The Australian cricket non-official thread!

This is only 2nd hand info because i haven't got cards signed in 15 years so i asked people at the Gabba for the first test. They said its almost impossible to get at the game now you have to go to the training sessions and when they finish the players will sign for you

Chris Rogers made a really good point on Sunday during the ABC commentary regarding the DRS and the use of hawkeye tracking in it. He suggested that if a batsman reviews an LBW decision and hawkeye shows less than 50% of the ball to be hitting the stumps (and therefore still remains "umpires' call"), the team should not lose its review.

I think it's a fantastic idea, particularly with the Latham and Williamson LBW decisions in the second innings. I thought the Williamson hawkeye replay was absolutely ridiculous anyway and believe that the batting team deserves some protection from what is an inexact science. Hawkeye only predicts, whereas hotspot, snicko and the "ball pitched in line" thingy detect actual sounds, friction and straight lines.

We could argue the toss all day about whether hawkeye should even be a part of DRS - I believe it shouldn't - but given that for now it IS, what does everyone think about Buck's suggestion?

I don't know why they don't review every wicket anyway. Umpire can give it out and they check it. Simple. No need to fart about with reviews. Bowling team gets 2-3 reviews only per innings.

That said, I hate DRS. Every kid grows up being taught to take the umpires word for it. At every level, cricketers have to cop the umpire's decision, except at Test level. If anything, DRS has shown that most umpires get it pretty right most of the time. Howlers are part of the game. It sucks, but so be it Jedi.

Chris Rogers made a really good point on Sunday during the ABC commentary regarding the DRS and the use of hawkeye tracking in it. He suggested that if a batsman reviews an LBW decision and hawkeye shows less than 50% of the ball to be hitting the stumps (and therefore still remains "umpires' call"), the team should not lose its review.

I think it's a fantastic idea, particularly with the Latham and Williamson LBW decisions in the second innings. I thought the Williamson hawkeye replay was absolutely ridiculous anyway and believe that the batting team deserves some protection from what is an inexact science. Hawkeye only predicts, whereas hotspot, snicko and the "ball pitched in line" thingy detect actual sounds, friction and straight lines.

We could argue the toss all day about whether hawkeye should even be a part of DRS - I believe it shouldn't - but given that for now it IS, what does everyone think about Buck's suggestion?
I agree on the Buck Rogers statement, however I'm a supporter of Hawk Eye. I know it can be in accurate but it can only get better. I think another way it could be done is if they had fixed cameras on the side fence which film just the action on the pitch. Then for LBWs they could slow down that footage and work out the rising angle of the ball on impact with the pad, and determine whether it's going over the top or not. Then all that has to be done is confirm the line of the ball. Just my thoughts :)

I have tickets for Day 1 at the SCG. Don't know what will be worse: the condition of the SCG turf or the condition of the WI touring party.

God I wish and hope South Africa gets back to a 5 Test summer, so we can have four year cycles: Ashes in year 1, India (4 tests [would love that up to 5 TBH) and SL 2/3 Tests in year 2 [I can't see why we can't have 7 test summers if England can do it]; South Africa in year 3 and the 4th summer being NZ / Pakistan / Bangladesh.

To think it wasn't too long ago we played 5 Test series home and away against WI. All those years of trying to win the Frank Worrell Trophy and then we do and they've not had much sniff of winning in back in 20 years.

We also need to go back to playing mid-year Tests in Cairns/Darwin.

looking at Test cricket only, Australia's upcoming assignments after the New Zealand/West Indies season is:

AWAY - 3 Tests vs New Zealand starting February 2016
AWAY - 3 Tests vs Sri Lanka starting July 2016
HOME - 4 Tests vs South Africa starting October 2016
HOME - 3 Tests vs Pakistan starting December 2016

That's a bit more like it!

Here is a link to the ICC "Future Tours" Program

http://icc-live.s3.amazonaws.com/cm...f Copy of FTP 2015 to 2019 as at Nov 2014.pdf

I love listening to Chappelli's commentary and thoughts on cricket, although he seems even MORE curmudgeonly than normal today - maybe (to quote a close mate) someone "pissed in his cornflakes this morning" :)

I caught a little bit of the Pakistan vs UAE series and there really is a stark difference between people who are hired to be professional, incisive and instructive commentators (Sky Sports) and those who are loud-mouthed, nauseating, jingoistic fan boys (Channel Nine).

I love listening to Chappelli's commentary and thoughts on cricket, although he seems even MORE curmudgeonly than normal today - maybe (to quote a close mate) someone "pissed in his cornflakes this morning" :)

I caught a little bit of the Pakistan vs UAE series and there really is a stark difference between people who are hired to be professional, incisive and instructive commentators (Sky Sports) and those who are loud-mouthed, nauseating, jingoistic fan boys (Channel Nine).

He was right about NZs fielding though ;-)

The whole nine commentary team for cricket and NRL needs an enema.

But Gerard Whetley is on ABC RADIO so the choice is easy...silence.

Couldn't agree more and add Taylor and that loud mouth bogan James brayshaw,he is why I don't listen to mmm football here in Melbourne,it's like a little boys club with a few of them
Having said that abc radio has a couple of new voices this year and would rather listen to radio than half of the ch9 team
Oh we wish Richie,Tony and Bill were still there,a couple of them would be turning in there grave listening to the rubbish we listen to
Just let us watch cricket instead of listening to the endless dribble

How good is it to come home after work and watch test match cricket.

Not sure why Foxtel can no longer show highlights like they used to, or why channel nine dont at least have a highlights package on Gem of an evening.

The last test I barely saw a ball bowled with work. It was over by the time I was home.....

Screen Shot 2015-11-14 at 10.50.08 am.png

Well, another pancake-flat Test pitch in Australia - by my calculations the sixth in a row since the beginning of last summer - makes me wonder why the hell you'd want to become a fast bowler in this country. Where is the incentive? I didn't enjoy last years "bat-a-thon" and fear that the one currently unfolding could be as equally tedious.

The essence of sport is the contest, at each and every level of competition. It's why Sheffield Shield cricket is still regarded as the strongest First Class competition in the cricketing world, as the competition is unyielding. Sadly, Cricket Australia seemingly places financial gain ahead of authenticity where Test cricket is concerned. The results of this are of course fantastic for the top six batsmen, who can fill their boots and boast "home" averages of 50+. Yet when these same players confront livelier wickets - as in the two most recent tours of the UK - they are often found wanting.

Maybe I'm just a miserable old codger (well, I will be 40 next year!) who pines for the Test cricket he grew up with, but surely a bit of pace and bounce in the bloody pitch isn't too much to ask? :)

The way Carl Hooper is striking the ball in this All star game, perhaps West Indies should send him an SOS for the test series!

Another West Indian signed on for the BBL - Andre Russell playing with the Thunder while the WIndies are playing tests here.

The way Carl Hooper is striking the ball in this All star game, perhaps West Indies should send him an SOS for the test series!

Another West Indian signed on for the BBL - Andre Russell playing with the Thunder while the WIndies are playing tests here.
It will be a bit like the old days of World Series Cricket mate, with the inexperienced players in the national team playing Test matches and the older, more experienced blokes playing elsewhere at the same time. It really is a sad state of affairs isn't it?

Well, it could be an intriguing day at the WACA today - will New Zealand bat and bat and bat, or will they be bowled out? Will Australia settle for batting practice, attempt to set-up a day five run-chase, or collapse spectacularly like at Adelaide in the 2003/04 Test against India?

What I do know, is that old mate "WinVis" will have ABSOLUTELY no idea!! :)

Back
Top Bottom