The Australian cricket non-official thread!

Victorian debutant Travis Dean has broken a swag of records and led the Vics to an outright win against Queensland. They are as follows:

*First player to score a century in each innings of his Sheffield Shield debut - 154 not out and 109 not out
*Sixth player in First Class cricket history to make a century in each innings on debut
*His 263 runs is the most ever made by a batsman on First Class debut
*Most total runs on Sheffield Shield debut

He faced a total of 500 balls across both innings, batted 645 minutes and was in the middle for all 335.2 overs of the match.

It is great to see big hundreds already this First Class season - 152* to Steve Smith, 202* to Michael Klinger, 141 to Scott Henry, 154* to Travis Dean and of course the Finch/Carters double centuries.
Travis Dean's scores are amazing. He was included in the Victorian side at the expense of Aaron Finch, so he was under pressure to perform straight up, particularly as Finch responded to being dropped by scoring 288no in the tour game.

The Vic selectors have a decent headache trying to select a team for next weeks game.

As Matt said, great to see so many hundreds so early.

Travis Dean's scores are amazing. He was included in the Victorian side at the expense of Aaron Finch, so he was under pressure to perform straight up, particularly as Finch responded to being dropped by scoring 288no in the tour game.

The Vic selectors have a decent headache trying to select a team for next weeks game.

As Matt said, great to see so many hundreds so early.
Having watched Travis play a lot of junior cricket here in the western suburbs of Melbourne as a opposing coach,he was always one of the better players in club and rep cricket,it would not surprise me at all if he went on to higher honours(I hope I haven't jinxed him)
He is a very steady opener and is not easily flustered and I think you will see a lot more of him over the coming years

Just home from work raining here in Melbourne so just about to plant myself in front of t.v
GO KIWIS don't you just love summer

This is perhaps the most inexperienced Australian top-order since the days of WSC in regards to Tests played per player. Great opportunities ahead for Burns, Khawaja, Voges and Mitchell Marsh to put down their individual markers and remove the speculation and doubt regarding their positions.

I admire the way New Zealand play but think that the time has come for them to shed the "loveable loser" tag and go for Australia's throat if the opportunity presents itself. The Kiwis possess out-and-out match-winners in McCullum, Williamson, Southee and Boult.

Ahead of what will surely be an horrendously one-sided Test series against the West Indies, the Australia vs New Zealand series will be the main course this summer. Let's have at it!!

Who would have thought that Lyon with 46 Tests would be the second highest capped player in our team on the GABBA today !! WOW

tests played
Johnson 71
Lyon 46
Warner 43
Smith 33
Starc 22
Khawaja 9
Hazelwood 9
Voges 7
M Marsh 7
Nevill 4
Burns 2
Siddle (12th man) 57

100 at lunch.

I think McCallum has set a just a few more fields in that first session too.

Burns and Warner looking in ominous touch.

What a day! 150 for Davey Warner and Usman Khawaja passed the century mark just before stumps. The skipper and Joe Burns are also looking in very good touch! We end the day on 2/389!

Awesome effort from the Aussies. Certainly stamping their authority on this series from the get go and dispelling some notions and/or myths that this side "in transition" can't bat. Nice patience early on and foot on the accelerator stuff later on once NZ faltered.

NZ bereft of ideas, lethargic and listless. Took a great catch from Taylor to be rid of Warner, and in strolls Smith. So stoked for Khawaja too...long touted for bigger things, and undeservedly in and out of the side for the last 3 years, smashes an exhilarating ton.

Brutal batting by the Aussies, this is very similar to what the poms did to us in Adelaide in 06/07. We know how that turned out for them so hopefully we can do better and thump the Kiwis to start the summer

This is the first time that Australia has recorded an opening partnership of 100+ in each innings of a Test match! it has happened in consecutive innings previously (eg the second innings of one Test and the first innings of the next) but never in the same match.

As Mr (Joe) Burns would surely declare the achievement to be...... :)

image.jpeg

I'm still not sure about Mitchell Starc in Test cricket. Once the ball stops swinging, as it has done reasonably early at the 'Gabba for example, he doesn't have too many answers. I think in general Australia's bowling has been fairly ordinary in the current Test, particularly this morning where so many deliveries were wasted.

What I do like is Steve Smith's grumpiness at slip....this is top level sport and he looks a man who won't merely settle for so-so efforts, he will demand consistently high standards. I think he'll end up being an outstanding captain.

Good win to Australia in the end.

Can't help but think that Starc might be 'rested' at some point. Would love to see Siddle get his 200th test wicket. Great to see Johnson match Lee on 310 at a better average and less tests. And I wouldn't mind seeing Pattinson back in the side.

Yeah no reason to throw the ball back at Craig i'm glad the four runs goes against him for that overthrow

Yeah no reason to throw the ball back at Craig i'm glad the four runs goes against him for that overthrow
Starc fined 50 percent of his match fee,(should of taken the whole lot)not as if the game was tight
And there was just no need for it,hope he cops a earful from his captain

Back
Top Bottom