Question about Pokemon Theme Decks...

Vibrant

OzCardTrader
Real Name
Vicki
eBay User
vibrantpointofview
Hi all! I'm just beginning collecting Pokemon cards with my son, and I'm currently gathering information. Could someone please tell me, do cards in theme decks have their own numbering system, or do they have the same numbers as the cards released in the corresponding booster packs? I ask this because I have found out that some theme decks have exclusive cards, and now I'm a little confused as to how it works! I'd appreciate someone explaining it to me please! Thanks! :lol:

Hmm, I don't think theme decks from before 2003 have had exclusive cards; except when you looking at the japanese quick starter sets, or some of the japanese theme decks.

From what I gather, I am pretty sure that theme deck cards are exactly like booster pack cards. The numbers are nothing different, and if a theme box refer's to 'exclusive cards', that will generally mean towards a starter deck hologram. A hologram which is found in normal booster packs anyways.

I collect up until the legendary set, and I have never heard of any english theme decks which include there on exclusive cards.

Maybe only machamp 1st edition, from the base set, but will have to double check.

Thanks again! lol The wiki does specify the few decks that have "exclusive" cards - from what I have read its generally only one (or two maybe?) card(s) that is found in the boosters - but the opposite type (holo or non). But I'm just not sure how they would number these "extra" cards? I just can't remember which ones had these cards off the top of my head - I'll have to go back and check...
So your'e saying that the cards you get in the theme decks have the same set number as their counterparts in the boosters? No separate numbering system?

Hi Vicki,

The numbering of the cards in the theme decks is the same as in the boosters.

Yes, some decks have 1 or 2 exclusive cards that may either be a holo version of a non-holo card from the normal set or vice versa, again their numbering is the same.

Here's a link to the list of the exclusives from the pre-ex (2003) decks:

http://pokebeach.com/tcg/theme-decks

It's time consuming but you can also click on each theme deck in the following link to see the complete deck list. The exclusives are marked as (holo) or (non-holo) in each list:

http://www.pokemon-paradijs.com/ruilkaarten/decks.php

Hope this helps!
Nick

PS Learn to play the game too, hours of fun for you and the boy!

Thanks Nick, I'll check out the links you posted for me, time consuming or not, I'm one of those pedantic collectors who must have EVERY possible card! :rolleyes:
Thanks for the tip on learning to play too - it just looks so darn complicated! lol

You are most welcome Vicki. I'm a bit of a completist myself so I spent a lot of time looking for checklists to help my cause. Must admit though that I gave up on Pokemon because it was coming out faster than my finances could bear, especially since I was trying to complete the entire back catalog at the same time. I think I made it up to Stormfront and then packed it all in.
Give me a yell if there's anything you are having difficulties in locating as I may have it for you - just may take a while to dig it all out, lol!

The game isn't that hard at all. Just follow the rule book that comes with the deck then google any rules you are unclear of, heaps of info out there and many online guides. The best way to learn is to play, even if you get it wrong the first few times you'll quickly pick up the basics and slowly build on them. It's very addictive :) Good luck!

Oh, if you are reluctant to use your mint cards, like I was, just buy a couple of cheap decks.

It seems to me we have a similar collecting style! ;) Yes, I am reluctant to use mint cards, but I am stockpiling the doubles to play the game with those. I'm sure we will have plenty to play with before too long!
It's a shame you gave up collecting after all the "hard" work and investment! I've only just begun collecting, and I'm already cringing at the amount of money I know that I am going to have to fork out to catch up on over 10 years worth of expansions (and some of the single promotional cards and rare cards can be worth a small fortune alone)! Not to mention the fact that Pokemon is not the only cards we are collecting! My son has two other collections, my daughter is just beginning her first, and I have a few on the go myself! lol
I most certainly will keep you in mind down the track when I am seeking out individual cards. I'm going to try getting the bulk of each expansion before trying to hunt specific things down. But just so I know, do you have much in the way of promo cards and error cards? And do you have 1st editions and/or shadowless cards? If your collection is buried, don't worry about specifics, just what you remember off the top of your head. But one thing I am looking for now are the old-school vinyl binders that Nintendo released back in 1999-2000 - the ones that have a single small character on the front and a clip on the side of the binder that holds the cover closed. You wouldn't happen to have those would you?
Oh yeah! And I have another question that you may be able to help me with... I'm confused as to the difference between "standard set" and "parallel set"? That suggests to me that there are two versions (with the same number) of most cards in the expansions - is that right? And also, what is the difference between holo and reverse holo? Is that connected to the parallel set somehow?

It seems to me we have a similar collecting style! ;) Yes, I am reluctant to use mint cards, but I am stockpiling the doubles to play the game with those. I'm sure we will have plenty to play with before too long!
It's a shame you gave up collecting after all the "hard" work and investment! I've only just begun collecting, and I'm already cringing at the amount of money I know that I am going to have to fork out to catch up on over 10 years worth of expansions (and some of the single promotional cards and rare cards can be worth a small fortune alone)! Not to mention the fact that Pokemon is not the only cards we are collecting! My son has two other collections, my daughter is just beginning her first, and I have a few on the go myself! lol
I most certainly will keep you in mind down the track when I am seeking out individual cards. I'm going to try getting the bulk of each expansion before trying to hunt specific things down. But just so I know, do you have much in the way of promo cards and error cards? And do you have 1st editions and/or shadowless cards? If your collection is buried, don't worry about specifics, just what you remember off the top of your head. But one thing I am looking for now are the old-school vinyl binders that Nintendo released back in 1999-2000 - the ones that have a single small character on the front and a clip on the side of the binder that holds the cover closed. You wouldn't happen to have those would you?
Oh yeah! And I have another question that you may be able to help me with... I'm confused as to the difference between "standard set" and "parallel set"? That suggests to me that there are two versions (with the same number) of most cards in the expansions - is that right? And also, what is the difference between holo and reverse holo? Is that connected to the parallel set somehow?

oops, that wasn't supposed to post twice! D'oh! :oops:

Where do I start :)

Yes, I completed all 1st and 3rd gen sets working from the outside and going in so I think I only finished a few of the 2nd gen sets. I have most of the promos up until 3 years ago when I stopped, some errors, odd binders but not the original ones you are after.

The holos are the ones where the text part looks normal but they have a holo picture, they are black star holo rares, typically the first 12 or so cards in the set and some hidden rares that number beyond the actual set numbering eg the EX Dragon set numbers to 97 but there are 3 hidden rares, 98 Charmander, 99 Charmeleon & 100 Charizard. Then there's the silver bordered ex holo's or lexel X in the next generation that have a silver star and number at the end of the set. The reverse holos are the opposite of holos with the picture appearing normal but the rest of the card being more of a shiny foil finish. These number from card 1 all the way to the end, not including the silver holos, and are referred to as a parallel set since their pictures, text and numbering are the same as the normal set. Some sets have reverse holo versions of energy cards too, but not all.

Hope this makes it a little clearer :)

Back
Top Bottom