Private Health Insurance

Verse1

No Glove, No love.
Real Name
Nick
eBay User
VerseOne79
I've never had private health insurance before but im in my 30's now and have been thinking its probably a good idea to look into it since im not getting any younger.
I've never had to look into it before so im a little like a fish out of water atm with all the different company's around.

Who are you with and why did you choose them? What are things to look out for in the small print etc?

Any help/advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers Nick

I don't have full-on Health Insurance, just the extras bit. But I went with HBF primarily because they had no limit on the amount of General Dental you could use. Everyone else has limits.

I got MBP cause it was the corporate rate at work lol and cause tassie didn't have many options like the mainland. I herd bupa (i think that is now they spell it) is meant to be cheap and ok.

Tell you want the thing saved my bacon from the hospital vists i've had in the last few weeks. Otherwise i'd be selling my MJs right now haha. And guess what, this just come on suddenly. there was no warning signs or anything. They still kind of guessing and trying different meds. If they don't work they eliminate that and diagnose further.

Shit thing is since you are over 30, you will be paying a higher premium for every year you are over 30. which gets balanced out. example if insurance is $100 a month you may be paying $105.

I'm in same boat, no health insurance.
What's this tax thing all about after June 30? Is it a big hike or just enough to get people on private health?

I'm with MBP, been with them since I started working. Saved my arse and paid for itself already with 4x $12k ankle operations, as well as subsidised optical and dental.

MBP offer members an annual "bonus" of $100, which can bank up to I think $500 max. That can be used on practically anything to do with health (from meds to sports equipment to crutches to gym memberships, etc).

I will admit, they're not cheap, and I am looking elsewhere, as these guys continue to go up and up.

One story with them, I once cancelled my level of cover and dropped it down, but that level excluded elective surgery, and I required another ankle op, and they allowed me to go back up, and pay the differences in policies since I was 6 weeks since changing (they allow 30 days cool-off between policy changes). I was very appreciative for that!

My wife and kids have been with Defence Health for 23 years, as for me, I don't personally have health insurance, no need to thank god as I have a Vet Affairs Gold Card.

Im 29 and I've had private since I was 18, there are pros and cons, private is good if you need elective surgery so your not on waiting lists like public. At the end of the day if you have something important or an emergency that needs to be operated on you will still get it through public straight away. Private is good for extras but you pay for it, I use it a lot for physio. The rebate thing after June only affects those that have a combined income over $180k, it means you don't get the 30% rebate from the government.

Never had it....I live in a regional area where there are limited private beds....so even if you have private health you're not guaranteed a private bed. Even my doctor says it's a waste of time!!
You'd be better off putting the same amount of money into a high interest savings account (or some sort of investment fund) and forget about it until you need it. (Unless of course you earn over the income threshold.)

well. we live on the Goldy so its required as the pub health system is the second biggest joke behind the pub school system so I'd hate to not have it here and be stuck at the GC Hospital, at least in Adelaide we had Flinders. On the GC without private health is like playing Russian roulette.

We also get corporate rates (10-15% off or something) due to my job so that helps.

It is worth it, If you don't have your health then you have nothing. It's good for the piece of mind for that one time you may need it.

Never had it....I live in a regional area where there are limited private beds....so even if you have private health you're not guaranteed a private bed. Even my doctor says it's a waste of time!!
You'd be better off putting the same amount of money into a high interest savings account (or some sort of investment fund) and forget about it until you need it. (Unless of course you earn over the income threshold.)

This is an excellent point, I have family in the same situation. do your research... I guess it's diff for everyone

Nick, YOU OLD FART! hahahah! Ive only got Extras, mainly for physio and Ambulance cover cos I have the 3 kids... Have to look at going full cover sooner or later but not until the missus is working at least!

Oh, Im with Health Partners here in Adelaide, not sure if they are interstate or not!

Back
Top Bottom