ShipMyCards - USA Address and Shipping Service

Damn it's a savage price these days.

20210809_102232.jpg

To be fair there was a bit there.

Hey all, quite a newb here when it comes to smc. Heard nothing but great things about it and no longer have the anxiety of having to buy a card off ebay and pay ridiculous shipping costs!

I have a few questions which i couldnt seem to find any answers to in previous posts

1. Lots - what classifed as a lot? Is it just a small amount of cards or can it be a lot of a few hundred cards? Does this make a difference to the lot fee when being sent to smc?

2. Smc to comc - Does smc ship direct to comc? Looking to buy lots on ebay and just trying to figure out if its more economical to send to comc via smc.

Thanks

Last edited:
If you are shipping a card worth $10,000 then is their import GST paid on the card using SMC?

The card has been purchased from Goldin (so not eBay).

Hey all, quite a newb here when it comes to smc. Heard nothing but great things about it and no longer have the anxiety of having to buy a card off ebay and pay ridiculous shipping costs!

I have a few questions which i couldnt seem to find any answers to in previous posts

1. Lots - what classifed as a lot? Is it just a small amount of cards or can it be a lot of a few hundred cards? Does this make a difference to the lot fee when being sent to smc?

2. Smc to comc - Does smc ship direct to comc? Looking to buy lots on ebay and just trying to figure out if its more economical to send to comc via smc.

Thanks

Based on their pricing, I'd say a lot is anything more than 1 card but not quite the size of a standard box of cards, if that helps. For the Oregon address (for anything over $35US), SMC fee is $5 per card, $8 per lot, $10 per standard box of modern cards.

Not sure about COMC.

If you are shipping a card worth $10,000 then is their import GST paid on the card using SMC?

The card has been purchased from Goldin (so not eBay).

You only pay import fees if you declare a value of $1000AU or more. What you choose to have SMC insure it for is separate from the declared value, but the max insurance is $5k US.

Hey guys. Just wondering if anyone knows if there is a certain amount of time you need to have between shipments when avoiding the GST with customs?

For my first shipment I just got hit with a $200 customs/border fee even though I kept the number of cards under $1000 value. Looks like the exchange rate changed between buying the cards and shipping them. Pretty disappointed because now the whole thing cost me way more than just buying in oz.

Just to (belatedly) follow this up, any fees/taxes will be charged at the exchange rate on the day the imports reach your country. There is not really any other way this can be done.

Having previously owned a business that imported and wholesaled sporting equipment we used to often forward lock currency if I felt exchange rates were going to fall. I got caught out a few times on cashflow forecasting for GST and import duty when the exchange rate moved significantly (8 to 10c) downward between locking currency in and the goods arriving in New Zealand. On shipments worth hundreds of thousands of USD the changes in GST especially could run to tens of thousands of dollars extra on large exchange rate movements. In the big scheme of things it wasn't a huge amount of money and the GST could be claimed back, but, when we were heading in to a new season and short on cash it could make for some awkward moments when I realised how much bigger the bill was than expected!

Long story short — don't run too close on your declared value and get caught out. The last order I had shipped was nearly 500 cards in 65 lots. I just listed each lot as $1 to get to $65USD total and insured for closer to the full value.

They don't accept international buyers, hence you need to liaise with SMC to buy it and then pay them.
Gotcha. That's a pity. There's some really decent deals on there compared with ebay. I'm trying to get a 1981 Topps Joe Montana and not fussed about the grade. You could get a PSA6 on my slabs for $160.( someone looks to have snaffled it) Anyway, you can get an SGC 7.5 on my slabs for $225. On ebay you get an SGC 5.5 for the same price but then have to pay postage and customs duty. It's tough being a collector in oz.

Back
Top Bottom