Question about Mailing from Australia to USA

rowancv

OzCardTrader
Real Name
Ro
eBay User
rowancv
I bought a card from Australia and asked for a tracking #, and here's what the seller told me:

"AS FOR A TRACKING #, THEY DON'T ACTUALLY DO THAT AT MY LOCAL POST OFFICE, BUT I ALWAYS SEND HIGHER END CARDS VIA INTERATIONAL SIGNED FOR MAIL, WHICH COSTS ME APPX AUD$12.00 THIS WAY, YOU WILL SIGN FOR CARD ONCE IT ARRIVES & IT IS INSURED. I HAVE NOT LOST A SINGLE ITEM USING THIS METHOD. I PROMISE I WILL SHIP CARD FIRST THING TOMORROW & IT USUALLY TAKES APPX 10 DAYS OR SO TO ARRIVE (GIVE A DAY OR 2 BOTH WAYS)."

Is that true? That in some places you can't get a tracking #? It's a high-end card, and I just wanna verify that I'm safe.. thanks mates ;).

-Ro

tim410au: i see. thanks for the reply. are you from autralia? can anyone confirm that the australian post office really does not do tracking #s?

Hey ro, I don't usually send mail registered/with tracking so I can't help you out much unfortunately, but here's a couple of links that you may be able to use.

Australia Post International Services | Send a Parcel shows the type of service you can use.
Australia Post shows prices on methods.

So while tracking may be possible on Express Post International packages, it costs about $50 compared to $20 for registered post.

I send any high end cards via international registered or express. usually costs me $18 or so and has a tracking number. Never heard of tracking not being available.

Ry

exzibit3: hey bro, thanks for the links, and thanks for the input- really appreciate that. if that is the case, then i can see why he didnt pay $50 to ship the card.

ryawil0: hey ry, thank you as well. the guy was saying he sent it "international signed for mail." is that different from registered?

exzibit3: hey bro, thanks for the links, and thanks for the input- really appreciate that. if that is the case, then i can see why he didnt pay $50 to ship the card.

ryawil0: hey ry, thank you as well. the guy was saying he sent it "international signed for mail." is that different from registered?

Thats delivery confirmation, not tracking. If the card is worth a lot, I suggest you pay the extra $ for tracking, it's worth a piece of mind, depending on location, it can cost up to $33.

ozballer23: oh i see. well, he already paid for it- i didnt realize i could pay extra because i didnt even know it was available, as he told me that it wasn't available, specifically in his local post office. but at least it will be signed for, so i'm hoping for the best. thanks again!

Here's the options:

Regular airmail $2.05 (2-3 weeks) [deliv. confirmation available for $4-5]

Registered letter $9ish (2-3 weeks but you're not supposed to send anything other than documents, it's an offence to send merchandise) - this has a tracking # but it's not 'online' trackable.

International express letter <$10 (but again I think you're not supposed to send other than documents and it's not online trackable)

Insured parcel $16ish (2-3 weeks - not trackable unless you make a claim that it didn't arrive through aus post)

Express Courier International $45ish (5 days, online trackable)

I bought a card from Australia and asked for a tracking #, and here's what the seller told me:

"AS FOR A TRACKING #, THEY DON'T ACTUALLY DO THAT AT MY LOCAL POST OFFICE, BUT I ALWAYS SEND HIGHER END CARDS VIA INTERATIONAL SIGNED FOR MAIL, WHICH COSTS ME APPX AUD$12.00 THIS WAY, YOU WILL SIGN FOR CARD ONCE IT ARRIVES & IT IS INSURED. I HAVE NOT LOST A SINGLE ITEM USING THIS METHOD. I PROMISE I WILL SHIP CARD FIRST THING TOMORROW & IT USUALLY TAKES APPX 10 DAYS OR SO TO ARRIVE (GIVE A DAY OR 2 BOTH WAYS)."

Is that true? That in some places you can't get a tracking #? It's a high-end card, and I just wanna verify that I'm safe.. thanks mates ;).

-Ro

Hi Pre,

I always use regitered mail to US for expensive cards and it cost around $19.35 for under 500grams. It has a tracking number and you will sign for it.

Hope that helps.

Benny J: hey man, seller's name is "temptingjohn" ..but the card i bought is a nonsports card from a nonsportscard seller, so i doubt he is on this board. thanks.

gemini0928: thanks for the additional info. i gather that things must be different depending on where a person is. either that, or the seller i am dealing with just doesn't know (?). you guys have been so helpful and i really thank you all for the responses. i'll remain positive about it and hope for the best!

Hi Pre,

I always use regitered mail to US for expensive cards and it cost around $19.35 for under 500grams. It has a tracking number and you will sign for it.

Hope that helps.

that's insured not registered :cool: and it ranges from $14 up depending on the weight

that's insured not registered :cool: and it ranges from $14 up depending on the weight

Its registered. I've done it a lot of times...

img016b.jpg

Its up to 500gms and $500.

Auspost Registered International

But for more expensive one, I'll use the Parcel post with insurance... Totally different service.

img016b.jpg

Its registered. I've done it a lot of times...

img016b.jpg

Its up to 500gms and $500.

Auspost Registered International

But for more expensive one, I'll use the Parcel post with insurance... Totally different service.

exactly what I do - thought I was going mad there with all these other quotes flying around. As I said - usually costs me about $18-$20.

Ry

Well I'll be damned - that's a (NEW) service!! Not quite sure why you'd use that instead of the insured parcel though, it's more expensive?

Back
Top Bottom