Player Collectors - Feel the pain!!!

kidd05

OzCardTrader
Real Name
Carlos
eBay User
cahl0s05
I have finally decided, that I will no longer try and get every Kidd card I see. I will now only buy/trade for Kidd cards which are auto'd or are GU's/parallels with a print run not more than 100 (will concentrate on /25 and below). I'll be selling every auto/GU card I own that isn't a /100 or less. :p

Reason is obvious.. it's so damn expensive and impossible to keep this up! Every Kidd auto or jersey I see on eBay, I get the urge to buy it even if I can't afford it.

I don't wanna stop collecting NBA cards, as this has been my hobby ever since I was 14.. now, I find enjoyment in buying and selling and trading.. but my favorite pasttime now is finding steals on eBay for very nice cards.

Anyone else with similar thoughts? Reactions?

If anyone knows a Kidd collector, refer them to me. :) I've like 40 GU's to unload and 500+ inserts/commons. Oh yeah, I'll be keeping the RC's and hard to find inserts of course. :)

I know exactly how ya feel.

When I started collecting D Rob cards again, I was just buying anything and everything that I didn't have. Cost me a fortune.

When I decided to start collecting J Rich, all I am collecting are GU's and Autos.

It is hard when there are so many cards out there to fight the urge to buy them.

I feel the pain indeed, I'm sure many of us do matey!

Sorry to hear ur stripping ur PC down to the high ended stuff.

Perhaps you should just keep what you have (Auto-wise) and sell the rest, and concentrate on the low #'d stuff from now??? Just a thought..

I've thought about doing that with Harris, since watching 2 Exquisites going for $200USD+ each, they were both #/99. I figured the next ones to come out will have less bidders, cos all the main players are slowly getting their share..

Good luck with PC Carlos!!

Mavs - true.. I can keep the autos... and sell all the GU. Actually, I should just collect Kidd autos. Stuff the GU's. :p

Hmm.. I guess we should all stop and realize from time to time that this is just a hobby- which should bring us fun, without much financial pain. :lol: If your goal is to own every card of the player you collect, and you're spending unwisely anymore- it's already addiction. :(

I can imagine Graham's pain. :p I mean, Kidd is tough enough to collect, but there are lots of his cards.. compared to GH. :'(

Devin Harris- I'm sure you started out doing great Scotty, but man, Dallas is kicking ass, and sooner or later, there will be fifty thousand Devin fans out there who will start buying his cards. :(

Oh well, at least we all already have something to brag about in our collections. :)

I've done pretty much the same thing, basically now as much as I love collecting Jordan cards, there are way too many to try and get. At the moment in trying to finish off a set of the Ultimate jersey cards (as there really was much MJ stuff around that I was chasing + I already had the MJ) but once thats finished, Ill go back to collecting the Jordan jersey/patch cards I like the look of.

Maybe a suggestion for your Kidd collection, keep his high end rookie cards, his auto's and his higher game used gear and raffle off the rest.

Cheers
Matt

hmm,
this is why i dont really collect any players..
i will just get an auto or gu card of aplayer i like,
and thats it..
that said, i am getting more 'higher-end' stuff since when i first began collecting..

but i generally only like to have one auto of a player..

it is certainly hard for player collectors these day, when i first got back into cards and decided i was going to try and get every pippen card, i would buy shitloads and now i have alot of his cards, the ones i need are the rarer ones and it is harder and harder to justify spending up large, maybe one day when i hopefully have a well paying job [-o< i'll be able to go harder at them. but until those days come i'll just try and pick up the bargains along the way. i've started to collect a bit of lamar odom to his cards are alot cheaper than pippens

This is part of the reason for my turn to vintage only. At least my goals now have an end in sight. I'm not really that far away owning every Celtic card from 1933-1995. Thats my goal and its a realistic one at least.

Parallels are killing the hobby not to mention the amount of product.

I'd go with just the autos Carlos and and money saved will make the low end ones more attainable.

Yeah, I can definitely relate to that Carlos! I originally only stuck to the game-used and auto's of Pierce, but I was spending a shitload. I've fallen back to only the short printed auto's or patches or Jerseys I really like. Even doing that bites hard.
I tell myself, I'm not buying anything this week, then up comes a really nice Auto Patch Card! :lol: Before you know it, you're bank account has drastically dropped and you wonder where your tax return ran off to! :lol: ....not me, someone I know :wink:

Right now I'm concentrating on my MVP set, it's cheaper! Lol

Damn, I wish I had a big pile of cash to spend on cards!

I can relate to this and I also have chosen the path like most ppl who have responded.

It is quite impossible to collect all the Allen Iverson cards out there and my AI collector colleague has just sold some of his AI cards and just keeping his high end ones. I chose the other path. I've decided to keep my collection and I'll get whatever card I like, design and what the card offers such as patch etc.

Cheers!~

yeah ive just discovered how much im spending on cards and it kinda shocked me so i will try and be a little more selective in what i buy from now on, im thinking auto's and patch cards are the way to go , :D :D :D

i agree kidd05, but i learnt this a long while ago.. hahaha.. i didn't even attempt to get as many zo cards as you have of kidd. of zo i have about 300 in total but after that i gave up.

I think we all need to remember as well, that collecting, in any form requires you to spend money.

Fair enuff, that some cards in our cases, will cost a lot, and most collections will never be sold off again, so we lose a lot of $ out of collecting, but if you are truley devoted to collecting the player(s) which you do, then you would understand that there is no reason to worry about the financial loss.

I mean, sure we could spend $200 in a week/2 weeks/month on a card or cards, and then think, "shit I just spent $200, blah blah blah", but 2-3 months later, you turn back and say "I dont miss that $200"....

I know I do.

The problems most of us encounter these days, is competition, and price driven sellers.

THIS is what causes us to thin out our collections, and stop, or start new ones, or leave, or whatever...

Carlos... if you sell off half ur Kidd collection, what will you gain? I mean, you'll probably get say $200 (GUESSTIMATE ONLY), spend $200 on some more Kidd's or something for you day-to-day lifestyle, then what?

Wouldnt it be easier to save $200 and buy what you intended to buy?

All I'm saying is that PCs these days mean more to most people than $$.... Sell them off, and you're left with nothing.... of course, if people are happy doing this, so be it.

Best of luck guys...

MavsMan© said:
I think we all need to remember as well, that collecting, in any form requires you to spend money.

Fair enuff, that some cards in our cases, will cost a lot, and most collections will never be sold off again, so we lose a lot of $ out of collecting, but if you are truley devoted to collecting the player(s) which you do, then you would understand that there is no reason to worry about the financial loss.

I mean, sure we could spend $200 in a week/2 weeks/month on a card or cards, and then think, "shit I just spent $200, blah blah blah", but 2-3 months later, you turn back and say "I dont miss that $200"....

I know I do.

The problems most of us encounter these days, is competition, and price driven sellers.

THIS is what causes us to thin out our collections, and stop, or start new ones, or leave, or whatever...

Carlos... if you sell off half ur Kidd collection, what will you gain? I mean, you'll probably get say $200 (GUESSTIMATE ONLY), spend $200 on some more Kidd's or something for you day-to-day lifestyle, then what?

Wouldnt it be easier to save $200 and buy what you intended to buy?

All I'm saying is that PCs these days mean more to most people than $$.... Sell them off, and you're left with nothing.... of course, if people are happy doing this, so be it.

Best of luck guys...

Thanks Mr Collector Guru Dr Phil. :)

Nah seriously, what you said was right. I haven't spent an insane amount of money on my Kidd collection- I can honestly say I've spent not more than $1500 on all of it (in my whole life of collecting). If I sell all of these, I can get an average of $4 per GU (so thats around $160 more or less).. and an average of $30 per auto ($780). So that sums up to $940. So in my case- that's not a lot of money to be sorely missed considering I spent 10+ years of my life building up my Kidd collection (95% of which I only attained the past 2 years)..

It's not worth going thru all the effort to get back that $1000. :D I'm happy with what I've got and proud of it..

But yeah, I still think I should stop trying to go get every Kidd card out there. As long as you start having a new and different mindset (just go for the rarer ones perhaps 1 card a month?), you should be able to balance this financially.

Thanks for the input!

I expereinced the same thing when I got back into card collecting! Tried to get as many Jordans as I could, but then realised its way too hard so sold off everything after his first retirement bar a few ones I liked and concentrating on completing up to his retirement.

At the moment trying to do the same thing with Wade, but that's getting harder recently. Was lucky that I jumped on his band wagon before he came a big time star and managed to get a couple of nice cards, but now too many collectors!

Just started with Channing Frye, think I might just stick to his RC's, GU's and Auto's! Maybe I'll make a killing when he hits super stardom and can laugh down on those other Wade collectors when I outbid them with my Channing Frye finances! :lol:

Back
Top Bottom