlain beats them all.

Greatness takes into account rings, and athleticism, and stats, and attitude...which is why it is so contentious. I'm not right in my beliefs, others are not wrong in their beliefs...unless someone mentions Jeff Lamp as the greatest Laker of all time...we just have different opinions. Kinda glad I haven't brought up the fact that I don't think Jordan is the greatest...and struggles to make the top 3 in my list! :D

Ewww. Likeability is a critieria for the greatness of a player? I'm always willing to be educated on the greatness of the players that I've never got to watch, I was born in the 80's so it just wasn't possible to appreciate the different eras. I've read the argument about Kobe missing shots in clutch time a few times before, it doesn't change it for me and besides, you can't talk about that without having a comparison to how many shots Jerry missed :)
Ha ha, no I'm not talking about 'likeability'. I'm talking about the miscellaneous actions, events and traits that make someone 'great' (we're talking about 'greatest' not 'best'...there is a difference in my mind). Whilst I don't 'like' some of the things Kobe has done and said, I think it has affected his 'greatness'. If he doesn't take the airball jump shot against the Jazz as a Rook, if he and Shaq patch things up and win a few more titles, if the Denver event doesn't rail road a whole season...those sort of things cost championships.

Bah bah bah, I hate individual stats in sport, Kobe has 5 rings west the 1. End of the day sport is about winning, west is a 6'2 white boy who would be embarrassed by Kobe at 6'6 and 10 times the athleticism. No comparison. Look at this way who would you rather guard?? Kobe, good luck.

I disagree with this, clearly Kobe is a better player.
But compared with the peers at their time and then compared to each other is all we can do. The game evolves and the standard improves.
In twenty years every team in the league will have a player sitting on the bench better than Kobe in skills set. In a hundred years the skill level will be so high the game could become sterile.
This is like comparing Rocky Marciano and Mike Tyson, you have to pick one but if they fought one would expect MT to win, but who was greater among their peers in their time.
I simply stated that Kareem is the best all time Laker, then Magic, who brought more to the NBA than his game. Magic saved the NBA, the standard before and after was a massive jump, and he was the only player of that kind in his time. West also changed the game, but the NBA was strong then.
Today Kobe is a great player, but he hasn't changed the game like those before, sure there's been massive changes. But the credit for that rests on many players, too many to mention.
The greatest changes in the game, for me evolved around two players. MJ and Shaq.
To be honest I feel sorry for Shaq, if the rules hadn't changed so players could defend him. He would have won ten rings or more. Then we would be arguing about about Shaq and Kareem.

Ahh, the old 'rings = greatness'. This does work until someone points out that then Bill Russell is the GOAT, and Horry is better than Jordan as a modern day player...and Satch Sanders is better than both of them! At least West is the equal of Lebron ;) . And ignoring the comments about race, if it came down to athleticism, Chamberlain beats them all.

Greatness takes into account rings, and athleticism, and stats, and attitude...which is why it is so contentious. I'm not right in my beliefs, others are not wrong in their beliefs:D

I agree with this, except the bit I deleted, lol.

Rings doesn't equal greatness.
Because for me the greatest of all time, the one guy I think has done more for the game than any other and continues to do so is Charles. He was a great player, great person, funny, and nasty. To me he is the greatest icon in the game for me.
I forgot, he's a dumbass, LOL.

Tough lose on and off court today. Thought we would have won today but Kobe wnt back to his old self and shot the ball to much. Kobe then sprained his ankle right at the end and is out indefinately. Was it just me or shouldnt that have been a foul when Kobe hurt himself?? Isnt the defender ment to give u space to land? The defended was right under Kobe when he came down hense Kobe going to ground and hurting his ankle. It the foul was called the 2 FT could have tied the game with only seconds left? Anyway i think the injury is worse for LA than the actual lose. We have a decent run to finish off except for the last 3 but we should still make it providing Kobes injury isnt to bad. Thing Clark needs a rest as he hasnt handled the work long since Gasol went down. Gasol is up and doing shoot arounds and hopefully only a week or 2 away.

Tough times ahead but i think if we can make it into the playoffs and get heallthy then the balls in your court as to how far we can take it.

Tough lose on and off court today. Thought we would have won today but Kobe wnt back to his old self and shot the ball to much. Kobe then sprained his ankle right at the end and is out indefinately. Was it just me or shouldnt that have been a foul when Kobe hurt himself?? Isnt the defender ment to give u space to land? The defended was right under Kobe when he came down hense Kobe going to ground and hurting his ankle. It the foul was called the 2 FT could have tied the game with only seconds left? Anyway i think the injury is worse for LA than the actual lose. We have a decent run to finish off except for the last 3 but we should still make it providing Kobes injury isnt to bad. Thing Clark needs a rest as he hasnt handled the work long since Gasol went down. Gasol is up and doing shoot arounds and hopefully only a week or 2 away.

Tough times ahead but i think if we can make it into the playoffs and get heallthy then the balls in your court as to how far we can take it.

Yeah I thought the Lakers were gonna pull it out. Kobe didn't execute the best down the stretch, very one out, but he did kick it to Artest for a lay up and he missed, what a killer.

Very harsh if the refs were to start calling fouls on a player getting under you like that. How do you decide if it's a foul or not?

It's a fair point Kobe makes, if he's fading away, how does a guy get under him like that, it's because the defender didn't really jump. Not sure anyone's trying to injure someone in the last seconds of a season game.

It does happen a bit though. I liked Kobe's call that he got "Jalen Rosed". Ha ha.

In real time, the play didn't look like much but the overhead and slow motion replays show it to be worse. That's pretty much the Lakers done for the season I think. Kobe would still play through the pain, I give him 2 games max and I bet he'll be suiting up for the Phoenix game.

I think that's a tough call to so it was done on purpose.
No athlete would do such a thing, fair solid defense.
Kobe was angry, understandable, but I think in a few days he will retract that statement.
Jones did not target the legs of Kobe.

I think that's a tough call to so it was done on purpose.
No athlete would do such a thing, fair solid defense.
Kobe was angry, understandable, but I think in a few days he will retract that statement.
Jones did not target the legs of Kobe.
Official NBA statement says that it was a foul. http://www.nba.com/official/?ls=iref:nbahpts
Watch Jalen Rose admit what players do to injure other players including what he did to Kobe in the Finals
And fast forward to 1:30 to see it

I think the intention was there by Jones to take his legs from under him.

Amazing win! I don't know about Kobe playing before he's had a chance to heal, he was back early as I predicted but to jump in right into the next game to me, is a bit too much..he needs to think longevity and long term..

Another good win this time without Kobe! Still makes u wonder how much damage they can do with Gasol due back in about a week and i'd say Kobe the same. 10-15 games back together and then having Clarks energy off the bench with Meeks shooting and Blakes good alround play. Loved seeing the shared scoring today.

Metta 22
Clark 11
Dwight 12 and 17 boards + 5 blocks
Meeks 6
Nash 19 and 12 dimes
Jamison 27 and 9 boards
Blake 16 5 boards and 8 assists

Back
Top Bottom